Home

Goalie’s a brickwall!

This is a discussion on Goalie’s a brickwall! within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7
Goalie’s a brickwall!

So I wasn’t planning on getting the game this year but my wife surprised me with the game a couple days ago. I’m actually kinda glad she did, I’m having lots of fun so far.

One good thing about this game, goalies are amazing! Well a brick wall against me. I’ve only managed to get one goal in, in fact it was the opening scoring (beautiful one timer) after opening the box. Couldn’t muster anything ever since.

I’m currently playing BAP till I got the internet hooked up (just moved to a new house) and I got most shots for my team and I have absolutely nothing to show for it! My linemates are piling up points and I only managed one assist (I’ve been passing well, trying to set up plays, they just don’t seem to score with me passing) so far close to 10 game played, 2 assists, no goals (at least 5 shots per game, some as high as 10) its crazy! Though I get really good reports on my play every game, offensive keeps going up but I don’t really have anything to show for it in stats other than the +\- which I’m well above the + side thanks to my linemates.

I even played a couple exhibition games, one of those was the first game that I scored. Got shut out the next one. Makes me want to play more till I finally score lol. No cheap plays or anything. Been a blast playing it so far. Too many trips does suck but not a game killer. I’ve learned to control my stick and make sure I keep my distance to knock the stick not the player.

Default pro setting (down from all star lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by JaFFiTh; 10-15-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Goalie’s a brickwall!

Goalies are good. If you like low scoring, I do, it's very nice.

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Old 10-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

Goalie’s a brickwall!

I find it makes it more intense trying to score now. Just hope I’m able to at least break some holes into that wall lol. Not that I’m complaining, it’s been fun so far.

Last edited by JaFFiTh; 10-15-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
Rookie

IlliniOne82's Arena

OVR: 1

Keep at it. I bought the game after not having played an NHL game for probably close to 10 years. I started a Blackhawks franchise using AlTito's sliders on All-Star. I think I scored a total of 3 goals in my first 8 games total. I'm now about 25 games into the season and I've gotten both my shots and goals up - probably averaging a little over 2 goals per game in my last 10-15 games and I'll occasionally score 3 or 4. What I realized is the key is always making that extra pass. At first I was too quick to just take the first open shot I saw after crossing the blue line but I realized you need to work the puck around and get it in the slot to score more consistently. The defense on All-Star is too quick to react to be able to get many rebound goals off shots from the outside.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Goalies are less vulnerable to low quality and low velocity shots this year. If you've got a poor shooting platform and aren't loading your shots well, the goalie is probably going to save it.

In the past you could basically flick the the RS for a low shot and get a rebound, this year you actually need to execute the gesture on the RS to wind up if you want to get a rebound or snipe it past the goalie. Not quite sure about slapshots, but it seems like you need to hold your windup a bit longer to get a good shot off. Maybe someone else can comment on this?

I'd suggest going to 1on1 free skate and see what a difference getting a good load up on your shot makes. Also, dekeing/moving the puck around is a little different this year in that your left to right movements can be faster, and it chains into a really smooth dekeing animation. If you can smoothly move the puck around before your shot it makes scoring way easier (in the correct circumstance of course). You can even use the LS to shuffle the puck around a bit to keep the goalie from off balance.

Obviously executing a good one timer is a great way to score too, but you have to really pay attention to how good a shooting posture the receiver is in as well.

First place to start though, go into 1 on 1, and try properly and deliberately loading up some wristers. You'll see the goalies are pretty easy to beat or get huge rebounds on. Especially if you can smoothly move the puck around before executing a well powered shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp
Goalies are good. If you like low scoring, I do, it's very nice.
I have an occasional 5-4 game, but they are MUCH better this year and it's great, imho. I've only seen one goofy through the pads goal so far and almost every goal has been a real NHL type goal, which is great to see. I now look for a player like Tarasenko more and try to get him the puck, especially for a one timer. Previous games it didn't matter who was shooting.

DeBrincat scored 4 goals on me!
Old 10-16-2018, 12:47 AM   #7
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

Goalie’s a brickwall!

Yeah I haven’t seen any cheap goals which is always a bonus. In fact after like 10-15 games, I finally scored 2 in a game in my BAP. Just missed out on a hat trick as the puck trickled by the post. I currently lead my team in points during the pre-season with the Coyotes, 2 goals and 6 assists in 6 games. Lead the league in shots by like 20 lol. I have like 43 while next in league has 23 I believe. I was so relieved when it finally went in for me. I had lots of good chances but goalie would rob me no matter what. Nice to get that over with lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »