Home

MBMAVS 2018 Updated Pitch Edits

This is a discussion on MBMAVS 2018 Updated Pitch Edits within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #1
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6
MBMAVS 2018 Updated Pitch Edits

Here is my updated 2018 Pitch Edit spreadsheet. It has every pitcher listed who threw a pitch in 2018. (except position players)

If you see a glaring mistake or someone missing, please let me know.

I use my own formula for movement and control ratings. The Pitch classification and MPH's are provided by Brooksbaseball.net.

Enjoy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2018, 03:55 AM   #2
Rookie

comebackkid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MBMAVS 2018 Updated Pitch Edits

amazing! thank you very much!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1

I don't understand why you gave Kopech a RFB at 95 and slider at 81 when his fastball is shown at 97.2 and slider at 84.1 on Brooksbaseball.net

I also looked at Severino and saw that you gave him an 88 mph slurve, and then I stopped looking. His slider shows lots of horizontal movement, and I don't see that as a slurve.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I don't understand why you gave Kopech a RFB at 95 and slider at 81 when his fastball is shown at 97.2 and slider at 84.1 on Brooksbaseball.net

I also looked at Severino and saw that you gave him an 88 mph slurve, and then I stopped looking. His slider shows lots of horizontal movement, and I don't see that as a slurve.
Kopech averages 97.2 on his fastball for his career. if you go to the drop down tab on the left hand side of the screen you can pick his pitching stats for each year. If you look at 2018, his fastball was 95.74 and his Slider was 81.11

Severino's Slider in 2018 had 5.9 inches of horizontal movement. I gave him a Slurve based on personal preference. Sliders generally have 3-5 inches of horizontal movement but if the Slider movement rating is too high they start to look like Curveballs and it feels unrealistic.

Severino's Slider in 2015 had 2.98 Inches of Horizontal movement. In 2016, 4.34 inches. In 2017, 3.85 inches, and in 2018 5.9 inches. Seems to break more each year.

My preference is any Slider with more than 5 inches of movement I like to use a Slurve.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMavs20
Kopech averages 97.2 on his fastball for his career. if you go to the drop down tab on the left hand side of the screen you can pick his pitching stats for each year. If you look at 2018, his fastball was 95.74 and his Slider was 81.11

Severino's Slider in 2018 had 5.9 inches of horizontal movement. I gave him a Slurve based on personal preference. Sliders generally have 3-5 inches of horizontal movement but if the Slider movement rating is too high they start to look like Curveballs and it feels unrealistic.

Severino's Slider in 2015 had 2.98 Inches of Horizontal movement. In 2016, 4.34 inches. In 2017, 3.85 inches, and in 2018 5.9 inches. Seems to break more each year.

My preference is any Slider with more than 5 inches of movement I like to use a Slurve.
The only reason Kopech's fastball was down this year was probably due to arm trouble--he is out for 2019. Recovering from September 2018 Tommy John surgery--Underwent Tommy John surgery Sept. 18, 2018

The slurve does not have that kind of horizontal movement: https://lokeshdhakar.com/baseball-pitches-illustrated/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
The only reason Kopech's fastball was down this year was probably due to arm trouble--he is out for 2019. Recovering from September 2018 Tommy John surgery--Underwent Tommy John surgery Sept. 18, 2018

The slurve does not have that kind of horizontal movement: https://lokeshdhakar.com/baseball-pitches-illustrated/
Yes, his fastball was down last year. That's why I gave him 95 and not 97. I was basing it on just 2018 and not his career.

When you use meter pitching in MLB like I do, once you pick a pitch, you will see the little symbols like this >>>>> pop up. It will tell you the break of that pitch.

In the Show, ever since I have been playing, the Slurve has more horizontal break on it than the Slider. That is why I use it.

The Diagram on the site you posted has the Slurve looking and breaking more vertical than horizontal. Not the same in the Show.

If you don't like the Slurve than use a Slider. Everyone has their own preference.

Some prefer the Sinker over the 2 Seam, some like 12-6 curves over regular Curves, some like Running Fastballs over 4 Seams. That's the beauty of it, you can edit it to your liking.

However, I don't appreciate the "After I saw the 88 MPH Slurve for Severino I stopped looking..." You can always do your own edits. :-)
Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMavs20
Yes, his fastball was down last year. That's why I gave him 95 and not 97. I was basing it on just 2018 and not his career.

When you use meter pitching in MLB like I do, once you pick a pitch, you will see the little symbols like this >>>>> pop up. It will tell you the break of that pitch.

In the Show, ever since I have been playing, the Slurve has more horizontal break on it than the Slider. That is why I use it.

The Diagram on the site you posted has the Slurve looking and breaking more vertical than horizontal. Not the same in the Show.

If you don't like the Slurve than use a Slider. Everyone has their own preference.

Some prefer the Sinker over the 2 Seam, some like 12-6 curves over regular Curves, some like Running Fastballs over 4 Seams. That's the beauty of it, you can edit it to your liking.

However, I don't appreciate the "After I saw the 88 MPH Slurve for Severino I stopped looking..." You can always do your own edits. :-)
Up until August 23 of this year, Kopech's fastball averaged 97.2 on Brooksbaseball.net

You can put him at 95 mph, but in my opinion, that is not the real representation of Kopech.

As for Severino, There are many pitchers who throw sliders with lots of movement, so you are going to give them all slurves. I give a slider to Severino and any other pitcher that has movement representing a slider.

The slurves I see in the game look like what is in the diagram I posted to you.

But hey, I'm old, maybe others see it like you.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:05 PM   #8
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

Just wanted to update everyone. I finally got the game and I am downloading it as I type this.

I plan on updating my spreadsheet as the season progresses, just like last year. KKralle7277 was kind enough to post which rookies were called up so I could add them to the spreadsheet once they pitched in a couple of games. If he wants to do it again, it would be a big help.

The following pitchers did not pitch in the Major Leagues last year so they are not currently on my 2018 spreadsheet:

Nate Karns - Orioles
Ben Heller - Yankees
Trent Thornton - Blue Jays
Elvis Luciano - Blue Jays
David Phelps - Blue Jays
Manny Banuelos - White Sox
Danny Salazar - Indians
Reed Garrett - Tigers
Kyle Zimmer - Royals
Chris Ellis - Royals
Jesse Hahn - Royals
Michael Pineda - Twins
Ryne Harper - Twins
Jharel Cotton - A's
Yusei Kikuchi - Mariners
Brandon Brennan - Mariners
Edinson Volquez - Rangers
Drew Smyly - Rangers
Kyle Dowdy - Rangers
Francis Martes - Astros
Nick Anderson - Marlins
Julian Fernandez - Marlins
Riley Ferrell - Marlins
Trevor Rosenthal - Nationals
Jimmy Nelson - Brewers
Merrill Kelly - Diamondbacks
Chris Paddack - Padres
Dinelson Lamet - Padres
Travis Bergen - Giants

Some are rookies about to make their Major League debut, some were injured and did not pitch at all last year. Pitchers who missed last year because of Tommy John surgery will be on my 2017 pitch edits spreadsheet so you can use that data until I get some new data this year.

As always, feedback is welcome. Pitch edits, to me, are the heart and soul of a pitcher and I always want to make them as close to the Big Leagues as possible.

Enjoy the pitch edits guys and get editing. BASEBALL IS BACK!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »