Home

My Scouting Fix

This is a discussion on My Scouting Fix within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
My Scouting Fix

I've seen a couple of threads on this so I'll repost. Everyone agrees-- well everyone except EA-- that this scouting system is archaic. Here is my fix. It makes too much sense so EA would never do it. If we took EA's scouting and applied it to the real world, this is what we're essentially left with:

GM: I want you to scout this running back
Scout: Ok. I did what you asked. I spent 20 minutes and I can tell you that his best attribute is that he doesn't fumble
GM: Ok, tell me more
Scout: Ok, but it will take more time
*time passes*
Scout: Ok, his best attribute is he doesn't fumble. His next best is that he has good vision. After that, he runs good routes. I think we can draft him in the 2nd round.

We all know that's not how it works-- well, all of us except EA. I think we all can pretty much agree that all personnel departments evaluate the same players. However, we all know-- well, all except EA-- that some teams are better than others. Some teams had Tim Tebow a 5th round pick and others had him a first round. Some teams had Johnny Manziel a 3rd round, others had him a first.

If EA adopts my super simple idea (for which I do not even need credit) they would implement this in the game. My solution is to do away with this points nonsense. Instead, you see all the ratings for all the players. However, with my system, you will also see a range. How small that range is is dependent on how good your personnel department is. So if your personnel department stinks. you will see Tim Tebow's rating as, say 85, but the +/- range is 15. So he could be as high as a 100 or as low as a 70. You won't know until you draft him. Or if your personnel department is good, his range might be +/- 3 so he is between 82 and 88.

What makes a "good" personnel department? That's where owner mode comes in. Your budget (derived by success) determines the personnel department you can hire; the coaches you can hire and so forth. In another thread, I'll detail how coaches will influence player development.

But this is a remarkably simple and straightfoward solution is this scouting system. And if EA were creative-- which they are not, then they could add many layers to this. Some teams are better at scouting offensive players; some at defensive players. So are better at finding late-round gems. All of these elements can be applied.

God, I wish I had the resources to make my own game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: My Scouting Fix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-LohlvKtmI

just watch that video. That is how scouting should be done.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjay82
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-LohlvKtmI

just watch that video. That is how scouting should be done.
Looks very similar to what Duece layed out in his thread. EA has his blueprint so hopefully we see some of his projections in 2020.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:29 AM   #4
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzaa
Looks very similar to what Duece layed out in his thread. EA has his blueprint so hopefully we see some of his projections in 2020.
What if I told you that was in fact, the same guy?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reed's WWE 2k23 Universe: Youtube Edition
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...e-edition.html
Old 03-16-2019, 02:01 AM   #5
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed1417
What if I told you that was in fact, the same guy?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Oh yeah. I clicked on it again and saw his name. Hopefully EA listens and wants to make this game better in all aspects.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »