Home

my beef with the current archetype system

This is a discussion on my beef with the current archetype system within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
my beef with the current archetype system

it's too restrictive...as long as it is in the NBA, it should be in the game...

1. ben simmons was a 6'10 PG...the highest in the game is 6'6

2. lebron is one of the fastest players in the league at his size...in 2k u would be slow as hell

3. it is impossible to make a decent porzingis build at 7'3 because both your three point and dunk ratings would be too low

that's why im an advocate for the skill points system, but you can only get a certain number of them...so essentially you cant max all attributes...and for the more highly coveted attributes, they simply cost more skill points...

so at the end when you hit 99 you can have some skills maxed, but not all, since demi-gods dont exist in real life nba...

you may not agree completely with that, but one thing most of us can agree on is that the status quo isnt representative of what is in the actual NBA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
MVP

FerdBrown's Arena

Re: my beef with the current archetype system

Where was that forum thread that people complained and hence 2K decided to implement limited trait archetypes?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
Rookie

jackzagal's Arena

If people currently can "cheese" with certain builds, I can't imagine what they would do if they had more freedom. They should completely separate the offline and online parts of MyPlayers, and give less limits (or none at all) to the offline part so you can create your own "unicorn" () or whatever the **** you want. And for online, since most of the "cheese" are made for those modes, keep the actual archetype and refine it a little more; or even use a 2kLeague-like system. Cheesers will always cheese, but if you give them easier tools, it'll be much worse; so, all in all, be careful with what you wish for...
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #4
MVP

FerdBrown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackzagal
If people currently can "cheese" with certain builds, I can't imagine what they would do if they had more freedom. They should completely separate the offline and online parts of MyPlayers, and give less limits (or none at all) to the offline part so you can create your own "unicorn" () or whatever the **** you want. And for online, since most of the "cheese" are made for those modes, keep the actual archetype and refine it a little more; or even use a 2kLeague-like system. Cheesers will always cheese, but if you give them easier tools, it'll be much worse; so, all in all, be careful with what you wish for...

Yes. Separate offline from online players. I don’t give a damn if the so-called “park” will be full of thugs and clowns 🤡 brandishing 99 overall rating with 1 billion wins and zero loss. Keep that thing in the internet.

But for offline, give me freedom to create and play anything I like. Why would offline be limited, yes?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Rookie

woody56's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackzagal
back in 2k15 u could build a 7'0 sf (before demigod glitch) with 90+ attributes in every category and that game was less cheesy than this one
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgenius

2. lebron is one of the fastest players in the league at his size...in 2k u would be slow as hell

3. it is impossible to make a decent porzingis build at 7'3 because both your three point and dunk ratings would be too low

that's why im an advocate for the skill points system, but you can only get a certain number of them...so essentially you cant max all attributes...and for the more highly coveted attributes, they simply cost more skill points...

so at the end when you hit 99 you can have some skills maxed, but not all, since demi-gods dont exist in real life nba...

you may not agree completely with that, but one thing most of us can agree on is that the status quo isnt representative of what is in the actual NBA
To build a Ben simmons. you have to realize ben is a pg by title. in reality he is a 6'9 SF, that has very good passing ability and athleticism.

To build a ben, you make a SF at 6'9, that is primary Playmaker, 2ndary Athletic/slasher.

To build a bron, make a 6'8 PF, Primary Shot Creator/Athletic. the only issue is that his passing ability wont be on brons level. but he will move quick and be athletic just like bron. I know because i've made this build before for that very reason. so maybe you could make him a Playmaker primary/athletic 2ndary at PF. he will move like bron.

Porzi is easy to create. I've seen many guys playing in the rec with porzi builds.

make you a tall Center or PF build with a Pure sharp primary/Post scorer 2ndary. make sure he's very thin. this will make him quick like porzi(actually quicker then porzi, which is what i dont like. )

The guys you named can be recreated with relative ease.

The problem is what the rest of you are talking about. they put these archetypes in for online players. to make it fair. because like everything else 2k does. they have to NERF something to make something else better. for whatever reason, either by choice or lack of how to, they dont FIX the problems. they nerf some and boost others. same decision here. due to the Demigods from the old 2k's and due to guys creating regular 2k players that could be seen as demigods just based on how over powered they were vs other builds. 2k decided to nerf the ability to create your guy any way you liked and forced people into archetypes. but now we see certain archs are completely over powered while others are completely under powered. See my other thread speaking about this:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...es-badges.html
Old 10-19-2018, 04:19 AM   #7
Rookie

Bulletproof86's Arena

the badges and tendecies decide about your player.
I dont like that big mens get the "good things" of a big becuase they are tall and have big wingspan etc and the tendecies of a big men
and they get the "good things" like a guard, 3pt shooting etc...

In my Opinion:
C and PF should only have this archetype:
Rebounder (Glascleaner)
Slasher
Defender (Rim Protector)
Post Scorer

Talking about "pure" builds:
sharp only for PG and SG
shotcreator for SG/SF
Playmaker PG
Slasher all Positions
Post for SF/PF/C
Rebounder PF/C
Lockdown all Positions except SG

the attributes should count more: f.e strength, it should be visible!
That can not be that a small point guard like I.Thomas can cover a Center in the post.

Or the same with speed...it can not be that a C can catch up with a guard on the fastbreak and block him from behind.

Or the passing: Only playmakers should have the ability to pass from a shot. if other builds would do that it would be automatically a TO the same with ballhandling. a Center should lose ball more often if he dribbles.

all the physics in the game dont work! next year is everybody a strech 4 because the have the best tendecies, are big, can shoot, can play defense can slash....everything. like the strech 5 in 2k18.

The whole online game is all about 3s....nobody has bball IQ, only left and right and press square for shoot or steal spam.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgenius

Just keep 'dem demigods away from online modes... idk if you're saying offline only or not. 2K already tried the "well Magic Johnson was a 6'9 PG and Manute Bol was 7'7 " angle, and it resulted in a buttload of 7 ft demigod SF's creating a 100% cheesefest in 2K15. New system is way better for balance/realism. Just because some player existed (Bol, Magic, KD, Lebron, Giannis, etc), doesn't mean they represent the median type for their position. Those players are once a generation type exception to the rule, athletic builds or talents.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »