Home

Why is this game so laggy online?

This is a discussion on Why is this game so laggy online? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

OVR: 0
Why is this game so laggy online?

Am I the only one who incurs a weird laggy feeling online? Both in MT & PNO it's so bad. I've switched from Wi-Fi to ethernet, run speed tests, etc. None of my other games have this issue.

The difference between online and offline is like a completely different game. It goes from tightly controlled masterpiece to newborn elephant on skates when I connect to an opponent. My guys slide WAYYYY more than normal. I have to nudge the stick just ever so slightly or I'll end up in the crowd. The players react to my input a half second late and it pretty much means every possession (both mine and my opponents) ending with a wide open shot because the defender is now in the third row enjoying the game from his new seat.

You'd think that would lead to a bunch of high scoring games? Of course not, the lag also affects the shot meter so it doesn't sync with the release form (which in Myteam can not be disabled mid-game to compensate). My opponent led 19-14 right before the half but I had had enough (both shooting under 30%) when I airballed my open three with Melo because trying to focus on just the form while ignoring the meter is like trying to ride two different bikes at once and I wasn't about to pull my hair out trying.

I'm on the Xbox One X if that matters, I know we had frame rate issues early launch weekend.

Anybody else seeing this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
Rookie

theKNICKSareBACK's Arena

Re: Why is this game so laggy online?

2k has pretty much always been like that online. You just have to get used to it or adapt.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

I've been using the same wired Ethernet cable plugged into the same Xbox One since 2K16, and this year's game has by far the biggest discrepancy between offline shot timing and online shot timing.

Offline, I can consistently green lightly contested layups and floaters on Hall of Fame difficulty.

Online, I can't even make, let alone green, wide open layups and floaters.

In the park (of all places) I'm shooting like 25% on open layups/floaters with a pure shot creator who has hall of fame tear dropper and gold acrobat because the shot timing is so different online this year, and the shot animations and the shot meter seem to have no correlation to each other.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Nope it's not just you. My wired 75mbps fios connection feels like old dsl playing 2K online. Dmz, port forwarding and still feels like crap most the time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-25-2018, 02:39 AM   #5
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKNICKSareBACK
2k has pretty much always been like that online. You just have to get used to it or adapt.
Most games are like this online. We all have different internet connections/speeds, good service, bad service, yet we blame 2K for that. I've never understood that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

You're not the only one, especially as a player from EU it's even worse.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
Most games are like this online. We all have different internet connections/speeds, good service, bad service, yet we blame 2K for that. I've never understood that.

So why can most people including me who have problems with 2k play other online games absolutely fine?

For us europeans its even worse cause 2k refuses to give us servers.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne

Because ALL games have to compensate for lag and most triple A games manage it a lot better than this. Games like Call of Duty, Fortnite, GTA V, and others all have to deal with differing connections between players, sometimes hundreds of players in one lobby, but I can't get a normal 5v5 game against one guy to just play out at a normal/comparable pace?

I'm understanding about a lot of things, but as a game I paid $100 for (and more on VC since I don't have the time to play 179 MyCareer games in a row) it's unacceptable that I can't even play a standard online game because of laggy servers. I've been spending real money to build up my MyTeam, real time learning how they play and work together, just to find out I can't even implement any of this against real people without completely relearning the game's timing on the fly. Its not even possible to practice in this state because the only place I can learn the new timing is in real games with my record on the line.

It's literally like two entirely different experiences and as a game that already has such a steep learning curve (Which I really love and appreciate!!!!!!!!) it's unacceptable to exacerbate that with the extreme lag.

We made this game more money than it has ever made last year. I understand all games have their issues, especially with servers, but not being able to play a simple online game because it feels like I'm stuck in a tape delay is not okay. They're trying to sell me on a $250k tournament, but I can't even qualify because I can't find a game with a stable connection.

Last edited by isdatyt; 09-25-2018 at 09:06 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »