Home

Calling anyone that grapples in real life

This is a discussion on Calling anyone that grapples in real life within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Calling anyone that grapples in real life

Hopefuly we can get some insight to your approach or the “meta” when grappling IRL

Can you specify what parts of the current ground system replicates or completely misses the mark when it comes to real life grappling?

Could be an interesting discussion to help the Devs bridge the gap hopefully for UFC4.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Re: Calling anyone that grapples in real life

Thing is some of the devs grapple irl. I think GPD grapples himself. Now idk if they do mma or just bjj. But anyone who has experience know's it's a whole different ball game when grappling with strikes involved. As far as my approach when i'm grappling irl, i'm always a position first guy. On top I like to establish a solid base to maintain control and then work from there. Sort of like a wrestling lay n pray style. Sadly that's not really be replicated in this game to well. If i'm on bottom, I like to work the half guard and deep half game. I'll work with what my opponent gives me and try to set up or look for openings for sweeps and to stand back up, as I really don't like being on my back. Concerning the game, the part I think they replicated well is the simultaneous grappling and what I think they missed totally was clinch movement. It's on it's way to being the best mma game ever though and with more additions, tweaks and more revolutionary ideas by GPD's brilliant mind, it should soon be there.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Hopefuly we can get some insight to your approach or the “meta” when grappling IRL

Can you specify what parts of the current ground system replicates or completely misses the mark when it comes to real life grappling?

Could be an interesting discussion to help the Devs bridge the gap hopefully for UFC4.
In my experience as a blue belt with mma experience, grappling is about to do your game and make your opponent fall in it, like a chess match, u can hold your opponent in a position waiting him to go to we’re you want to swip or submit... if ea ufc 3 were a bjj game, it would work almost perfect(deny shouldn’t be the key to hold position) but we are talking about MMA it’s a different kind of grappling. In MMA you have strikes, you have the referee looking for action. U just can’t stall looking for your opponent open you have to create it by strikes!!!
The guy on bottom has to defend himself all the time but has more space to work because the guy on top is always forced to be active.

-
UFC undisputed 3 had the ground game close to the real life one, it wasn’t perfect but we are talking about a very very old game...
I believe if they try to replicate that system again fixing the bugs and upgrading it... we will archive what we want... ea ufc grappling its terrible and a lagger dream

Last edited by bmlimo; 11-07-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
MVP

Well, if we are going by real life grapplers, everyone has favored positions. In order to make it anything like real life, every position would have to have more options. There shouldn't really be a hierarchy of positions like it is now. Not everyone has a good mount or good crucifix.

There needs to almost be an entirely separate grappling system within each position to even approach an accurate representation. Some fighters favor half guard rather than full guard on bottom, but in game there is absolutely no reason to place yourself in half guard if guard is available.

Maia pulls half guard in order to sit up and single leg guys. There needs to be tons of setups like that. If someone is good at half guard bottom and understands that system and has stats better than you, you should be trying to avoid that and head straight into side control from stacked guard. Something along those lines.

More stats are always a good thing. There should be stats for every position or at least move levels for every transition. I know this would take a monumental amount of work and is likely never going to happen, but a dozen setups for every position with minor transitions (something already been discussed at length on this board) would be the best way to make this fluid. The transitions would be faster, but have less impact.

If people thought the ground game was too complex now, these systems would blow up their pea-sized heads. Another thing to worry about from a developmental standpoint. However, you could really go all in on some of the exclusive stand-up only modes for the casual fans to counteract the backlash.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207

The initiation for certain things is pretty good, in terms of undeniable TDs and cage work.

Momentum transitions make sense since, well grappling generally involves momentum from what you feel.

Other than that, I feel as if the clinch is way way way too static. Clinch work is much more fast paced going to position from position, and the fact that one denial can basically screw you in the clinch is relatively unrealistic. In wrestling especially at the Collegiate level, we're constantly fighting for position, we don't get tired (lose 30% of our stamina in UFC 3) because of our one opponents 'denial' of say an underhook or collar tie.

There's a myriad of other things I don't agree with, but I'd be more than willing to do as much as I can to suggest things so it can be better for the future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #6
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlimo
In my experience as a blue belt with mma experience, grappling is about to do your game and make your opponent fall in it, like a chess match, u can hold your opponent in a position waiting him to go to we’re you want to swip or submit... if ea ufc 3 were a bjj game, it would work almost perfect(deny shouldn’t be the key to hold position) but we are talking about MMA it’s a different kind of grappling. In MMA you have strikes, you have the referee looking for action. U just can’t stall looking for your opponent open you have to create it by strikes!!!
The guy on bottom has to defend himself all the time but has more space to work because the guy on top is always forced to be active.

-
UFC undisputed 3 had the ground game close to the real life one, it wasn’t perfect but we are talking about a very very old game...
I believe if they try to replicate that system again fixing the bugs and upgrading it... we will archive what we want... ea ufc grappling its terrible and a lagger dream
I think EA's system is closer to real life tbh. Independant grappling, momentum, ect. However one thing I will say UD3 did well that hasn't been done in an mma game since was how it's posturing system worked. The ability to stay postured down to maintain better control after you broke the bottom guys initial posture control was a big plus, that added authenticity to the grappling. It made it feel a bit more like you were trying to hold someone down and maintain position.

Last edited by WarMMA; 11-07-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
Banned

Haz_____'s Arena

I train twice a week, and I absolutely love submission grappling irl, but I'm mostly a striker in the game. The grappling in game just doesn't feel anything like grappling irl.

It's too slow, and static, simplistic, and limited in positions and movements. The whole holding a direction and watching a bar load up just feels terrible. The feel is important. Something like the swoop, like the prior games had just FEELS so much better. It feels like youre actually doing something. Think Tony Hawks Pro Skater, where you just press the button to do a trick, compared to SKATE where you manipulate & flick the analog stick to do a trick. SKATE blew peoples minds when it came out because of how fun it FEELS to play. Take that exact same game, but put old school Tony Hawk controls in it and it wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful.

Beyond that there just needs to be more options. Way more. More transitions, more positions, more submissions. More control. Less focus on "fakes" and more on options.

Maybe something like multi stage transitions and submissions, that you navigate/ scramble through.

There's a lot of room for improvement.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
Banned

Haz_____'s Arena

Here's a little edit from us getting some rolls in after class the other day. I'm the skinny dude with the green spats. Nothing special here. Just having some fun getting some extra work in. You will see a ton a **** ups, and the most ghetto bodega imanari roll ever though. Lol.

I'd love to check out any clips or edits you guys have.

Yeah though. Grappling irl is just sooooo much more dynamic and fluid than in the game. There's a lot more focus on tons of little battles. Rather than singular large sweeping transitions. An underhook here, a butterfly hook there. It's a constant ebb and flow of incremental positonal changes on both sides.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »