Home

End of half and game, cannot stop CPU!

This is a discussion on End of half and game, cannot stop CPU! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
End of half and game, cannot stop CPU!

I am on All Pro difficulty.

Anyone else have issues stopping the CPU when there are approximately 2 minutes or less to go in the half or the game? The CPU is on offense and I give it all I have and cannot stop them from scoring. My sliders are competitive for me for the game, but I just know at the end of half or game, if CPU gets the ball they are going to score. At this point I would rather sim to the end of half or game instead of play it myself because I know what the outcome will be.

I can blitz, play inside and bump receivers but doesn't matter. I can play zone and they find the holes and the 80 overall QB is now Joe Montana. Anyone else run into these concerns and find any way to over come them?

I do not use cheese plays and don't want to win that way, but IDK what else to do.

The game is amazing with the Nectar mod. If I can figure this out, I will be in heaven when the NCAA mod drops.
..."And there's a frequent bug that turns the receivers' route markers into dancing squiggly lines. None of these problems destroy the fun of running a perfect option play, but they do take you out of what should be an immersive experience."....

Last edited by smoove7; 01-01-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: End of half and game, cannot stop CPU!

The end of the half and end of game is where player Clutch rating can really kick in. If the CPU QB has Clutch = Yes, then you are pretty much doomed. Even if he does not, other players who do will play over their head as compared to rest of game and you will have a tough time slowing them down.

C
Old 01-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoove7
I am on All Pro difficulty.

Anyone else have issues stopping the CPU when there are approximately 2 minutes or less to go in the half or the game? The CPU is on offense and I give it all I have and cannot stop them from scoring. My sliders are competitive for me for the game, but I just know at the end of half or game, if CPU gets the ball they are going to score. At this point I would rather sim to the end of half or game instead of play it myself because I know what the outcome will be.

I can blitz, play inside and bump receivers but doesn't matter. I can play zone and they find the holes and the 80 overall QB is now Joe Montana. Anyone else run into these concerns and find any way to over come them?

I do not use cheese plays and don't want to win that way, but IDK what else to do.

The game is amazing with the Nectar mod. If I can figure this out, I will be in heaven when the NCAA mod drops.
I am also on All Pro with user-only defeated sliders and do experience this as well. It is my feeling that the "clutch" rating, along with an appropriate, aggressive, attacking approach by the CPU are both in play. There have been times where I have lost in this situation, but I have also had success as well.

The best way I've found to handle this is to play top-notch situational football. Obviously, try not to put yourself in this position in the first place by grinding clock whenever possible. If that doesn't work out and you find yourself in need of a stop, don't be afraid to blitz. The offense is taking chances so you may have to do so as well. For example; Rodgers was lighting me up at the end of a recent playoff game. I played careful, conservative coverages at first. After a few plays, I started blitzing and dialing up defenses I hadn't called all game. Sure I was leaving myself vulnerable to a big play. However, if he burned me, at least I would have had time left on the clock to attempt to manage a final drive of my own. Thankfully, a key sack and a 4th down tackle short of the sticks won the game for me.

2 minute drives are a key part of football. Just look back at the crazy Giants Cowboys game week 17. When I'm watching a game that is going back and forth throughout, I always look for the team that is running the ball well, for that is the team that is the most likely to win because they will be able to grind it out at the end. Clock management is key.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

So it seems that the clutch rating is a ratings boost. Wouldn't my defensive players have a clutch rating that kicks in as well? The only thing I can think to do is either sim the last 2 minutes or put clutch at 0 so that ratings boost doesn't happen.
..."And there's a frequent bug that turns the receivers' route markers into dancing squiggly lines. None of these problems destroy the fun of running a perfect option play, but they do take you out of what should be an immersive experience."....
Old 01-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I have always had this issue with Madden & NCAA since forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 0

Pressure is the easiest way to disrupt the AIs passing attack. If they are going to march down the field anyway sending a big blitz isn't even that risky. If you want to sit back in soft coverage of course good QBs will pick you apart; that's what happens IRL, too. Match defensive concepts can get you tighter coverage, but they also carry big play risk. If you need a stop you must take some chances!

That being said AI clock management is attrocious and I have sometimes found success just playing Tampa 2 and forcing them to checkdown over and over. You need an effective 4 man rush and a respectable user for this to work. I've won dozens of games by getting the AI to clock itself.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

If I get the ball with less than 5 minutes to go I always try to run the clock down to practically nothing, that's the best defense.

If the cpu has a long way to go i'll play cvr 3 with purples and force it to check down.

If I feel like the cpu is destined to score I'll call heavy blitzes with the idea that i'll either get lucky or it will score quickly and leave me some time.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #8
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinersFan49
If I get the ball with less than 5 minutes to go I always try to run the clock down to practically nothing, that's the best defense.
I agree. But I hate the idea that when you are about to run the ball in for a late go ahead TD, the smart thing to do is the down the ball at the 1 yard line....just not all that realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »