Home

House Rules for Trading

This is a discussion on House Rules for Trading within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2019, 03:14 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
House Rules for Trading

At times I think the AI does a good job at trade value and others I think it gets it way wrong. For example, I put Jenkins up on the trade block, a 29 year old corner with an 82 ovr and the Steelers offered me a 1 a 5 and a 7 for him. I traded him to them before and since have started over. Last time I traded him to them he was cut by the end of the year as he regressed down to a 79 ovr. So they gave up a lot of stuff for a guy they ended up cutting by the end of the season.

I started over recently because at the end of the season I noticed I had 4 first round picks in the top 15 and I realized I really didn't give up anything great to get them so I felt that I cheese'd the game and had to start over.

Does anyone employ house rules to avoid this scenario? I was thinking of just going with the eyeball test. If it is a trade I would not do from the other side then do not do it.

The game does not seem to value picks as much as the NFL. I honestly do not think the Giants could have gotten much more than a 4th rounder for Jenkins this season had they tried to move him. Tops a 3rd rounder and I think if someone had offered that he would have been gone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Rookie

phillies6f's Arena

Re: House Rules for Trading

I don’t have any hard and fast rules about it. I just check with myself if it passes the smell test.

Playing as Green Bay I had two rookie ILBs who developed into starting caliber players by mid season so I put Jake Ryan on the trade block. The pats offered a 1st and a 7th!! Declined that obviously.

I tend to look at the other teams needs and where they are as a team. If they look like a strong contender it sometimes makes more sense for them to be trading picks. But as you said, it’s really just a personal eye test.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Just started!

One rule I like to follow is there must be some sort of production based trade value.

Example being a backup player who has been progressed up to lets say an 85, but has yet to see the field or produced when seeing the field isn't really worth anything in a trade. Perhaps maybe a future 6th or 7th if they made some plays when put into duty.

Now if they were a 1st or 2nd round pick when they entered the league, it might be a little different.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
Rookie

[quote=Meddera;2049679920]At times I think the AI does a good job at trade value and others I think it gets it way wrong. For example, I put Jenkins up on the trade block, a 29 year old corner with an 82 ovr and the Steelers offered me a 1 a 5 and a 7 for him. I traded him to them before and since have started over. Last time I traded him to them he was cut by the end of the year as he regressed down to a 79 ovr. So they gave up a lot of stuff for a guy they ended up cutting by the end of the season.

I started over recently because at the end of the season I noticed I had 4 first round picks in the top 15 and I realized I really didn't give up anything great to get them so I felt that I cheese'd the game and had to start over.

Does anyone employ house rules to avoid this scenario? I was thinking of just going with the eyeball test. If it is a trade I would not do from the other side then do not do it.

My rules are pretty straight fwd

I don't allow a trade for me unless the CPU has traded already. I can't trade anymore then 1 team has i.e. IF the same team has 2 trades I can have 2 trades ect.

When trading I can only trade a player to a team who has that position need in top 5. Access this in bottom right in trade screen. IF your trading a player he has to be of one of those top 5 of their needs regardless of the offer. This keeps me from taking advantage of hording crazy top picks...

I don't limit who I trade for but they have to be on the trade block... NO BLOCK,NO TRADE
Old 02-03-2019, 09:40 PM   #5
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

99-95 2 ones
94-90 1
89-86 2
85-83 3
82-80 4
79-77 5
76-74 6
73-70 7

up level for QBs
Minus one for players in last year of contract
Minus one for players over 26
up one for each dev trait
Minus 1 for RB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies6f
I don’t have any hard and fast rules about it. I just check with myself if it passes the smell test.

Playing as Green Bay I had two rookie ILBs who developed into starting caliber players by mid season so I put Jake Ryan on the trade block. The pats offered a 1st and a 7th!! Declined that obviously.

I tend to look at the other teams needs and where they are as a team. If they look like a strong contender it sometimes makes more sense for them to be trading picks. But as you said, it’s really just a personal eye test.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Yup, smell test.

I used to have a hard set of rules but the NFL is changing and for me, you never know what is gonna happen. I look at the whole picture and see if I can convince myself that would happen.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
Yup, smell test.

I used to have a hard set of rules but the NFL is changing and for me, you never know what is gonna happen. I look at the whole picture and see if I can convince myself that would happen.
I'm the same way I just use the smell test. Like you said the NFL is changing, just look at how much busier the trade deadline is and its probably only going to get busier. Also in the real NFL a human element comes in to play where one GM may value a player higher than everyone else because of a particular skill set and be willing to give more. Before trading a player to a team for picks I always look at their roster and at least make sure the player I'm sending would fit with that team. If it's an older player I'm sending I make sure that I'm sending him to a team that's a contender or on the verge of contention. I don't really have any hard rules though, I watch a lot of football and follow the offseason just as close as the season so it's easy to know when a trade just feels off.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
Rookie

I think it’s more even overall this year.

CPU robs you blind during the draft, to trade up or down. It’s also way greedier for guys on the trade block. Have to overpay there almost every time.

So if I can get a little more back the othe way, by trading guys TO them....I figure it’s a wash

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »