Home

Which pitching interface is the most realistic one to use?

This is a discussion on Which pitching interface is the most realistic one to use? within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Which pitching interface is the most realistic one to use?

I have been using classic, but was wondering if any of the other ones is more realistic in base of outcomes both pitching and hitting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Re: Which pitching interface is the most realistic one to use?

If you want player ratings and %’s to be the primary driver classic is the only game in town.

Once you start using meter, pulse and analog it gos to stick and button skills.

That is my opinion of course.

I came from MVP Baseball to The Show in 2009 and was a meter guy and once I started playing classic, with no ball marker......from the broadcast behind the pitcher camera....I never went back to any other way to play this game.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 03-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

It highly depends on what kind of a mix you want between user skill and pitcher ratings.

Personally, I highly recommend pulse. It's a great mix between player skill and ratings. You will always be able to have an impact, but turn up the difficulty and there will always be room for missing your spot due to pitcher attributes.

Make sure that difficulty is high though. Pulse on anything lower than HoF is basically cheating, and even HoF is pretty easy. Huge jump in difficulty between HoF and Legendary. I played HoF with the CPU boosted using sliders, then finding that too easy I went Legend default and got consistently crushed. I now play on Legend with the CPU nerfed a bit with sliders. Perfect level for my skill.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

Well both of these guys above me are two guys that have been here forever and absolutely know their stuff ^^^^ but yes pulse and classic would be most realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

I delved into the Classic Pitching after also being a transfer from MVP Baseball.

I tried the Meter, as it was the MVP mode of choice, then moved to pulse, and even tried mixing it up with different modes within the series of my season.

What I realized was that once you realized the cadence of the Pulse, and once the timing of the meter was quickly learned, you could turn your number-five starter, with an ERA north of four, into CY Young.

Picking spots, hitting corners and throwing filthy stuff, was simply a function of learning the mini-game of the pitching mode you chose.

After a gentle nudging from A&S to turn off all the indicators (clean screen) and give Classic a whirl, it took one game, and I'll never go back.

We can start a whole new thread on "Variable Stuff" and whether or not the game has a pre-disposition to trends and outcomes of pitching outings prior to taking the mound, but for a true representation of stats, ratings, and pitch efficiency, the Classic setting can really tax your nerves (in a great way).

I push the clean-screen to the point of no pitch selection on the screen as well. You need to either make an index card for each pitcher with his arsenal, and ratings of the different pitches, or memorize who has what.

I also make notes on hitter's hot and cold zones with the same number system I used in college, and utilize shifts and defensive adjustments accordingly.

The standard Po-Co answer to this question is "Whatever pitching mode you prefer and enjoy".

But the real answer is pretty obvious...

~syf
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
What I realized was that once you realized the cadence of the Pulse, and once the timing of the meter was quickly learned, you could turn your number-five starter, with an ERA north of four, into CY Young.

My pitchers miss that memo. In fact, they do worse in Pulse than Classic. Leaving my sliders the same, if all I do is change interface, they all do objectively worse. Whiff rate drops, runs go up, CPU chase rate drops, etc.

I even tracked how many Good/Perfect I got. It was like 93%. So I wasn't misusing the interface.

The thing I dislike most about Classic is it's very hard to pitch with a good zone %.

Real pitchers put strikes in the zone less than 50% in most cases. They try to induce chases. Classic just ruins that because mistakes on pitches I want out of the zone don't just become obvious balls enough. Instead they become either borderline strikes or worse.

It's like "mistake" has to equal "crushable pitch". A lot of times it just means "easy take".

Last edited by KBLover; 03-21-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:41 PM   #7
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
My pitchers miss that memo. In fact, they do worse in Pulse than Classic. Leaving my sliders the same, if all I do is change interface, they all do objectively worse. Whiff rate drops, runs go up, CPU chase rate drops, etc.

I even tracked how many Good/Perfect I got. It was like 93%. So I wasn't misusing the interface.

The thing I dislike most about Classic is it's very hard to pitch with a good zone %.

Real pitchers put strikes in the zone less than 50% in most cases. They try to induce chases. Classic just ruins that because mistakes on pitches I want out of the zone don't just become obvious balls enough. Instead they become either borderline strikes or worse.

It's like "mistake" has to equal "crushable pitch". A lot of times it just means "easy take".
Pulse's effectiveness can vary wildly based on roster, input lag, difficulty, etc. These things can all effect the different interfaces in a different way.

I'm not approving or disproving anybody's opinion on the modes, just offering an explanation as to why you two might be seeing such a difference in results.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 03-29-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

Let me be clear here... I do not dislike Pulse, it is actually pretty fun, other than the graphical clutter involved with it.

My all-time favorite, and honestly must intuitive pitcher mode was by another MLB game that required a specific input and accuracy based no only on ratings, but the movement on the stick itself.

Fast balls were straight down and straight up, 12-6 curveballs were up to 12 o'clock and stick swing to 6 o'clock, and your result was based on how well you performed the necessary motion, as well as the zone of error, based on ratings.

It was fun, didn't get in the way of the screen, gave feedback based on the input, and was super intuitive, while being challenging. I also liked the the entire input was done prior to the pitch, so you could watch the pitch motion and delivery with no clutter. (the rest of the game was a hot mess but the pitching was well done for sure).

I have my idiosyncrasies with Classic pitching that can get frustrating, and you touched on the biggest one- I want to throw a ball, and miss the strike zone by enough to either get a weak hack or just a different eye level on the batter, but there is a disconnect with how far away I need to aim to make sure it doesn't come back over the plate and be hittable.

I take this with a grain of salt, as in real life, there is a fine line between missing on purpose, and with such purpose as to not even getting a swing and miss.... and trying to miss just enough to be effective, but not so much as to be a wasted pitch. This line blurs with Classic, and it takes some practice and some repetitions to realize which guys on your staff can throw that 2 seamer and miss by a foot, or whose pitch leaks back over the outside edge and gets smacked.

As I have grown to love the clean screen, I'll take the mystery over gimmicky clutter, but while I wish someone could uncover and reveal the secrets of the Classic Pitching input, once that were to happen, it would be just like counting the cadence of the pulse pitching.

~syf

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »