Home

What is your top 5 for EA UFC 4?

This is a discussion on What is your top 5 for EA UFC 4? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What is your top 5 for EA UFC 4?

When I read the threads, I see so many good suggestions and comments for how to improve the game but there is only so much that can get done between each title.

So if you could only pick 5 features for the next game to have what would they be?

What is your top five must-have features for the next game and why?

Edit:

Thank you guys for your feedback, hopefully some of these top 5 features make it in EA UFC 4

Last edited by Sails; 09-25-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: What is your top 5 for EA UFC 4?

Here are my top 5, look forward to hearing yours.

Feature #1: Transition Based Submissions System

This has probably been one of the most consistently requested features since EA UFC 1.

The stages and animations for many submissions already exist in the game. Grapple advantage, contextual transitions and the ability for each player to transition independently of each other already exists in the game. The foundation is there to make this feature a reality now.

It would be cool if high level BJJ guys had extra contextual transitions and special transitions to initiate or finish submissions too. It would differentiate them from other fighters and increase the depth of the ground game.

Feature #2: Ability to edit the roster

For offline players, this one of the biggest missing features in the franchise that every other sports game has. I know this probably would take a lot of work to do, but this is a standard feature in every other sports game.

Feature #3: Upgrade practice mode

There are a few practice mode features that are standard in most fighting games that would be great additions to this game.
  • Restart practice mode
  • Reset to a position. (Example: set reset position in practice menu to half-guard DOM, resum practice and then press L2+options button while in practice to reset to half-guard dom).
  • Be able to see user input.
  • Grapple recording.

These features would help players of every level get better at the game. Whether you're an experienced guy who wants to test certain game mechanics, or a beginner trying to figure out how to deny transitions. It would be a big help.

Feature #4: More takedowns/ takedown animations

I remember watching one of the LEC events and Dan Hardy made a comment about how "popular" the default single leg finish was. EA UFC 3 has more a lot more finishes to takedowns but it could still use a lot more animations so each takedown doesn't feel exactly the same.

Also adding takedowns from back clinch to back side control would be awesome. And a back clinch cage postion with those takedowns would be great.

Feature #5: Transitional Combos / MMA Combos

I haven't had much experience in an MMA setting to fully do this idea justice but I'm hoping that other guys on the forum that can, could hash out this idea:

Imagine the same way there are boxing, kickboxing, traditional combos in the game. That there were combos which went from striking to grappling or grappling to striking. This would help differentiate the fighters who are excellent at transitioning from standing/clinch/ground seamlessly. All MMA fighters do this but there are some who better than others at it.

I'm hoping there are guys on the forum who could build on this but
here are few combos that could be transition/mma combos:

Jab->Cross->Hook->Double Leg
Jab->Cross->Clinch Knee
overhand->Kneetap
Clinch Break->Spinning Elbow

There could be level 1-5 for these combos just like all the other combos/moves in the game. It would make the fighters who excel at this feel different from other fighters. It would also give people with not a lot of MMA knowledge clues on how to transition from one phase of the fight to the next. Which results in encouraging more realistic gameplay overall.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
Banned

i pretty much agree with what was stated above

1. Universe Mode or My UFC - A mode within the game where you can link your single fight Now and Events to a system of rankings. Additionally, you should be able to have the ability to edit and save rosters along with that. With that an addition to the Event Mode. Is having weigh-in and a press conference with it. I wont even bother ask for a more comprehensive Be the Boss Mode. The thing I just requested should not be too hard as there is already some elements of it in game.

2. Community Sharing - If you do the above it would be nice to be able to share CAFs and rosters with each other.

3. Online Events Mode- The ability to schedule matches and an event with a group of people. We can work on the online leagues ourselves. Adding a weigh-in and press conference with that would be very cool with the ability of others to watch.

4. In-Depth Grappling - I could have made 5 within this alone.
Takedowns
  1. Chain takedown attempts for certain elite wrestlers
  2. Increased variety of takedowns
  3. Variety in takedown defense based on the type takedown attempted
Submissions
  1. variety in submission mini games
  2. increase in ability to submission switch depending on the fighter
Transitions - I like the idea of contextual transitions, but I also like greater variety in the controls for the types of transitions. Going for some positions should require a mini-game. Other positions might use the current system of controls. Other more dominant position might play out more like UFC 3 controls.

5. Tone down the uppercut I dont need to add more to that. Not everyone should have an uppercut from hell.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
Rookie

Online events would be a great feature for the online players. I hope going forward they find away to add depth to the ground and takedown games without the need for mini game HUDs. I feel like they break immersion and long term aren't the best solutions.

But with the features of grapple advantage, grapple momentum, contextual transitions and independent transitions, the foundation for scrambles and submission battles are already in place. It just needs to be built upon.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Pro

Non-reaction-time-based grappling is #1 for me

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshly Baked Gregg

Hmmm, what would you propose instead. The other option would be a turn based system.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshly Baked Gregg

I'm not going to pretend that I'm an expert on BJJ because I'm definitely not. But I can tell you from experience that being able to recognize what your opponent is trying to do and reacting to it quickly is definitely a "thing" in grappling.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
Pro

I'm gonna stick to non-gameplay related aspects.

1. Improved training mode
- Traditional fighting games have quite extensive training modes at the moment. A few noteworthy inclusions would be the ability to record multiple actions and then make the AI do them in random order and making every hit cause a max vulnerability to train counter-combos etc. Even some basic stuff, such as the ability to choose a grappling position, are missing.

2. Online modes
- I decided to include online training mode here even though it overlaps with 1. It would be very useful when teaching/drilling grappling as it involves a lot of mind games AI can't emulate. Since there is the cute little pro scene going on, a proper spectator mode would be greatly appreciated. EA MMA also had a king of the hill mode which I found quite enjoyable. You could also include Training Gyms etc to create more player interaction.

3. Clarity
- UFC 3 is littered with mechanics that are poorly explained. Things like transition feints and momentum are not explained in-game whatsoever. Even something as simple as stat explanations are hidden in character-creation screen only, something players will use for less than one percent of their total playtime. If you asked random UFC 3 players what do Toughness and Heart do what do you think the answers would be? Lately there has been talk about the Clinch/Ground Core Levels and how hardly anyone knows what they do. Undisputed 3 did a pretty good job at explaining both MMA basics and advanced UD 3 tactics so maybe look into that.

4. FNC style career modes.
- I don't care about the universe stuff myself. On the other hand, FNC's single player modes were totally up my alley. I thought the cutscene mode with the generic-*** boxing story was cliche but very enjoyable. It also worked as a hidden tutorial to teach many boxing concepts, such as avoiding an opponent's signature strike, having to force a finish when you're losing on scorecards and weathering an enemy storm (the last one wasn't executed well though).

The other career mode (Legacy? Whatever it was) where you choose a fighter and just train and fight your way through the rankings was great as well. I think that EA MMA and UFC 3 did the training aspect much better than FNC but the other aspects of the UFC 3's career were lacking. I personally loved EA MMA's career. All I want to do is gradually improve and fight my way up to the big leagues. Being shoe-horned into UFC after an hour of playtime is not particularly satisfying. I would have no issue if they just created several fictional organizations to fight your way through (with some choice regarding which promotion to join depending on your status/hype). I don't need cutscenes and random fake drama for this mode because I play it to have lots of fights and create my own war stories. It is much more exciting to lose to the first top 10 guy you face then climb back and beat him for the title. There is nothing compelling about having a "rival" because the game says you have one.

5. Fighter stat rework.
- The current system is okay but it doesn't do a good enough job at differentiating fighters. One of the most common complaints is how left/right punch/kick stats got dumbed down to one single power stat. I was okay with it initially because in UFC 2 everyone got more-or-less the same stats in each category and I was hopeful that the move levels in UFC 3 would be significant enough to differentiate fighters. However, really only the big boy tier fighters got significant move levels. Similarly, most of the high level perks (plus the quantity of them) go to the same guys. There are some instances where meh-tier characters get very high perk (Tim Boetsch and Matt Brown come to mind) but basically a lot of fighters fall into overall mediocrity in all stats, moves and perks. Regarding perks, I wish they had more unique effects over just stat boosts. +X to your power when throwing hooks is not particularly intriguing. Kick/Punch stats were another stat that was dumbed down from UFC 2. I think grappling could use more specific stat/levels for different positions. For instance, someone like Randy Couture was famous for his half guard top game and thus his half guard should be relatively better than his other positions.

---

Also, please let ground and pound rock/KO guys with individual strikes. It looks silly when you hit a guy with 5 punches in a row without a reaction then the 6th punch suddenly drops him dead.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »