Home

Texas Pride: A Texas Rangers Story

This is a discussion on Texas Pride: A Texas Rangers Story within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0
Texas Pride: A Texas Rangers Story

Hello! I am the new owner of the Texas Rangers. My goal is to bring them to postseason glory. They are a team that has had a little success but have never won a World Series. They started in the league in 1961 as the third iteration of the Washington Senators and moved to Texas to start the 1972 season and have been there ever since. This is a team that last made the playoffs and won their division only 3 years ago and are in need of rebuilding.

My plan is simple. Our strategy is to build up the farm system and make smart trades and free agency signings with the ultimate goal of becoming World Series Champs. The Rangers have a few interesting pieces to build around, especially that of Joey Gallo. With him being young and not yet in his prime, we have time to build up the team around him through the draft and through trades. One of our early goals will be to secure him long term. There is no timeframe for this rebuild to be complete but the goal is to create sustained success.

Housekeeping and Settings:

Simulating almost all games. Well, I may play a few here and there to gauge player talents and to break up the simulation. If I want to assess a specific player, I will usually play a game or 2 with them player locked to see their overall ability.

Difficulty: All-Star. I used my last sliders from ’18 as my base then adjust for ’19 as needed. I will be playing games from my carryover franchise and use them here once I am locked in. With this being a mostly simulation franchise, I am not too worried about it.

Rosters: I am using Full Minors 19 with a few tweaks to ratings, nothing major.

Trades: Trades must benefit both teams before I make them. They have to make sense. I will not hose the CPU.

Roster Control: I will have 30 team roster control on just so I can monitor/reverse any insane trades and have some realistic say in where the top free agents go. This will be my first attempt at 30 team control so I am not entirely sure how it will go. Other than that, I won't interfere.

Updates:

I have not yet decided on how I am going to do updates through this dynasty. I want to focus on the long term with the Rangers and not just one season so my intent will be to progress multiple years as reasonably as possible. This is also my last MLB the Show game I am buying so I will not be resetting in 2020. I made this decision a while back and I am just making sure everyone reading this knows my mindset.

I will use some graphics, charts, and other pictures to share the story. I will probably do monthly updates or I may do preseason, draft, all-star, end of regular season, end of post season, and off-season recaps for the Rangers. I may share tidbits of stories on other teams, but my main focus will be the Rangers. I will also probably do some prospect profiles on players I drafted, signed in free agency, and traded for. I may also do the occasional news article to break up everything else as well.

Offseason updates will mostly focus on the Rangers, but I will share any big signings or other vital information from across the league.

In the past, I have had a few snags in keeping dynasties going long term. My issue is that I am excited to see what happens in my dynasty that I end up 2-3 years ahead of where I am writing and have to back track significantly for updates. My plan this year is to focus on up to 3 different dynasties in the game. This one I will be writing so I stay on pace plus a few additional ones I can go through at a fast pace and not worry about writing updates from far ahead.

I am not sure the pace at which this will move but I will not work to far ahead.

Welcome to the Rangers Story!

Thanks for reading.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 04-13-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Re: Texas Pride: A Texas Rangers Story

Announcements

Updated 4-12-19

Updated first post. Using Full Minors 19. Will probably make a few tweaks and/or modify a few ratings here or there. Nothing major.

Starting up this weekend!

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 04-12-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Previous Team History:

2018 and Before (Any future updates will be in the section below):

2018 Record: 67-95 (5th AL West)
Wild Card Berth: 1 (2012)
Division Titles: 7 (1996, 1998, 1999, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2016)
AL Titles: 2 (2010, 2011)
World Series Titles: 0
All-Time Record: 4425-4829 (.478)

Retired Numbers:

7 (Ivan Rodriguez)
26 (Johnny Oates)
34 (Nolan Ryan)
42 (Jackie Robinson)

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 03-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Team History (Franchise History) 2019 and Forward:

*once this starts to have information, I will spoiler this*

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 03-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

How I rebuild:

Here is my personal strategy for rebuilding. It is fairly long-winded.

1. Patience: Patience is a virtue. Especially in rebuilding in MLB. I need to fully commit to a rebuild and accept my status as a bottom dweller for a while. I am a lifelong Cleveland sports fan, so I am a pro at this. It’s not like Madden and NBA 2k, we can’t trade our roster for high draft picks and be a title holder 2 years later.

2. Don’t promote prospects before they are ready. Promoting a prospect to the MLB level before he is ready, because I can’t wait to use that 62A pitcher you drafted 2 years ago and he is now a 72 overall, is a sure-fire way to stunt his growth. I set a magic number (rating) for early promotion to MLB.

3. AA vs. AAA: This relates to #2. Players grow based on stats, amongst other things. I keep my future MLB players who will be a part of my future, in AA as long as possible. They only get moved to AAA if I have another player in the position I want to develop. I commonly have 75A and B players at my AA level. I use AAA for my career minor leaguers and again, over flow on my prospects. I will commonly have a top 3 AA team and a bottom 3 AAA team at the same time. Those 75 overall players are playing against lesser talent and will have solid seasons and therefore lots of growth.

4. Playing time: Players need playing time to grow. This related back to #3.

5. Free Agency: I do not spend here until I need a few pieces to make me into a championship contender. I use it so sign MLB players to 1-2 year long contracts to hold spots on my roster until my prospects are ready.

6. 40 Man Roster: I keep some of my career minor leaguers on here to be called up when there are injuries. I do not add my prospects on here before they are ready.

7. Player growth and the Rule 5 Draft: I keep almost all my core prospects in the minors until they are Rule 5 Draft eligible. I have had players that are 86A overall and still be in my farm system. Only when they come up Rule 5 eligible do I make the decision about their MLB future. If they are part of the future, before I sign them, I first add them to the 40-man roster then promote them to the MLB level. Then I go to resign them to a 3-year deal. This will give you an idea of what kind of money they want and what role. Instead of signing them to a 3 year/$500K deal and them being unhappy (which happens if you sign before adding to roster and promoting), you can still get them typically on a 3 year/$2M deal. I tend to bump up about another $750K to $1M to keep them happy. I still get a 3-year, team friendly deal, and since they have little to no MLB service time, they are happy too. Players I don’t need but are good overall, I can add to my 40-man, sign to a small deal and use as trade pieces to round out my roster and give another team an MLB ready player and not shaft them. The exception to this rule is if I am ready to contend and I have ready prospects (again at my magic rating number), I will promote them before they are rule 5 eligible.

8. After a 3-year team friendly deal, I still get 2 more years of arbitration. This gives me a lot of control over players who are now my MLB core.

9. Rule 5 Draft and drafting players: This is a good place to find some MLB ready talent. This links back to #5.

10. Team Focus: I decide what I want to focus on. Meaning power vs. contact, etc. I like to focus on contact and fielding and only want a couple to true power guys in my lineup so I scout and draft accordingly. When I focus on pitching, I focus on who will be my ace, another 2 starters, and the back end of my bullpen. Especially my 2 set up pitchers. I will generally make some of my long relievers former starting pitchers for that stamina so they can pitch 3 innings for me if need be.

11. Drafting: I typically will not draft anyone over the age of 21. I won’t even scout them typically. Last thing I want is a 24-year-old drafted and in 5 years they are now 29 and MLB ready as a rookie. By the time they finish their team friendly contract, as discussed above, they are about to be on the decline on a follow up deal. I focus on players age 18-21, that way if their MLB ETA is 4 years out, they are still only 22-25 when they are MLB ready.

12. Remember that not all prospects are a sure thing. Some develop, some don’t. Don’t be afraid to move on from a prospect if he is not developing. If they are 22-24 years old, and only 60B overall, they still have some trade value. They might turn into a good player in a few years but it is a risk/benefit analysis, especially if I can get a player or another prospect in return.

13. I scout the league the day after the draft for unsigned draft picks. I sometimes find some real steals here. I write down their name and their rating, and sign them day 1 of free agency. This is a way to boost my farm system and get extra talent. I have had players signed this way be big contributors on my MLB club down the road.

My point in sharing all of this is to show that I exercise patience in rebuilds. In my experience, this process sustains long term success and that is what we are after in our Rangers story. Keep in mind this is just my strategy.

There are different ways to go about it but I want everyone to know my thinking in team building as we move forward.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

2019 Roster:

Texas Rangers Depth Chart - 2019
  • Catcher
  • Jeff Bandy (71D)
  • Jeff Mathis (70C)
  • First Base
  • Ronald Guzman (71B)
  • Second Base
  • Rougned Odor (84B)
  • Logan Forsythe (72C)
  • Third Base
  • Asdrubal Cabrera (79C)
  • Patrick Wisdom (69A)
  • Shortstop
  • Elvis Andrus (82C)
  • Left Field
  • Joey Gallo (83A)
  • Shin-Soo Choo (77B)
  • Center Field
  • Delino DeShields Jr (76B)
  • Right Field
  • Nomar Mazara (74A)
  • Hunter Pence (72C)
  • Starting Pitcher
  • Mike Minor (82C)
  • Drew Smyly (80C)
  • Shelby Miller (74B)
  • Lance Lynn (73C)
  • Jason Hammel (69C)
  • Relief Pitcher
  • Chris Martin (76C)
  • Shawn Kelley (75C)
  • Matt Bush (72C)
  • Jesse Chavez (72C)
  • Jeanmar Gomez (70D)
  • Zach McAllister (68C)
  • Closer
  • Jose Leclerc (86B)

2019 Top Ranger Prospects:

2019 Rangers Top Prospects
#PITCHERSPOSB/TAGEHTWTSALARY
1Cole Winn (65A)SPR/R196'2"194N/A
2Hans Crouse (64B)SPL/R206'4"180N/A
#INFIELDERSPOSB/TAGEHTWTSALARY
1Christopher Siese (62B)SSR/R206'3"175N/A
#OUTFIELDERSPOSB/TAGEHTWTSALARY
1Leody Tavares (64A)CFS/R206'1"170N/A
2Julio Pablo Martinez (63B)CFL/L225'8"177N/A
3Bubba Thompson (62B)CFR/R206'2"180N/A
4Michael Aparicio (60B)RFL/L206'0"165N/A
5Pedro Gonzalez (61B)LFR/R216'5"190N/A

The Rangers have a few good prospects in the system but depth is needed and they currently hold no prospects in the top 50.

2019 Staff:

Manager: Chris Woodward (B) 2 years
Hitting Coach: Luis Ortiz (A) 2 years
Pitching Coach: Omar Canon (C) 4 years
First Base Coach: Patrick Hagar (A) 2 years
Third Base Coach: Michael Diehl (C) 1 year
Farm Director: Grover Munoz (B) 4 years

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 03-28-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

2019 Schedule:

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 03-28-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

2019 Power Rankings:

My ranks:

Power: 18
Pitching: 26
Speed: 23
Defense: 11

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 03-28-2019 at 01:38 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »