Home

ProAm/JRC/Park Patch Thread

This is a discussion on ProAm/JRC/Park Patch Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

OVR: 0
ProAm/JRC/Park Patch Thread

OS gets real split up during this time of year. That's a fact.
What I mean by that is, guys voice concerns over gameplay and it gets real heated because there's 2 different sides to each argument: online vs offline.

I don't know how possible it is for the devs to tweak individual modes, but it should be doable. I'm trying to get all our thoughts into one thread as to not get our message misconstrued that these problems also exist offline or in other modes.

First things first,
Issue 1:

Steals.

Now, I'm a firm believer in trying to bring as much sim and real basketball to online modes as possible. We all might stray away from time to time, because to win sometimes you have to taste a little 2k cheese. But the whole dribble god 5 out ain't what me and my squad do.
So, in no way am I advocating for dribbling to become op. I absolutely love plucking dudes when they over dribble this year. And also when they're lazy and I time a knock away..as well as intercepting in the passing lanes. But....
Honestly, the spamming is insane. I don't average many on ball to's. I'm a 6'4 shot creator with an above 80 handle, but in no means a pg. I protect dribble and pass when I feel I have nothing going for me.
But...brings me to my point.
We got centers out here, that aren't supposed to be athletic, flying through the air stealing passes out of position defensively. We got pure sharps picking pockets like lockdowns.
If you played any amount of online, you'll agree even if you're not seeing the steals, you're seeing the spam effect you. Picking up dribbles, losing the ball, etc. You might get it back but it's disruptive to the flow of a basketball game.

Solution:

This is where I'm trying to get us together, not to just complain and vent, but also solve the issues.

Proposition 1:

Obviously is to tone down steals. Now, definitely not a lot on ball. To be honest I enjoy defense this year.
But we need a tweak for sure off ball.
You can't pass inside at all in a pro am game. You have everyone within the vicinity spamming x or square the second the pass goes up.

Prop 2:

This may be less popular, but increase fouls and penalty to grade for reaching in inopportune times.
Also, this is a stretch and true bandaid fix, but free throws in park for fouls would really set these dudes straight lol

Issue:

Bigs finishing down low.

Numerous times I've seen friends and random teammates incapable of finishing in traffic even with lax defense. And this is with finishing builds.
Now, is this due to defensive buffs or offensive nerfs?
Thing is, it seems like a standing layup issue. As I can drive as a 6'4 guard and finish on some bigs.
I feel like last year's standing dunk animations played a big role..but now it's almost a guaranteed miss or turnover trying to get the ball in the paint..I feel like this will lead to more iso ball, 3 pointers, and 5 out offense if left unaddressed.

Solution:

Obviously increase finishing just a little bit.

Issue:

Driving past slower defenders/stamina drain.

Okay, so this may not be a huge issue, but I feel as though if I have a mismatch I should be able to (more) easily exploit it.
It may tie-in to steals, and spamming them, but when I get a mismatch on a big I feel they're too capable of staying with me. Mainly speaking on a 5 v 5 game here. Spacing is a factor, when you do blow by you have another wing ready to come and reach at you. But I shouldn't have to work so hard to get past someone who's 7 ft +, at least not every time.
Stamina draining as well, I don't mind as much..but, it does become a little much sometimes. I know they're trying to cut down on dribble spam, but as of right now it feels unbalanced because of how good steals are. You do a couple moves to try and create separation and are liable to get plucked.

Solution:

Is this tying into steals being a little strong?

I'd say don't patch too many things, and leave this one be for now. See if nerfing steals slightly alleviates these concerns first.

Issue:

This is actually kind of a glitch, imo.
But I've noticed in ProAm a lot of and 1 continuations being called that are way too late to be considered a shot.
Like someone will reach, ref calls foul, and a second later the player who was fouled shoots and it counts as a foul.

Solution:

While I do like this feature, being able to control what happens after a foul, I feel like I've seen it happen a few times to where the delay is too long to be called a shooting foul.

As always, I'm open to discussions and opinions.
Let's throw some ideas around here, if you disagree let's discuss.

I feel like the game's great, and definitely has the tools to be even better. In no way am I saying nerf or patch anything drastically; tweak, would be a much better term to use. Slight tweaks here and there could result in beautiful gameplay.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

-Allen Iverson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: ProAm/JRC/Park Patch Thread

Related to the steals, I just posted this in the defensive impressions thread but it’s directly related to that part of your post so I figured I’d post it here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I mean this as a completely serious suggestion. I’ve seen a lot of complaints that people are spamming the steal button online. To me, the balance is good as is. If you time a steal right/the ball-handler exposes the ball, you have a good chance of getting a steal. If you don’t time it right/the ball-handler is protecting the ball, there’s a good chance you’re called for a foul.

I think the # or fouls required to foul out is a larger issue. NBA players are allowed to accumulate 6 fouls before they’re out of the game and that’s in 48 minutes of play. Online, we play roughly 20 minute games while still having the same foul limit. As a result, this tips the risk/reward in favor of going for the steal. It’s not a big deal if you’re called for a foul because you’ll pretty much never foul out anyways. There’s simply not enough possessions to foul out unless you’re pretty much trying to foul out.

If 2K bumped the number down to, let’s say 4, that changes the formula. Suddenly you’ll have to be more picky about when you reach in for a steal. Good timing/opportunistic defense will still be rewarded but reaching in at the wrong times/situations will be punished a more fair amount. This will also force defenders not to just uncontrollably jump to try to block every single shot even when they’re in poor position.

I don’t think this idea gets enough consideration as a potential way to address what is in my opinion an improvement to the on-ball defense this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 09-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Related to the steals, I just posted this in the defensive impressions thread but it’s directly related to that part of your post so I figured I’d post it here too.

I was talking about this too...only problem is you don't get fouled out in park. So that only could alleviate one aspect.

I was thinking keep the 6 fouls tho, but turn down the number of team fouls needed to go to the line.

Example: if it's under 2 minutes and you foul you go to the line, instead of having one to give.

-Allen Iverson
Old 09-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
I was talking about this too...only problem is you don't get fouled out in park. So that only could alleviate one aspect.

I was thinking keep the 6 fouls tho, but turn down the number of team fouls needed to go to the line.

Example: if it's under 2 minutes and you foul you go to the line, instead of having one to give.

You actually can foul out in the park this year. One of my teammates fouled out the other day. I think it’s 5 fouls in Park. We started laughing so hard when he got booted from the game.

NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 09-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
You actually can foul out in the park this year. One of my teammates fouled out the other day. I think it’s 5 fouls in Park. We started laughing so hard when he got booted from the game.

Ah damn that's crazy lol, I remember telling my boy last night to keep fouling this one big man down low cuz hes a guard and couldn't cover him..got lucky there

-Allen Iverson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

I def got booted/fouled out one game as well. Not sure what the magic number is but its there.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
MVP

I hope they dont start messing with the sliders mich, loving this years game compared to last
Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
Rookie

RallerenAFC's Arena

Right now all I wish they would do is punish players for getting reach-in fouls more. Reduce the number of fouls a player can get. Kick players out in park after 3 fouls (They should have done that years ago btw) and in Pro-Am kick them out after 4 or 5 fouls.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »