Home

2k on what planet is standing underneath the rim or behind the backboard GOOD DEFENSE

This is a discussion on 2k on what planet is standing underneath the rim or behind the backboard GOOD DEFENSE within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
2k on what planet is standing underneath the rim or behind the backboard GOOD DEFENSE

2k on what planet is standing underneath the rim or behind the backboard GOOD DEFENSE?

This is an EASY fix. the same aurora or more or less boundary they put around players with defender badges. they can decrease the size of it. or completely get rid of it when said player is on the court in certain spots. like when they are under the rim/backboard. If joel embiid right now was playing me 1 v 1 and he ran under the backboard with his hands up or down. i would walk in there for a wide open layup. he wouldnt care me one bit because i know if he jumped to block anything he would break his wrist hitting it on the bottom of the rim/backboard. there is no defense when you're that deep in the paint. ZERO, NON. Stop over valuing defense with cheese like this. guys are not having to actually play defense in the paint because all they have to do is be around not even guarding their guy.

I need to start recording these games, where i'm making dudes go for moves and completely putting them way out of defensive position just for my guy to blow a layup because their defensive aura is on 1000. lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: 2k on what planet is standing underneath the rim or behind the backboard GOOD DEF

I completely agree and I think theres three solutions/fundamental answers to this dilemna:

1. 2k has to fundamentally and in gameplay represent the principal that:
Shooting closer to the basket, is easier to make than shooting farther from the basket (generally speaking). This is a matter of principal. Like some others on the forum have stated:

a)The whole point of the 3 pt shot being added is to reward a more difficult shot being made.
b) If the move that gets you the most points, is also the easiest move to make, your game has failed fundamentally.

2. Defensive badges and ratings should not activate as much as a forcefield, or a bad animation selector for the offensive player.
What I mean by this, is shooting a shot over a rim protector who is standing directly under the rim or in bad position should not cause a miss based on proximity or "catchup: block animations.

3. Animations have to be added to reflect that standing under the rim is a bad position. The funny thing is they use to have these animations in the past, where if you jumped directly from under the rim, your players would do a small jump and not really put his hands up to prevent him from breaking his arm lol.
The way the game is right now, we have bigs standing directly under the rim for boards and defense, and they will get animations such as jumping with each arm on opposite sides of the rim, and somehow grabbing the board down cleanly.

Last edited by shayellis; 11-21-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: 2k on what planet is standing underneath the rim or behind the backboard GOOD DEF

Also heres a sidenote:

I think 2k is reflecting paint shot contests the same way they handle jumpshot contests. Which is wrong on both ends.
1. Jump shot contests should be more effective compared to a paint contest, because finishing around the basket is easier than shooting irl.
2. This creates extremly polarized gameplay(especially in Park or Pro Am, since:

If you are open for a jumpshot its an almost automatic make, and if you are heavily contested, its an almost automatic miss. This is not realistic. IRL the difference between a heavily contested make and a wide open make is around 15% I believe (someone correct me if im wrong).
2k throws the percentages all out of wack.

Last edited by shayellis; 11-21-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayellis
Also heres a sidenote:

I think 2k is reflecting paint shot contests the same way they handle jumpshot contests. Which is wrong on both ends.
1. Jump shot contests should be more effective compared to a paint contest, because finishing around the basket is easier than shooting irl.
2. This creates extremly polarized gameplay, in that:

If you are open for a jumpshot its an almost automatic make, and if you are heavily contested, its an almost automatic miss. This is not realistic. IRL the difference between a heavily contested make and a wide open make is around 15% I believe (someone correct me if im wrong).
2k throws the percentages all out of wack.
Feels like we've been having this conversation since Day 1. I have accepted the fact that either they can't fix it, or they refuse to fix it.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

Yeah I brought this up in another thread talking about this.

2K need to have the defender drop back in front of the charge circle.

The animation is so bad because they back pedal unrealistically with their hands up.

The ball handler can be 5+ feet away and they run all the way under the rim.

Dang near out of bounds under the backboard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #6
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Agree with this. Shot contest at the rim and contesting an actual jumpshot should be different. The shot contest system on the whole is in a pile of bs right now though tbh.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
Pro

To me, this is a good example. I’m inches from the rim and he’s underneath the hoop. I don’t think this is “heavily contested”.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Rookie

BlastaX's Arena

This is why I always lower layup contest at release/takeoff affects in sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »