Home

why cpu dont draft qb ?

This is a discussion on why cpu dont draft qb ? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
eco
Rookie

OVR: 0
why cpu dont draft qb ?

in madden 19 this is a huge and unreal problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: why cpu dont draft qb ?

2021 in my CFM, Big Ben retired and the CPU took the top QB at #5 in the draft. They had patched an issue where the CPU was drafting QB's on teams that didn't need one.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

I've heard people talking about this both ways.

I wonder if custom draft classes influences this at all. I personally saw Tua and Jake Fromm go in the 3rd round to the Patriots (after Brady retired) and the Broncos (who still were terrible) respectively when they had 1st round projection. That, I had a major problem with.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 01-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
Rookie

Well that depends. There is a limit to the number of teams willing to draft a qb in the first round because of their current QB, so if there are a bunch of QB's with a first round grade it makes sense that not all get drafted that high. In the draft after the 2nd year of my franchise i think 4 were picked in the 1st round, but that still left 2 qb's with a 1st round grade and some with a 2nd round grade. I have no issue with that.

If no QB's are taken in the 1st round and there are a couple available with a 1st round grade is something i would not like.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I've run a number of drafts recently...I have zero problem how the AI drafts QBs.

Top tier guys absolutely go in the first. However, there always seem to be a few guys with the cute little 1st/2nd round icon that slide to the 3rd (ignore that icon boys...it doesn't tell the whole story). But these guys are always the flawed, mediocre guys who max out with overalls in the mid 70s (rarely you might get like an 81 - but it's the highly athletic, can't throw type). The guys I've seen drop in the 3rd fall into 3 buckets (adding a real life "best case" vs "worst case" 3rd rounders) just to illustrate my point.

- Big arm but questions everywhere else (Nick Foles vs Sean Mannion). First grade is A+ THP, next is like a B or B-.

- Athletic, but how well does he throw (Russell Wilson vs Charlie Frye). Big combine numbers, might get a B+ THP and no acc traits in his top 3.

- Does a lot of things OK but nothing well (Brian Griese vs Garrett Grayson). Might get a A-/B+ THP, B/B+ short acc (woo hoo...rolls eyes) and these guys don't move well.

The question of how well these guys pan out depends highly on the development trait. A mid to upper-70s guy isn't going to be a stud with a normal dev trait. A star dev MIGHT, but it's still a crapshoot as to whether you get them or not. The fact that these guys are falling to the 3rd makes drafting so much more realistic (and more challenging).

I've seen a lot of threads on this topic and haven't chimed-in until now....I think the concerns here are highly overstated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I've run a number of drafts recently...I have zero problem how the AI drafts QBs.

Top tier guys absolutely go in the first. However, there always seem to be a few guys with the cute little 1st/2nd round icon that slide to the 3rd (ignore that icon boys...it doesn't tell the whole story). But these guys are always the flawed, mediocre guys who max out with overalls in the mid 70s (rarely you might get like an 81 - but it's the highly athletic, can't throw type). The guys I've seen drop in the 3rd fall into 3 buckets (adding a real life "best case" vs "worst case" 3rd rounders) just to illustrate my point.

- Big arm but questions everywhere else (Nick Foles vs Sean Mannion). First grade is A+ THP, next is like a B or B-.

- Athletic, but how well does he throw (Russell Wilson vs Charlie Frye). Big combine numbers, might get a B+ THP and no acc traits in his top 3.

- Does a lot of things OK but nothing well (Brian Griese vs Garrett Grayson). Might get a A-/B+ THP, B/B+ short acc (woo hoo...rolls eyes) and these guys don't move well.

The question of how well these guys pan out depends highly on the development trait. A mid to upper-70s guy isn't going to be a stud with a normal dev trait. A star dev MIGHT, but it's still a crapshoot as to whether you get them or not. The fact that these guys are falling to the 3rd makes drafting so much more realistic (and more challenging).

I've seen a lot of threads on this topic and haven't chimed-in until now....I think the concerns here are highly overstated.
Run a few drafts with custom draft classes because I agree that the couple of drafts I've run with generated classes the CPU is a lot better at drafting than years prior. But with generated classes I have straight up had 2 of the 3 best QB prospects fall all the way to the 3rd round and they were highly rated with star or superstar dev traits.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
Run a few drafts with custom draft classes because I agree that the couple of drafts I've run with generated classes the CPU is a lot better at drafting than years prior. But with generated classes I have straight up had 2 of the 3 best QB prospects fall all the way to the 3rd round and they were highly rated with star or superstar dev traits.
Dev trait - you can't see it (neither can CPU in theory). This is the 'luck of the draw' on whether you get a Nick Foles or a Ryan Mallett (or Manning vs Leaf). IMO, you can't claim this as "problematic" because it's just as much of a random variable whether the CPU (or user) picks a guy in the 1st round, 3rd round, or 7th round.

What do you consider to be "highly rated"? To me, 93+ for THP and 85+ across the board for at least 2 of the 3 accuracy ratings is "highly rated". As an example, I saw a 81 overall QB with 90 THP and sub 80 accuracy ratings (but athletic) drafted in the 3rd round (had a "1st round grade"). To me, that is not "highly rated" - that's a development project....he doesn't start for a year or two....because the athletic traits weigh too heavily on QB overalls...he's probably grades out to more like a 73 overall based on the critical traits....that's a number 3 QB. I have a guy like this I am forced to start in one of my franchises and it's brutal.

The only thing that I think needs "fixed" is that too many QBs are given the "1st round" grade on the UI....some of them need to go down to 2nd/3rd and the perception would be different.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
Seems to me that you might want to vet out the custom draft classes you are using... I've noticed that most draft classes aren't very balanced at all... Either too top heavy or way to stacked throughout the draft with gems so to speak... The logic is pretty good from what I can tell... And the dev traits are what really separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to players with "first round grades" (the dev trait system is still flawed don't get me wrong but it could be worse)... TFG has some pretty balanced draft classes and he even has a spreadsheet to follow along to create your own draft classes by his metrics... His rosters with the draft classes makes the league pretty balanced a few years out... Just my thoughts

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »