Home

Manage vs. Play

This is a discussion on Manage vs. Play within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Manage vs. Play

Hi all,

I am considering getting The Show this year. I haven't really extensively played a baseball video game since I was a teenager. Probably Ken Griffey baseball on N64. I've dabbled with various games over the years such as World Series Baseball, MVP Baseball, and The Show. But nothing has ever stuck. Primarily because I am just not that good at video game baseball. I can never draw walks, and usually end up too good at pitching, etc. Its always been hard for me to enjoy the actual game in game out experience as realistic games are few and far between.

Despite that I still love the game of baseball and have an interest in recreating it in the virtual world. As I said, I am debating picking up The Show this year and doing a franchise, but primarily just managing games. I'll play some here or there and do a player lock here and there as well, but since I typically dont get the experience I want out of playing every game I am thinking managing most games may be a fun alternative.

Has anyone else tried this? And if so is it worthwhile? I know OTP is a better sim, but I'm not interested in a text based game.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2019, 03:27 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Manage vs. Play

I would definitely give it a go. Luckily for you this series is pretty incredible with emulating the game ai vs ai. In fact I would say it is unmatched by any other sports game when it comes to manage mode and so forth.

If you do give it a try this year I think you will agree.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Banned

Drty_Windshield's Arena

Maybe I'm weird, but I watch AI vs AI games frequently. I'll pick the line up and change pitchers etc., but I enjoy just watching the game.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Pro

BigOrangeVol4Life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drty_Windshield
Maybe I'm weird, but I watch AI vs AI games frequently. I'll pick the line up and change pitchers etc., but I enjoy just watching the game.
Me too. Get a quality OSFM-based roster, add Nomo's latest CPU vs CPU slider sets to it, and it's about as close to real baseball as you'll see.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

I will occasionally use the manage only feature and I must say it is really well done. I particular like the offset camera that shows the batter, catcher AND the umpire in full view. A thing of beauty. I think you'd be really happy with this feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpklub
Hi all,

I am considering getting The Show this year. I haven't really extensively played a baseball video game since I was a teenager. Probably Ken Griffey baseball on N64. I've dabbled with various games over the years such as World Series Baseball, MVP Baseball, and The Show. But nothing has ever stuck. Primarily because I am just not that good at video game baseball. I can never draw walks, and usually end up too good at pitching, etc. Its always been hard for me to enjoy the actual game in game out experience as realistic games are few and far between.

Despite that I still love the game of baseball and have an interest in recreating it in the virtual world. As I said, I am debating picking up The Show this year and doing a franchise, but primarily just managing games. I'll play some here or there and do a player lock here and there as well, but since I typically dont get the experience I want out of playing every game I am thinking managing most games may be a fun alternative.

Has anyone else tried this? And if so is it worthwhile? I know OTP is a better sim, but I'm not interested in a text based game.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Pick a team in franchise mode and when you start a game pick manage game as the option. Most people joystick the game but a lot of people including myself only manage the games.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Let's Go Pens!

LetsGoBucs's Arena

OVR: 10

Just a quick reminder that Manage Only is only available in Franchise mode. If you want to just play a random game and manage, it's not available to do. They took it out a few years back.

I used to use that mode a lot because my TV at the time had really bad lag, and I just couldn't hit at all. Plus, I really like the Manage Only option and it was fun just to play a random exhibition game.

Anyway, wasn't sure if you knew that or not...
NBA: Denver Nuggets, Orlando Magic
NCAA: Penn State Nittany Lions, Boston College Eagles
Old 03-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #8
Pro

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will probably pick it up, but wait for a price drop. I don't have time to get into it right at launch with some stuff we have going on, but it sounds like I would still have fun with it. Thanks for the feedback!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »