Home

3rd down cheese plays (Defence)

This is a discussion on 3rd down cheese plays (Defence) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
3rd down cheese plays (Defence)

Does anyone have or use certain 3rd down D sets to try and stop the cheese that is the CPU on 3rd and long?

Tired of it being 3rd and 12 only for them to get 13...everytime lol

Between that and my guys never attempting to swat balls away, it gets rather frustrating at times. I literally watch their DBs at times close gaps my guys just stare at for deflections.

Last edited by minikiller; 10-22-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Re: 3rd down cheese plays (Defence)

I don't actually see too much cheese on 3rd and long from the CPU offense, it can depend heavily on what plays you choose and what your players are. You may find more success if you use the guess play feature and guess a pass. It provides a bit boost, enough that I don't use it anymore.

Cover 3 defenses are a good, safe choice.

Otherwise, I find a heavy blitz to be most effective. Bring at least two linebackers to get pressure early and either get a sack or force a short pass.

Major Boise State fan

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 10-22-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Just finished a season with a teambuilder team rated 65 overall. Defense sucked so bad because my players are just plain stupid. No body was good in zone and no body could defend 1 on 1. I blitzed on every play, usually bringing 6. Outside of this dynasty, I normally fall back into a cover 3 on 3rd and long, but just wouldn't work with my trash team. Had to bring both LBs (in the 4 DL nickel) forcing the QB to get the ball out immediately. My MLB usually had a free shot at the QB if they didn't leave a RB or TE in to block.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
Rookie

I have an 86 D rating atm. What I notice is I play man/zone no blitz and the QB has all day and hits a huge play, or I blitz and he hits the wide open guy for the exact yardage they need lol. I usually play 3-2-5 because I have stronger backfield then my big boys upfront
Old 10-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
MVP

I use coach mode and it really depends on what the team I'm playing is doing offensively. Sometimes a zone works best because the offense likes to use underneath passes.

If I have a cheese play it's 4-3 stack with two linebackers blitzing up the middle. Pre-snap adjust the d-line to wide and the LB to squeeze. Forces the o-line to block a spread out d-line which sometimes opens gaps for the blitzing linebackers up the middle. If you get pressure on the QB he frequently makes mistakes and sometimes you get a sack. The downside is if they pick up the cpu blocks the blitz it leaves the pass coverage vulnerable.

I recruit the fastest corners, safeties and linebackers I can find which helps a lot in pass coverage.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by minikiller
Does anyone have or use certain 3rd down D sets to try and stop the cheese that is the CPU on 3rd and long?

Between that and my guys never attempting to swat balls away, it gets rather frustrating at times. I literally watch their DBs at times close gaps my guys just stare at for deflections.
I always run the 3-4 D. I typically run man defense for the first downs and on 3rd and long i pick a 3-4 cover 3 play, with the lolb blitzing and the d-line adjusting to the left side and slanting. I then control the LE and manually adjust so not to slant but straight up rush the passer. I switch up the coverage (back off or press). Only thing to watch for is if the cpu is going for a screen.
I also find that doing a new play in the 2nd half ends up in ints quite often (like a 3-2-5 play with the same principle, just a new look for the cpu)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by minikiller

I usually build lousy teams into contenders in a dynasty. When my current team is no longer a challenge, I allow my contract to expire and take over the worst team in the league. (Bad teams offer you after you've turned down over 50 offers). I've played teams with a lot of bad defenses. But, they are bad teams BECAUSE they have bad defenses and you can't turn them into good defenses in a season or two.

1. You should bring 6 pass rushers on 3rd and long.
  2. Change the DL lineup spots by shifting (left, right, pinch, or wide).
  3. Change the LB lineup spots by shifting them.
  4. DO NOT PLAY TIGHT COVERAGE IN MAN. They'll beat your defender easily since your starter wouldn't make the two deep of your opponent. They cannot hang.
For example, you have a 4-2-5 defense (or 3-3-5). The LBs are rushing inside with the defenders slanting outside (there are several concepts like this in each playbook). Pinch the DL and widen the LBs. The DLs take their outside pass rush and will hopefully confuse the blocking scheme for a LB to loop over and charge up the open middle. The reverse concept works as well.

Another thing is if you have a decent pass rush DE / OLB, move him to the 9 position. The 9 gap is the outside shoulder of the TE and without a TE or RB on that side of the formation, is a long way for an OL to get out to block him. He will likely come in untouched and pressure the QB if he's quick enough.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »