Home

Stealing help desperately needed.

This is a discussion on Stealing help desperately needed. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Rookie

zrtelford's Arena

OVR: 3
Stealing help desperately needed.

I have never been a great base stealer in the show. But this year, I am down right terrible. Could be its harder, or I am just older, or rusty. Anyways, If someone would take the time to break down how they steal, from the lead off, to when they go etc, I would greatly appreciate it! Really enjoying the game this year in My M's chise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
Rookie

nickfa83's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Stealing help desperately needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtelford
I have never been a great base stealer in the show. But this year, I am down right terrible. Could be its harder, or I am just older, or rusty. Anyways, If someone would take the time to break down how they steal, from the lead off, to when they go etc, I would greatly appreciate it! Really enjoying the game this year in My M's chise.

What difficulty do you play on? Obviously the harder the difficulty, the harder time you will be able to steal. I would suggest turning the CPU pickoff slider way down (they still throw over to first a lot) Also, they tend to throw over a lot less when you don't take an extra step at leading off. The default lead off is already sufficient enough space away from 1B to successfully steal with a decent jump.

I would just study the delivery mechanics to each pitcher and how fast/slow they are to the plate. Don't try to steal on the first pitch, try to wait for a breaking ball count to run on. Also, don't try to steal every time you're on base. Only when the situation calls for it.

Hope this was some service to you.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

A couple decent tips in this thread: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ing-bases.html
Old 04-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
Pro

ryanmc564's Arena

I was struggling too, then I remember what I was doing in 17 (skipped 18) to not get thrown out a bunch. at the start of the at bat, I tap L2 (cue to steal) then once the pitcher sets up and is getting ready to pitch, I then take my secondary lead L1 (I have ever seen a pitcher throw to first using this method) once the pitcher goes in to motion, the runner takes off. with good speed you swipe that bag 9 times out of 10
Old 04-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

There is an advanced method, that requires some finger dexterity, and a weird hand position on the controller, but it can be effective.. and fun.

When you take your lead, and if you have the pitcher in a count where he is maybe ahead, or apt to throw something offspeed, squeeze and release the L trigger. This tells your guy at first you want him to steal.

Next, wait for the lead off, then position your hand so that you can re-squeeze the L trigger with your middle finger, and keep it pulled.

Use your index finger and set it on the L1 button, and when the pitcher comes set, give the L1 a squeeze, increasing the lead off by a step, and if the pitcher does not throw over, immediately release the L2 so that your runner takes off at the pitcher's first movement.

****CAVEAT****

The game does not allow you to take advantage of pitchers that are slow to the plate, or have an delivery from the stretch that would result in a stolen base 100% of the time.

Pitchers that come to the set, then have a high leg kick, or have a hitch in their delivery due to the animation, will have the luxury of the runner not stealing until the animation has played out.

This is most noticeable with the Asian pitchers, with the Dice-K style hesitation that they must teach over there... The game does not allow you to bolt from first base on that first lift up of the leg, which would result in an easy stolen base, so you have to resort to the Squeeze and Release, which can get you an extra step, and sometimes, that spark is all you need to start the rally.

Give it a shot. It is fun getting the timing down, and the reward makes the stolen base pretty satisfying.
~syf

Last edited by stealyerface; 04-10-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
Kitten Mittens!!

thegut's Arena

OVR: 2

My main issue right now is the telepathic pitcher that always knows when I'm going to steal. I barely ever steal but I'll be darned if the CPU makes the perfect pitch out call almost everytime.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

OVR: 1

This has become so bad for me the last two years that I basically dont even attempt to steal anymore. My guys get thrown out with ease. Before mlb 18 I had pretty good success with taking a one step lead and then holding until L2 and releasing once the pitcher went into his motion. But as of last year, that method is yielding terrible results for me so I just dont steal anymore.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
Pro

VincesVictims's Arena

I have realized that if you take a extra step you never get a good jump. So just try stealing with the regular lead

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »