Home

How to Get my MLB Clean of Blocks?

This is a discussion on How to Get my MLB Clean of Blocks? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How to Get my MLB Clean of Blocks?

So assuming this is more of a real football question and maybe it can be replicatated in Madden. Often times when playing in the 3-4 and playing as one of the MLB either a guard or the center swallows me up and stops me from making a play on the RB. At times I can shed the block and make a play, but many times I just cant do it on time.

While this happens I will look over and see the other MLB getting a clean gap to shoot and he blows up the run for a loss. Sometimes the LB I am usering gets to go unblocked and make a play, but many other times I am bogged down.

Is there anything I can see in the formation that would tip off which MLB(s) is about to get eaten up by the Oline? Is there anything formations I can run that will put me in the right position to get my MLB in the gap?

Last edited by Meddera; 01-25-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2019, 12:55 AM   #2
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Re: How to Get my MLB Clean of Blocks?

Back away farther from the line of scrimmage (LOS). Gives a little more reaction time to blockers and a chance to avoid the block. Getting in too close to the LOS can make it impossible with the speed that the offense jumps off the line and engages.

Check your Block Shed on your LB. anything below 80 is basically useless for a run stopping LB.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
Rookie

If you're having a hard time getting your linebackers involved in the run game, you might also want to consider running some stunts along with the d-line to shake things up on the inside.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:27 PM   #4
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Yeah, I’ve had issues with this, and ended up changing my LB strategy u could say. I used to fly towards the ball carrier and if a lineman tried to block me, I’d take him on and try to blockshed. I don’t think that’s the best way anymore. Lol. What I do now is to make my move toward the ball carrier, but try to avoid blockers and hopefully just avoid them to the side. That being said, I’m normally not able to make the tackle, but I’m drawing the O lineman out and my other players will make the tackle. I think that may be sort of realistic. Your first thought should be to avoid the blocker. But, u should also fill your gap. I actually just did a training thing in franchise mode that taught me that, which is kind of cool. I started doing that, and noticed my D lineman would free up better and make a tackle.

So, I guess I’m saying it’s tough to know who will be able to shoot free pre-snap. Depends on their formation and their blocking assignments. Sometimes, I don’t get blocked and shoot through for the tackle. I can tell they didn’t account for me or the play just had Olineman moving, like a counter trey or something. But, overall, u should play the position somewhat realistically, and hopefully your entire D will help out. Full disclosure - ive been getting beat up by cpu running lately. Lol. But, ive got a bit of an undersized lineup right now. But, again, I notice I’m better on D stopping the run when I play the position realistically, trying to avoid the block, but engaging if it helps clog the hole. I’ve got little Deion Jones and he can’t blockshed AT ALL!!! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2019, 03:28 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Yeah, I’ve had issues with this, and ended up changing my LB strategy u could say. I used to fly towards the ball carrier and if a lineman tried to block me, I’d take him on and try to blockshed. I don’t think that’s the best way anymore. Lol. What I do now is to make my move toward the ball carrier, but try to avoid blockers and hopefully just avoid them to the side. That being said, I’m normally not able to make the tackle, but I’m drawing the O lineman out and my other players will make the tackle. I think that may be sort of realistic. Your first thought should be to avoid the blocker. But, u should also fill your gap. I actually just did a training thing in franchise mode that taught me that, which is kind of cool. I started doing that, and noticed my D lineman would free up better and make a tackle.

So, I guess I’m saying it’s tough to know who will be able to shoot free pre-snap. Depends on their formation and their blocking assignments. Sometimes, I don’t get blocked and shoot through for the tackle. I can tell they didn’t account for me or the play just had Olineman moving, like a counter trey or something. But, overall, u should play the position somewhat realistically, and hopefully your entire D will help out. Full disclosure - ive been getting beat up by cpu running lately. Lol. But, ive got a bit of an undersized lineup right now. But, again, I notice I’m better on D stopping the run when I play the position realistically, trying to avoid the block, but engaging if it helps clog the hole. I’ve got little Deion Jones and he can’t blockshed AT ALL!!! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like using a LB who is young, fast, and not very good. I was using one with an ovr of 75, but due to this discussion I've now got a guy who is only 68 ovr, but still good speed and his block shed is 82. His worst stats are awareness and play recognition, but I am usering him non stop so not worried about those..

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter much. He gets bounced often. Sometimes I'm sneaky and can slide under the block and make a play. Others they just leave me unblocked. But I hardly ever shed a block and make the tackle.

I enjoy playing with these guys and trying to turn normal guys into stars. I still get a bunch of tackles just have a rough time often when trying to make the play against the run.

Last edited by Meddera; 01-26-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2019, 05:11 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Impact is nearly 100% proximity based meaning you have to be in the range of vision of the blocker which isn't too large. I'm assuming the tackle cone is applied for blocking interactions as they are for tackling. Meaning you can't be blocked if you can keep your cone out of theirs, mind you the offensive blocking cone is invisible so to break it down even more they can't individually reach block to either side you can only be blocked if your directly in front or in the path. If you can position to either side pre play then you should blow up things at the point of attack or they'll warp block you. Which can make the game less engaging from a realistic view cause the ai rarely adjusts, but if another user knows this too it's like a matchup to see who can abuse the META😂😂😂
Old 01-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #7
Pro

I am wondering if you are controlling the MLB.

It is one of the nonsensical things in this game. Whomever you are controller, the AI goes straight for. Control your safety and keep him away from the play. I bet you'll still have an AI blocker go straight for him.

Granted, I noticed this more in some of the older Maddens, but not 100% positive for this madden. I know it doesn't really answer your question, but it's probably not much you can do about it.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Madden is not good at replicating this. In a true 3-4 the dt and DEs draw the double teams to free up the lb to make a play. Madden is not great, but your DT does matter.

You could try shifting your line so that the DT is not head up with the center. Shift him so he lines between the center and guard. That may hold up the two long enough for you two o make a play, but you could also be exploited

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »