Home

Different ways to play through a season

This is a discussion on Different ways to play through a season within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8
Different ways to play through a season

I was thinking about different ways of playing through a season.
I used to play every game and as the years went on I've tried to find other ways to play to cut down game time. Now, having even less time (being a husband, father and business owner)
I'm curious to know what different ways you guys/gals play or could play in the future.
Other than playing every game, I've also played the "every 5 days" schedule and I'm not a fan of simming games.
One way I've thought of is playing every game BUT only pitch with my starter every 5 days otherwise I'll pitch with my relievers and hit with every batter.
I like pitching but it can get to be a bit much over the course of a season and like I said I have limited time to play nowadays.

Do you know of any other ways to play through a season?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Different ways to play through a season

I went through this very same process just a few weeks ago. I’ve always been the type that wanted to play every pitch of every game in my season (just MLB games, not the minors.) I was intrigued by quick counts when they were introduced, but I also wanted as many of the trophies as possible that year and for some reason they made it to where the majority of them could not be earned if QC was on. I also don’t like simming games… I like feeling like the stats I’m seeing are the stats I’ve earned.

Anyway, same as you, life changes and I now don’t have the time to play every pitch of every game. Actually with year to year saves I could probably play year round and get a season and a half or so in each year. But, I want to see some of my drafted prospects progress and see some of their careers. I went through many different iterations in my head of how to make this happen.
  • Play the first 41 games, sim the next 80, play the last 41? (Establish the team’s start, see what happens in the middle, then impact any division or WC races I might be involved in the last quarter of the season
  • Play the first month, sim the next, then play / sim every other month
  • Play a week, sim a week, then every other week the rest of the season

So, here’s what I settled on. I feel like this allows me to have the most actual user impact on the games as I can, while actually only playing around 82 games, and simming the rest:
  • Quick counts on
  • First series of the year: play the first and third game, quick manage the middle game
  • Second series of the year: quick manage the first and third game, play the middle game
  • Keep alternating like that all season
  • In the case of a four game series, play the first and last, quick manage the middle two
  • In the case of a two game series, play one, quick manage the other
  • Then of course play every playoff game should you make the postseason

What I like about this is, using quick manage allows me to still have an impact on that day’s lineup, bullpen usage, etc (simming can do some odd things with lineups and bullpen usage, I have found). It also allows me to have a good amount of user impact on a daily basis, as opposed to simming a large chunk of the season. It’s not perfect and I did / do have to make myself let go of some control, and be ok with some of the stats being simmed stats. But at least with those, I did choose if I wanted them to swing away, bunt, sac fly, etc. I’ve really enjoyed this method so far and I look forward to progressing through seasons more frequently than I did before, and get further along with actually building a team than I used to.

Hope this helps, or maybe at least sparks some ideas for you.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

I have played every pitch of the season and finished a whole season with the Reds every year since 1997.
I then start a new season with a random AL team every year using QC and usually get through the whole season of that too.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

Heres 1 way I did a while back:
Sunday games - play the complete game
Monday games - bat only, sim pitch
Tuesday games- pitch only, sim bat
Wednesday games- QC on
Thurday games - sim first 3 innings, play the rest
Friday games - sim middle 3 innings, play the rest
Saturday games- sim last 3 innings, play the rest, including extra innings

A Work in Progress
Old 01-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
MVP

TGov's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefanisu2003
I went through this very same process just a few weeks ago. I’ve always been the type that wanted to play every pitch of every game in my season (just MLB games, not the minors.) I was intrigued by quick counts when they were introduced, but I also wanted as many of the trophies as possible that year and for some reason they made it to where the majority of them could not be earned if QC was on. I also don’t like simming games… I like feeling like the stats I’m seeing are the stats I’ve earned.

Anyway, same as you, life changes and I now don’t have the time to play every pitch of every game. Actually with year to year saves I could probably play year round and get a season and a half or so in each year. But, I want to see some of my drafted prospects progress and see some of their careers. I went through many different iterations in my head of how to make this happen.
  • Play the first 41 games, sim the next 80, play the last 41? (Establish the team’s start, see what happens in the middle, then impact any division or WC races I might be involved in the last quarter of the season
  • Play the first month, sim the next, then play / sim every other month
  • Play a week, sim a week, then every other week the rest of the season

So, here’s what I settled on. I feel like this allows me to have the most actual user impact on the games as I can, while actually only playing around 82 games, and simming the rest:
  • Quick counts on
  • First series of the year: play the first and third game, quick manage the middle game
  • Second series of the year: quick manage the first and third game, play the middle game
  • Keep alternating like that all season
  • In the case of a four game series, play the first and last, quick manage the middle two
  • In the case of a two game series, play one, quick manage the other
  • Then of course play every playoff game should you make the postseason

What I like about this is, using quick manage allows me to still have an impact on that day’s lineup, bullpen usage, etc (simming can do some odd things with lineups and bullpen usage, I have found). It also allows me to have a good amount of user impact on a daily basis, as opposed to simming a large chunk of the season. It’s not perfect and I did / do have to make myself let go of some control, and be ok with some of the stats being simmed stats. But at least with those, I did choose if I wanted them to swing away, bunt, sac fly, etc. I’ve really enjoyed this method so far and I look forward to progressing through seasons more frequently than I did before, and get further along with actually building a team than I used to.

Hope this helps, or maybe at least sparks some ideas for you.
I actually really like your idea, I'm going to try it this upcoming season, or a variation of it. The biggest thing I dislike about simming is not having any impact on the outcome. I forgot about Quick Manage (haven't played in months) but it's a great idea that will let me have some control.

I'd also really like to get into year-to-year saves. I've tried it once, one of the first years they added it but some of the graphics we're weird when switching to the new version and I'm a sucker for the updated rosters. I can't stand restarting a franchise because of new roster additions, I (just like many others) am hoping for the ability to add players to existing franchise, it'll then I can still manual create them. I gotta withhold my instinct to have each and every active player in my franchise, especially when many never make it to the majors or are leapfrogged by CAPs in the draft.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
I actually really like your idea, I'm going to try it this upcoming season, or a variation of it. The biggest thing I dislike about simming is not having any impact on the outcome. I forgot about Quick Manage (haven't played in months) but it's a great idea that will let me have some control.

I'd also really like to get into year-to-year saves. I've tried it once, one of the first years they added it but some of the graphics we're weird when switching to the new version and I'm a sucker for the updated rosters. I can't stand restarting a franchise because of new roster additions, I (just like many others) am hoping for the ability to add players to existing franchise, it'll then I can still manual create them. I gotta withhold my instinct to have each and every active player in my franchise, especially when many never make it to the majors or are leapfrogged by CAPs in the draft.

As far as roster accuracy, I was the same way, and came up with a way around that as well. Again, you have to work hard to ignore deep seeded preferences , but I do like it.

So, what I do is get the latest OSFM rosters. Then I pick my team and start it with fantasy draft on. I allow myself to pick my first player (so my “cornerstone” player, if you will, and then sim the rest of the draft. This way, I’m starting off with a completely random / new roster, with its own issues to work through, and a completely random farm system as well. I may get a good MLB lineup but have a barren farm system. I may have the opposite or somewhere in between. Either way... when I carry over my save into the next version of The Show, I don’t care about roster accuracy compared to real life, because I have my own little baseball world going on. Plus, it’s kind of fun getting to know your division rivals and other league rivals as you play, as opposed to know what you have going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefanisu2003
As far as roster accuracy, I was the same way, and came up with a way around that as well. Again, you have to work hard to ignore deep seeded preferences , but I do like it.

So, what I do is get the latest OSFM rosters. Then I pick my team and start it with fantasy draft on. I allow myself to pick my first player (so my “cornerstone” player, if you will, and then sim the rest of the draft. This way, I’m starting off with a completely random / new roster, with its own issues to work through, and a completely random farm system as well. I may get a good MLB lineup but have a barren farm system. I may have the opposite or somewhere in between. Either way... when I carry over my save into the next version of The Show, I don’t care about roster accuracy compared to real life, because I have my own little baseball world going on. Plus, it’s kind of fun getting to know your division rivals and other league rivals as you play, as opposed to know what you have going in.

GULP....I could never do this. At the very least I must have my opening day rosters accurate. After that whatever happens, happens.

NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
GULP....I could never do this. At the very least I must have my opening day rosters accurate. After that whatever happens, happens.

I know I’m in the minority on this. I do like having real minor leaguers from OSFM, but this was the only way I could get myself to be ok with the roster inaccuracies the next season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »