Home

After 150 games, I can honestly say the show 18 has been an utter disappointment...

This is a discussion on After 150 games, I can honestly say the show 18 has been an utter disappointment... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
After 150 games, I can honestly say the show 18 has been an utter disappointment...

I'm not even sure where to start with this, but after playing upwards of 150 games, I am so incredibly disappointed specifically with the gameplay that I've considered shelving it. I know many of you are going to disagree and that's fine, but let me explain why I'm so frustrated. Let me preface this by saying I play on Legend and my sliders are close to default with a few adjustments:

- Pop ups - same as last year, they're totally out of control, basically because fouling the ball back doesn't exist as much as it should. In real life, batters that are under a pitch generally foul it back. In the show, it's a pop up . . . almost all the time.

- Ball Physics in General - the pop-up issue is directly tied to the fact that the ball physics in general are just broken. You can be RIGHT on a pitch and hit a can of corn. Likewise, you can have the PCI nowhere near the ball and hit a bullet. The developers say it's a dice roll. Why? If you're right on a pitch, why is it a dice roll? Shouldn't it be directly affected by ball physics and a players strength (or contact) rating? It's a dice roll because real ball physics in this game aren't real, especially on higher difficulties. I'm tired of the game dictating when a player is in a slump. I'm tired of the game dictating when a ball is going to be a hit and when it's not. The fact is that when I'm RIGHT on a pitch, I have NO idea where it's going, I have NO idea how hard it's going to be hit and I have NO idea if it's going to be a hit or not.

- Animations - honestly, I feel this is BY FAR the weakest point of the game. The animation system is just broken. Too many times an animation doesn't even kick in and a fielder doesn't even make a play on a ball. Other time it kicks in too early. Sometimes the wrong animation kicks in. There are FAR too many oles, fielders getting caught on the wall (a legacy issue for YEARS now that still hasn't been eradicated), outfielders taking their sweet time on singles allowing them to turn into doubles, outfielders running in mud allowing fly balls to drop in and runners to take an extra base, etc. The animation system is flat out broken.

- Fielding - directly tied to the animation system, MANUAL fielding is an absolute nightmare, so much so that a LARGE contingent of regular users have decided to use auto fielding because manual fielding is so painful. Fielding is like one of the 3 biggest parts of baseball (hitting and pitching being the other two). When 1/3 of the game literally doesn't work so people have to simply not use it and make it auto, that's a problem.

- Tagging - again, directly tied to the animation system. The developers made it a point to market the revamped tagging system, yet it's still as broken as ever. Way too many plays where the runner looks CLEARLY out and the ball beats the runner by easily 2 feet but the runner slides around the tag. Yes, this happens in real life on occasion. In the show, it happens every single game and usually more than once.

- Wild pitches - yes, these can NOW be toned down using the Human and CPU Pitcher Consistency Sliders, but how about the fact that the CPU pitcher ALWAYS covers home on a wild pitch whereas the human pitcher almost never does? Try it out if you haven't already. The human pitcher will SLOWLY cover home on a wild pitch, allowing the runner to score. The CPU pitcher is a CAT, quickly covers the plate faster than any normal human should be able to and you're constantly gunned down, and this is on wild pitches that are by the backstop.

- Grounders up the middle hitting the pitcher - horrid, simply horrid. I've seen grounders hit pitchers in the head, in the groin, in the underarm, pretty much everywhere. What's worse is they almost always unrealistically ricochet to a fielder resulting in an out. Sometimes they hit the pitcher and then bound fifteen feet up in the air and are caught on the fly. Again, this is directly tied to the broken ball physics.

- Generated Rallies - I never feel like I shut down the CPU because I pitched well. Everything feels generated. It feels like the game dictates when a rally should happen and when it shouldn't. The incessant foul balls so a hitter stays alive. The broken bat grounders resulting in convenient infield hits. The grounders in the hole that the fielder almost always makes, yet this time he has to stop, set his feet and throw, allowing the runner to be safe. The outfielders taking their time or double pumping or crow hopping allowing the runner to take an extra base. Everything feels generated. Nothing feels real. I feel like my skill dictates almost nothing.

Patches - I'm all for patches that fix things, but when patches DIRECTLY affect gameplay 4 months into the cycle forcing us to revise our sliders every single time, that's just insanity. There's no reason whatsoever that a patch should completely alter gameplay to the point that I have to edit my sliders every single time so it plays realistically, yet this happens EVERY SINGLE PATCH.

I'm just so absurdly frustrated with this game. Yes, it's the best baseball game I've ever played, but that doesn't mean much when your competition is older gen games that didn't utilize the power of the PS4. It doesn't mean much when its predecessors were utilizing obsolete artificial intelligence engines. I'm sorry, but this game should be MUCH better than it is and it's not. I know many of you love the game, but every single issue I've presented above has happened to every single one of us and these things directly impact my enjoyment of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Rookie

kaptainkarl76's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: After 150 games, I can honestly say the show 18 has been an utter disappointment.

You forgot about way too many double plays and commentary that is simply repetitive or broken.

"When talking about his hitting streak...yada yada..he's slugging over .500" I heard that same line of commentary 5 times in one at-bat and way too many times during one game...Has to be a bug, but I don't think it will ever be fixed this year..
Old 08-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: After 150 games, I can honestly say the show 18 has been an utter disappointment.

You guys bring up some great points. And you should be hard pressed to find many that haven't experienced everything you have mentioned.

I do wish a lot of these things and some others were fixed or better implemented, but I also feel as though this is still the best baseball game I have ever played. And probably top 6 best sports titles of all time, in my book. But to each their own, obviously. I cannot fault anyone for being thrilled with this title, or anyone that is burnt-out or frustrated with it, either.

All I could hope is that more people keep pointing out the shortcomings in this series and hopefully the developers still read them, and then work on them to improve them ASAP. That is something that should benefit us all, no matter where on the spectrum we fall in our liking of this game. Just try and do it constructively. I know I've gotten bent over the NHL series and other games that are less than desirable to me and it really doesn't seem to get you anywhere (unless you are some youtuber or loud mouth twitch persona, it seems).

And as a last-ditch effort, try and hold-off on buying the game right away in the future if you are dismayed beyond belief. Wait for reviews or people you trust to give an opinion. Try and find it on the secondary market or as a rental if you can. Speaking with your wallet is still the best way to take action. Well, it should be. I fear when they look at the metadata that they see only card game modes being played and they figure that is their audience now and they forget about franchise, game play, etc. But still, money talks.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7

Waiting for all the "pros" to come out and list all of the things you're doing "wrong" or to list how many occurences of such instances take place in "real" baseball games simply because you have a difference of opinion than they do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Just because you would be disappointed if I did not say something. Here we go and I think you might be surprised and not so much with my response.

I can honestly see where your frustration with this game comes from, I really do. You know I have absolutely no problem calling you out and arguing with you when I disagree.

However, I don't have the level of frustration that you do. I don't know if my tastes have changed or my gaming attitude as a whole has changed. But that being said I love this years game. It is my favorite of the series so far in terms of gameplay, animations and graphics. I see the issues and understand where you are coming from. You and I have had some of the greatest trolling wars against each other and I have enjoyed them all. But I cant argue with you on this. All I can really say is I dont agree 100% and I truly am enjoying this years game, so much so that I am already thinking of passing on the next one or two until significant changes come to franchise mode.

I wish you could find the same level of happiness that I have found with it as I know you love Baseball as a true fan and I am sorry you can't.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
After 150 games, I can honestly say the show 18 has been an utter disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
Yes, it's the best baseball game I've ever played but that doesn't mean much...
I just can't reconcile these 2 quotes.

I definitely have my own personal issues with the Show in general, not limited to just 18, but I can't qualify it as a disappointment. The games I file that under are games that I stop playing 1 month after purchase. Very much looking forward to 19 and I've softened my stance from April/May about it not being a day one purchase. 18 has had it's disappointments for me but as a whole, that $99 couldn't have been better spent.

A Work in Progress
Old 08-29-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhamstar
Waiting for all the "pros" to come out and list all of the things you're doing "wrong" or to list how many occurences of such instances take place in "real" baseball games simply because you have a difference of opinion than they do.

So, this was necessary with the OP liking your comment? That’s the real reason for the thread?
Old 08-29-2018, 11:44 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
So, this was necessary with the OP liking your comment? That’s the real reason for the thread?
The hell are you even talking about? I didn't create the thread, moron, and I couldn't care less if the "OP" or anyone else likes my comment, truth hurts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »