Home

Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

This is a discussion on Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Rookie

EmbraceThePace's Arena

OVR: 0
Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

I’ve always been a guy who gets annoyed when rosters weren’t accurate and had to edit them before playing, but I could always jump in and play after I fixed them. However, over the past few years, I can’t even get myself to jump into the game at all. I’ve probably played less than 10 full games of 2K since 2K16.

This isn’t because of roster issues, as rosters and draft classes have never been as good as they are now. It has to do with the gameplay/MyLEAGUE logic and the seemingly endless issues with both that totally kill my desire to play. It seems like 2K has so many issues that the only way to achieve a realistic experience is to spend hours and hours of time doing maintenance (sliders, contracts, progression, etc.) in hopes of making the game work correctly, yet we all know it’s impossible to get to that point. I just tweak and tweak and tweak but never dive in.

MLB The Show is really the only sports game I can play because it has very few issues compared to 2K, especially in terms of core on-field gameplay. I think because I follow real life basketball so closely, even the smallest issues kill the immersion for me. Could also be that I’m just not into games like I used to be.

Does anyone else spend the majority of their time on 2K WANTING to play, but not actually jumping in because of the myriad of unfixable issues? Or if anyone has been like this and ultimately got over it, how did you do it?

Just interested in hearing from others about this.

Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/embracepace

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/izomniayt
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
MVP

Poke's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceThePace
I’ve always been a guy who gets annoyed when rosters weren’t accurate and had to edit them before playing, but I could always jump in and play after I fixed them. However, over the past few years, I can’t even get myself to jump into the game at all. I’ve probably played less than 10 full games of 2K since 2K16.

This isn’t because of roster issues, as rosters and draft classes have never been as good as they are now. It has to do with the gameplay/MyLEAGUE logic and the seemingly endless issues with both that totally kill my desire to play. It seems like 2K has so many issues that the only way to achieve a realistic experience is to spend hours and hours of time doing maintenance (sliders, contracts, progression, etc.) in hopes of making the game work correctly, yet we all know it’s impossible to get to that point. I just tweak and tweak and tweak but never dive in.

MLB The Show is really the only sports game I can play because it has very few issues compared to 2K, especially in terms of core on-field gameplay. I think because I follow real life basketball so closely, even the smallest issues kill the immersion for me. Could also be that I’m just not into games like I used to be.

Does anyone else spend the majority of their time on 2K WANTING to play, but not actually jumping in because of the myriad of unfixable issues? Or if anyone has been like this and ultimately got over it, how did you do it?

Man I thought I was the only one. I used to play multiple seasons in MyLeague or MyGM. Now by the time I get the game to play right after multiple issues and patches its playoff time in real life. I think this year I'm just gonna go with what I have and accept the fact that it's a game like back in the old days when we didn't have all these options. I had way much more fun with games like Madden or Lakers Vs Celtics or Bulls vs Blazers or Ken Griffey Baseball or Baseball Stars or USA Basketball or Coach K Basketball etc...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Poke; 11-16-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Re: Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

I used to be that way. I still am to a certain degree. Theres just something about getting that perfect mix of sim, fun and realism. I use the first month or so to get my bearings, feel the game out, and have slideritis. After that, I accept the game for what it is and just play. I'm using Celtics roster along with Barncores edits and JBs draft classes. I've taken stuff from every slider set posted here along with my own edits and I'm running with it. This year, charging and blocking fouls are jacked up. I have reach in fouls maxed out and I get a decent enough number of overall fouls. It's not true to life, but it'll work. I'm not sure if it's the roster I'm using or my sliders. Regardless, i can live with the gameplay where it is. I'm having fun with ML. I hope 2K patches fouls because its a legit issue. If they do I'll make adjustments. If they don't, I'll have my fun all the same. Its where I'm at now with gaming.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
It has to do with the gameplay/MyLEAGUE logic and the seemingly endless issues with both that totally kill my desire to play. It seems like 2K has so many issues that the only way to achieve a realistic experience is to spend hours and hours of time doing maintenance (sliders, contracts, progression, etc.) in hopes of making the game work correctly, yet we all know it’s impossible to get to that point. I just tweak and tweak and tweak but never dive in.

Here's what I did with MLB The Show because I wasn't able to get my mind away from getting a "full sim" experience. Since I'm such a hardcore fan and former high level player I picked up every little thing wrong with the game and it bothered me:

Stop worrying about a "realistic" experience and just try to achieve something that's fun to play. I might suggest doing a fantasy draft with legends mixed in (or just a straight up fantasy draft with current players) so you can't even begin to compare it to real life. Worry about just one season with a team you like top to bottom so you don't have to worry about progression.

I also do this with NBA 2k:

Turn off the Hard Cap and crank up the salary cap to max, then you don't have to worry about contracts being messed up.

Turn off all trade stipulations whatsoever except CPU trade veto. No deadline, no dead period to make trades after the season starts. Nothing. Then if you don't like your shooting guard in March, you can deal him for someone else.

Basically what I'm saying is: Play the actual games in a sim style with sim stats and solid sliders so you're having fun playing the game, but leave everything else up to chance since it's only 1 season. You need to learn to be hands off and ignore things you can't possibly try to control, which according to your post is literally everything under the hood.

If you can get through one season and you're having fun, hopefully you'll realize that getting the perfect "sim" experience isn't needed. This game is never, ever going to mirror real life 1 to 1, no matter what you do to the sliders and contracts.

If you can't do that then you should probably consider just not getting the game any longer, or buy BasketballGM and just do stat simulations on your desktop.

Last edited by BA2929; 11-15-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #5
MVP

JBCAROLINAKID's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

I totally agree. While I do play it more than you my play of choice is cpu vs cpu games because I like to get the roster right and then enjoy watching it play out without outside interference. The problem is the gameplay never quite makes it there. There are always so many unrealistic situations that happen in game that just kill the immersion. I'm constantly tweaking sliders and tendencies. This year is even worse because this ACE system hasn't worked as advertised and I use my custom roster so I don't know if any updates would apply to it. I guess in a long kinda way I'm saying I feel your pain.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #6
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

Yep, I told myself last yr, after spending all of basketball season trying to fix the lack of shooting fouls on 3pt attempts, by editing sliders, and roster editing, to no avail with NBA2k18.
I told myself this yr, I wasnt going to do that, I was just going to get sliders to the point of getting realistic stats, and not spend all of the season trying to fixe gameplay issues.

Unfortunately that went right out the window, when I found out that not only didnt the lack of shooting fouls on 3pt attempts get fixed, but they broke the fouls logic all together, as now there is basically no charging, or blocking fouls being called. And loose ball and Over the Back, do get called, but not enough

However I do feel Im getting closer to getting my sliders set, to get realistic stats, or close anyway. So Im about ready, to start on editing my roster I will use for ML. As I didnt even get a ML started last yr, do to trying to fix the game, and Im not doing that this yr,lol.

Im also very OCD about sim stats, and that has kept me from enjoying MyLeague the last several yrs, do to such poor sim stats. I keep telling myself, Im going to just edit the rosters, to fix some of the poor ratings and tendencies, since 2k cant get it right, and try to worry less about trying to get every single sim stat thats in the game, perfect.

Or this is what I keep telling myself anyway,lol. Whether Im able to overcome my OCD issue, only time will tell

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 11-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
It seems like 2K has so many issues that the only way to achieve a realistic experience is to spend hours and hours of time doing maintenance (sliders, contracts, progression, etc.) in hopes of making the game work correctly, yet we all know it’s impossible to get to that point. I just tweak and tweak and tweak but never dive in.

I finally got the perfect settings and adjusted my roster to the tendencies I wanted this year and BOOM I run into a bug where averages are incorrectly calculated in MyGM/MyLeague...

Every year I run into MyLeague breaking bugs AFTER I spend months getting my roster right enough and tweak the A.I. enough to run a semi-realistic franchise.

So I am with you, I've only played a handful of actual games as well and it happens every year.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
I finally got the perfect settings and adjusted my roster to the tendencies I wanted this year and BOOM I run into a bug where averages are incorrectly calculated in MyGM/MyLeague...

Every year I run into MyLeague breaking bugs AFTER I spend months getting my roster right enough and tweak the A.I. enough to run a semi-realistic franchise.

So I am with you, I've only played a handful of actual games as well and it happens every year.

Are you still having this issue? I have ran several test sims, in ML, trying to replicate this glitch, and I have yet to have it happened. Im on PS4, although I wouldnt think that should matter.

Maybe you have tried, other rosters, and different draft classes, but if you havent try running a test sim in ML, with a different roster file, and/or a different draft class.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »