Home

How Do You Play The Show?

This is a discussion on How Do You Play The Show? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How Do You Play The Show?

I thought I'd throw this out there to see what type of players we have out there. In my experience there are a few different type of players.

1. The Market Guy
This is the guy who spends a lot of time 'playing' the market. Investing in players he thinks will go up in value, searching for the best deals etc. Usually this game is more about playing the market to improve their team then playing the game.

2. The Collection Guy
We've all run into this guy, he's the one who has 5 collection rewards. This is the player who sells golds/diamonds to complete different collections. For these guys the ultimate goal is about completing as much as they can.

3. The Speed Guy
We've probably all played against this guy before. He has Trea Turner, Dee Gordon, Billy Hamilton, Rickey Henderson, etc. He's bunting and looking for walks 90% of the time and you can be damn sure he's going to steal everytime. You can usually tell this guy when his first batter comes to the plate with a lifetime average of .129 but has 30 some odd steals.

4. The Power Guy
This is the opposite of the speed guy, he's got a lineup of all power hitters. Usually someone like Stanton or Martinez is leading off. He's a power swinger, so his hits are solo bombs and he strikes out alot, but God help you if you miss your spot with a fastball.

5. The Inside Edge Guy
I've played this guy before. He's the one who everyday has the top performing Inside Edge players in his lineup. You can usually tell at the lineup screen, because he'll be playing 5-6 Silver players who are boosted by 5 or 6 rankings. This guy worries me, he's usually a pretty good player.

6. The Diamond Guy
There are a few variations of this guy. But I'm going with the guy who has as many diamonds crammed into his lineup as possible. He's got diamonds playing in 2nd-3rd positions and is completely sacrificing his defense for the all diamond lineup.

7. The Swinging Guy
This isn't anything dirty. It's just the guy who swings at EVERYTHING. You'll know you're playing him when you're out of the first inning in 5 pitches.

8. The Match Up Guy
This is the guy who has a relief pitcher for every situation and he has no qualms about bringing them all in. He's got the hard throwing leftie, the breaking bull guy, the sinker ball double play guy, etc.

9. The Just Play Guy
These are the guys who seem to just play the game. They suffer because with a little more patience, they could put together some pretty good lineups, but they dont. These are the play the cards your dealt guys.

10. The Offline Guy
These are the guys who rarely bring their teams online. Instead they focus on offline modes etc.

So the question I pose is which one (or combination) are you?

I'm pretty much the just play guy. I play the game because I enjoy the game, sure I dabble in the markets etc, but really just to pick up what I think is missing on my team. I don't sit on 10 copies of one card hoping to flip them (though I really should start doing this). I also have a really bad tendency to be the 'swing at everything guy' I find 75% of the pitches in the game are low strikes, so I always set my PCI for the bottom third of the zone, looking down there though makes it hard to lay off some of the breaking balls and I find myself swinging at about anything sometimes. I've got a bit of the matchup guy in me as well. I've got 3 righties and 3 lefties in the pen. Subs who excel at hitting one particular handiness, speed and then Ben Zobrist (who can cover any position, basically) though I only go to this strategy in close, competitive games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

Re: How Do You Play The Show?

7(But I try really hard to adjust, I just fall for the ball low a lot), 9, and 10. My lineup is diamond heavy, but nobody is off position. I also insert as many Phillies into my lineup as I can, even sacrificing in a spot or two.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

I feel like I’m a little of everything. I try and do the missions I can and I will play the events to get 20 cumulative wins fir the reward. I’m not good enough to win 12 straight.

I try and build my team the best I can to focus on RS. I will do 2-3 collections depending on the reward and if I have a head start. I had Degrom, Coespedes, and Cano so outside of spending stubs on Syndergard it was easy to complete the Mets and get Piazza. I also had Votto so I completed the Reds for Parker. Probably won’t do any more because I’m saving what little stubs I have left.

I wouldn’t say I’m a market guy. I sell more than buy and I’m not patient enough to flip.

My team is mostly Diamonds but I don’t play people out of position. Most teams I’m facing are all Diamonds and it’s seems it’s to easy to obtain them this year.

I like to build my CAP and use him in RS

As far as gameplay I’m pretty patient at the plate but fall for bad pitches more than I would like. Pitching I get hurt by a bad timed meter fat pitch at least once a game. I try to strategize with my bullpen and bench players but I think I don’t use them enough as I’m always rationing my players when I don’t need too. I know it’s time to turn it off when I start swinging at everything it means I’m bored.

That’s about it
Old 04-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
Rookie

I am definitely a 10 - Offline Guy first and foremost. I also play the market (mostly flipping cards) in order to try to complete as many collections as possible.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
Rookie

Seltaeb9091's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm also primarily a 10 guy. I'd say that Franchise gets maybe 70-80% of my attention, while Conquest bides my time if I don't have 90 spare minutes to advance my season. Once I am in DD, I start out as a 9 and just try to make do with whatever the free packs and post game draws give me, but after several months of rewards and resources I used to turn into a 6, but now not quite as much anymore. Last year showed me that a diamond player doesn't guarantee results, because I couldn't do diddly squat with hardware Dale Murphy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
MVP

Syce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdfc
7(But I try really hard to adjust, I just fall for the ball low a lot), 9, and 10. My lineup is diamond heavy, but nobody is off position. I also insert as many Phillies into my lineup as I can, even sacrificing in a spot or two.
if you fall for the ball low alot, you should just try out a different camera angle that lets you read those pitches a bit better. who knows maybe it will/will not help. just a thought.
Toronto Maple Leafs
Old 04-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
Just started!

I'm definitely the speed guy, and swing at everything guy. I literally have all those players you mentioned. Henderson, Turner, Gordon, Hamilton, I also have Byron Buxton. Mostly cause his defense in CF is incredible.

I don't bunt much, but I steal every time. I don't want to swing at everything, but I can't help it. When I played real baseball I had good plate discipline. In this game its impossible for me to be patient SM

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »