Home

Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions

This is a discussion on Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions

So, do you guys have any traditions or superstitions with your jersey numbers? I really only have one currently. I always give my kickers and punters jersey numbers in the 60's, going with 65 and 69 when available. I first started doing it just to give the good numbers, that the CPU gives them, to someone else, but then I really got used to seeing it and it became a tradition. When I was a kid, I used to give my defensive impact player 99, regardless of position lol. 5'5'' 150lb CB with #99.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Jersey Number Changes - Traditions & Superstitions

An ATHLETE is given a number from 1-19.

An ATHLETE QB gets a single digit number.
An ATHLETE RB gets a number from 10-19.

This helps me with play calling. I know I can run a halfback pass with #14 and can run more option with #3.

An ATHLETE OL will get a number in the 50's.

Walkons that make the roster get special numbers as well. I have a QB walkon wearing #23 and a DE walkon wearing #37.

Like your kicker numbers, I usually change them to a non-standard number. I don't have a range as you do. I try to maintain college rules as best as I can, so any kicker's number cannot be a duplicate who might be on the kicking team. My concern about 60's is it would probably be a duplicate of an OL.

At one point I used to number CBs in the 20's, FS in the 30's, and SS in the 40's. That way I'd know what position they were recruited for if I changed their positions. I no longer do that.

I try to respect the retired numbers of the school I'm coaching. It isn't right having #34 carry the ball for Georgia or Auburn. Kentucky has over 30 retired numbers, so they are one of the schools I relax that rule for.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
MVP

I like to have my fastest defensive back, running back, or receiver have a number in the single digits, as inspired by Reggie Bush, Joe McKnight, CJ Gable, Steve Smith, Robert Woods, etc. Best linebacker often wears 55, because that's a USC tradition. My receivers probably have the most variety, with numbers varying from the single digits to the 80s, including the 20s, 30s, and 40s.

Since watching Last Chance U, I want at least one defensive lineman to wear a single digit. Otherwise their numbers are usually between 30-99. I like having guys in the 80s because they used to do that in the olden days of pro ball.

Linebackers I tend to do 30-59 with the occasional guy in the 90s, 20s, teens, or single digits. I've had one QB wear a number in the 20s.

I try to always change around the numbers of freshmen when they come in and mostly leave them alone after that. Though I realized I didn't have a guy wearing 55, so I changed my top rated linebacker's number. But usually I like to keep them the same after making one change early.

I tend to have kickers anywhere above 40.

I just really like that you're free to do as you'd like in college. I like for it to look funky compared to the pros
Old 09-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrane
An ATHLETE is given a number from 1-19.

An ATHLETE QB gets a single digit number.
An ATHLETE RB gets a number from 10-19.

This helps me with play calling. I know I can run a halfback pass with #14 and can run more option with #3.

An ATHLETE OL will get a number in the 50's.

Walkons that make the roster get special numbers as well. I have a QB walkon wearing #23 and a DE walkon wearing #37.

Like your kicker numbers, I usually change them to a non-standard number. I don't have a range as you do. I try to maintain college rules as best as I can, so any kicker's number cannot be a duplicate who might be on the kicking team. My concern about 60's is it would probably be a duplicate of an OL.

At one point I used to number CBs in the 20's, FS in the 30's, and SS in the 40's. That way I'd know what position they were recruited for if I changed their positions. I no longer do that.

I try to respect the retired numbers of the school I'm coaching. It isn't right having #34 carry the ball for Georgia or Auburn. Kentucky has over 30 retired numbers, so they are one of the schools I relax that rule for.

I don't use the editor, so I don't have duplicate numbers. At least, I thought that was the only way to have duplicates...
Old 09-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Pro

NolesFanatic17's Arena

For my Teambuilder Dynasty I only have 2 number traditions. 1 my best Defensive End wears 35 and the opposite DE wears a single digit. 2 My center wears a 50 digit Guards wear a 60 digit and Tackles wear a 70 digit.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

One think I am heavily considering starting is "honorary doubles." It's kind of a variation of Temple's thing. At Temple, a single digit number (1-9) is considered a big honor and has to be earned.

I plan to do something similar, but with doubles. So: 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99 are all big honors to be bestowed upon a player. That way lineman can get into the action too. These aren't always necessarily bestowed upon the BEST player, but maybe the most meaningful. We all know how you can build an affinity for a player, and maybe he performs way above his ratings. That's kinda what these would be for, someone with a lot of heart.

Currently, in my Sonoma State dynasty, I have retired numbers. So far just #3, he was the first (and only so far) 4 year starter at QB, came in when the program was new and set tons of records. I plan to retire #5, Ryan Newhall. Best receiver in school history and set NCAA records as well. 3 straight 100+ catch seasons if I recall correctly. Set the NCAA record for career yards and catches.

Otherwise, I just kinda pick a number that feels good on a player.

Major Boise State fan
Old 09-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
Rookie

I like to give #1 to my fastest player.

I save #7 for the truly gifted athlete/two way player.

#44 for my best linebacker. (It was my number and my favorite “The Boz”)

#69 for best D-lineman

70s reserved for all-conference/all-american or award winning O-linemen.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
Rookie

If I'm using a real team, any retired number in real life I won't use (unless it's a school with a ton of them, like Kentucky, which is mentioned above).

Otherwise, I just tend to number players the way I think they would be numbered in real life in today's era of football.

If I'm using a teambuilder I'll end up retiring numbers when called for. I also like to honor my best player sometimes, like No. 1 at Michigan being a number that has to be earned by a WR and stuff like that. Kind of make it all up as I go.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »