Home

Worth getting?

This is a discussion on Worth getting? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Worth getting?

So I have been mostly a lurker here for a long time and most games trend from simply amazing to what the bell were the developers thinking!?

Just a simple question, if I really enjoyed 18 is this game worthy of $60 today? I read about the framerate issues and am mostly an offline franchise player.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Worth getting?

I really enjoyed '18 and I'm enjoying '19 even more. The changes to fielding are the biggest improvement in my opinion. The changes to hitting and pitching, and the presentation improvements, also help '19 stand above '18 in my opinion.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemamba24xx
So I have been mostly a lurker here for a long time and most games trend from simply amazing to what the bell were the developers thinking!?

Just a simple question, if I really enjoyed 18 is this game worthy of $60 today? I read about the framerate issues and am mostly an offline franchise player.

Thanks.

I held off for a while, and I've only tinkered a bit with it so far, but I don't regret buying it. The fielding seems nice, Ridin's roster is outstanding, and overall it just seems slightly more realistic.

I'm happy I got it, but was also content to keep playing 18 up until now.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
Just started!

Nothing at all against OP but I hate these posts. Old saying goes reviews are like *******s. Reviews are basically useless, especially a game like this. You'll never know unless you try. I could go into 30 reasons why you should. But ultimately you'll decide on a post that you like or don't like. That being said this is probably the 2nd best game they made.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemamba24xx
Just a simple question, if I really enjoyed 18 is this game worthy of $60 today? I read about the framerate issues and am mostly an offline franchise player
In my opinion if you still enjoy '18, '19 is not worth $60. That's not a knock on 19, because it is essentially the same game with a new paint job. Kind of like getting a new paint job on your car, but the bill is the same amount of $ as buying a new car.. ok that's an exaggeration but you can see my point.

The only bad thing about the paint job is it comes with its own sets of problems, according to many people. Bad fps, stops and stutters, pitchers playing in the field bug, etc. And many of the old flaws are still there. So i guess its kind of like going to a bad body shop. The car looks pretty much the same, looks a little better than it did in some areas, but has some scratches and splotches. But this body shop has no guarantee that they will eventually patch them, or when they will.

I know that's over the top but its kinda true. I would recommend renting it for a few days and seeing if it is worth it for you. Just don't get caught up in the newness of it because 'new' wears off. After some time, i still prefer 18 over 19, even without any bugs. But you may fall in love with 19. So i would rent it..can't go wrong with a test drive!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
In my opinion if you still enjoy '18, '19 is not worth $60. That's not a knock on 19, because it is essentially the same game with a new paint job. Kind of like getting a new paint job on your car, but the bill is the same amount of $ as buying a new car.. ok that's an exaggeration but you can see my point.

The only bad thing about the paint job is it comes with its own sets of problems, according to many people. Bad fps, stops and stutters, pitchers playing in the field bug, etc. And many of the old flaws are still there. So i guess its kind of like going to a bad body shop. The car looks pretty much the same, looks a little better than it did in some areas, but has some scratches and splotches. But this body shop has no guarantee that they will eventually patch them, or when they will.

I know that's over the top but its kinda true. I would recommend renting it for a few days and seeing if it is worth it for you. Just don't get caught up in the newness of it because 'new' wears off. After some time, i still prefer 18 over 19, even without any bugs. But you may fall in love with 19. So i would rent it..can't go wrong with a test drive!
Thanks for spending the time to give a thoughtful analysis. Leaning towards staying on 18. Anyone know of there's an updated roster?

Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo1968
Nothing at all against OP but I hate these posts. Old saying goes reviews are like *******s. Reviews are basically useless, especially a game like this. You'll never know unless you try. I could go into 30 reasons why you should. But ultimately you'll decide on a post that you like or don't like. That being said this is probably the 2nd best game they made.
I read the reviews but people giving insight about framerate issues is pretty helpful. I like reading about people's experiences with the game here because they know the game and are hypersensitive/critical. I also realize that's a double edged sword.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey

Still torn LoL. I'll make a decision today. Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »