Home

back up quarterbacks

This is a discussion on back up quarterbacks within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
Rookie

sXeInYoFace's Arena

OVR: 3
back up quarterbacks

in my dynasty, my star quarterback went down for the season. im 4 games in and now i have to look to my 82 rated senior scrambler quarterback. i dont have his ratings in front of me but i think his pass power is low 80s and accuracy is mid 70s. he has never had much playing time but i know that means nothing in the video game world. he rode the bench as 3rd string his whole career but eventually made 2nd string this year through gradution and another quarterback transferred. so down goes my star quarterback and i look to him to lead my 3-1, #9 ranked Notre Dame team (i lost on the road to Virginia, VIRGINIA!!!!! for petes sake. i was actually ranked #1 in the nation in the pre-season coming off of winning the National Championship, blew the doors off of #16 Louisville, and then lost to UVA 17-13). anyhow, what i am trying to get to is...should i play with the sliders to mimic what and should happen in real football? should i raise the cpu pass defense and interception sliders to make it harder for him being he never played a collegiate snap of meaningful football? we all know that in these ncaa football games, regardless of what version or year it may be, that you can sub in your waterboy for a quarterback and have him play like tom brady. ive played many a football game and sometimes it seems as if that 3rd stringer was my star quarterback. im just trying to make it as real as possible. im going to lean more on the run game and short passing game like any real life coach might do. any response or comment would help. thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
Rookie

Trojan32's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: back up quarterbacks

I don’t alter them (maybe I should as my 90 QB is currently leading the NCAA in passing) but many reduce the QB’s awareness to avoid them playing over their head.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
Rookie

sXeInYoFace's Arena

i probably should have mentioned that i play as the quarterback, so awareness really doesnt matter much. unless the awareness, even as human controlled, affects his passing game? i dont like that coach mode/cpu vs cpu, i dont find it fun at all. i play only as quarterback on offense and defensive tackle on defense.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXeInYoFace
i probably should have mentioned that i play as the quarterback, so awareness really doesnt matter much. unless the awareness, even as human controlled, affects his passing game? i dont like that coach mode/cpu vs cpu, i dont find it fun at all. i play only as quarterback on offense and defensive tackle on defense.
I use a house rule I saw somewhere on here. Limited experience and/or young player I make sure to only let CPU call the plays. No audibles, no hot routes.

Limiting your option will make it more difficult
Old 12-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

I personally use JKit's sliders. With QB accuracy at 5, you get more realistic passing.

When they miss, sometimes it's by a mile. However, with accuracy at 10, they'll hit every pass. I'll take the big misses for more realistic stats, personally.

You have to work them into a rhythm, and route timing/throwing from the pocket has a huge impact. If you throw too early or too late, they're off target. If you're under pressure or scrambling, they're more likely to be off target. Read option can help the QB settle in.

Last season my best QB was a 74, so my passing game struggled a LOT. I think as a team I didn't even throw for 2500 yards.

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

That's one of the only negatives with JKit's Sliders. QBs will miss people by a mile to start the game and it's completely arbitrary. 99 Accuracy or 70 accuracy, it's the same story.

But I agree with you, in the video game world, a realistic miss and a hyperbolic miss get you the same end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
I personally use JKit's sliders. With QB accuracy at 5, you get more realistic passing.

When they miss, sometimes it's by a mile. However, with accuracy at 10, they'll hit every pass. I'll take the big misses for more realistic stats, personally.

You have to work them into a rhythm, and route timing/throwing from the pocket has a huge impact. If you throw too early or too late, they're off target. If you're under pressure or scrambling, they're more likely to be off target. Read option can help the QB settle in.

Last season my best QB was a 74, so my passing game struggled a LOT. I think as a team I didn't even throw for 2500 yards.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:42 AM   #7
Pro

I wouldn't mess with sliders. I would limit myself. You can do this by doing a few things:

1. Coaching suggestions
2. Not audibling or limiting your audibles
3. Create a playbook with like half the plays
4. Limit yourself to your first two reads.
5. Limit your scrambling. It's easy to abuse when in reality his pocket presence probably isn't great.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
Rookie

sXeInYoFace's Arena

i did not mess with any sliders but what i did do was something similar to what was mentioned before. no audibles or flip the run. i barely put anyone in motion...when i did i pretended as if the play was designed that way. i limited myself to half-field reads on pass plays. but i stuck with the run game and short passing game and dinked and dunked myself passed #21 Michigan in a 28-24 victory. i figured any messing with the sliders could mess up something i didnt mean to, we all know these sliders do not do what they should. i dont have any stats on hand but my quarterback had nice passing numbers and completion percentage, which i attribute to three long run after the catch plays and very high completion passes. maybe as the season goes on i will learn to "trust" my quarterback and open up the playbook more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »