Home

Anyone move countries while giving up good money?

This is a discussion on Anyone move countries while giving up good money? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Sexiest Woman Alive!

Peji911's Arena

OVR: 17
Anyone move countries while giving up good money?

I was born in Portugal but have lived in anada for 30 years (I'm 34).

I have traveled a lot and even lived in Gold Coast, Australia for a year, and London, England for a year. In doing so, I have realized that Canada just isn't for me. By that I mean that the winters are too cold and the summers are too humid. Further, he 'lack of culture' bothers me a bit.

I visit the US a lot (Manhattan and NJ) and if I were American, I would definitely stay. However, I feel that Europe is the place for me.

My wife and I make 200K a year, we have 100% covered insurance for medical, dental, etc, and we will miss that for sure. I have had MANY health issues in the past and my Union Rep said that I can go on a program here they analyze my health and determine it to be bad, they put me on sick leave and I keep my insurance.

Anyone do anything where people are like, "you're crazy for leaving your life behind"?

Advice? Experiences?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Anyone move countries while giving up good money?

I did the opposite, I moved to Canada. Love Winnipeg (well, sometimes the city annoys me, but that's like any other city). LOVE the winters, had enough of warm weather for most of my life.

Why don't you move to BC? Mild winters, Not too hot summers...although it's pricey to live there. Not sure what you mean by "lack of culture".

My wife and I left the our entire families and moved to Canada almost a decade ago. If I couldn't live here for any reason, I would definitely go back, not live anywhere else. But I like it here. Immigration can cost you if you add all the fees, services you may need, flight tickets etc..not to mention if you have some furniture you need to ship over (we didn't). But overall financially it was worth it, though that was just 1 reason to immigrate/not immigrate. We had other reasons as well.

Not much of an advice, I guess, just sharing my story.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 11-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

Yeah I left a really good job with Godaddy to start a business with my parents in the Philippines. Was making close to or some years over 6 figures with godaddy but now I’m making a lot more with the resort.

It is way harder and I miss America because even if I am Filipino blood I’m deep down an American.

I met my future wife here and we are expecting our first baby daughter so life is definitely better than when I lived in the US.

I also have more chances for different business opportunities bringing what I know from the states that’s missing here or maybe buying up a franchise.

I say go for it, if you really aren’t feeling it then make the move and try something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Never done it, but I would say that doing anything like this is much easier before you have kids vs. after, if that's in your path.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:19 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

You need to read up on the laws for where you want to move to. If your health is bad where they are putting you on sick leave, then you need to think about that. You would need health coverage and the ability to get a job.

Moving without another job may not even be possible in some countries.

If you get past all the potential issues, then if it makes you happy go for it. You can't

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »