Home

Commentary is so frustrating.

This is a discussion on Commentary is so frustrating. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Commentary is so frustrating.

I love just about everything about the game but...

I just hit a walk-off single in the 18th inning of a game 7 in the World Series and it was like I just won a random game on a Sunday afternoon in July.

I know it's probably hard to implement something special for that moment but it just takes away so much from the game. It's really my only gripe about the show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Commentary is so frustrating.

Honestly, audio in general is something not a ton of people seem to give a piss about. I’m the type who plays in the dark with headphones on, but I seem to be the exception. Most game reviews don’t even mention sound. This game still hasn’t expanded its ambient audio to include things like passing airplanes and helicopters in a decade. The crowd in this game, while improved, is dumb as a box of rocks 70% of the time. I just mentioned in another thread, during rain games, at times it thunders between every. single. pitch. I could go on and on, especially if I start talking about other games, like how in NHL you can only hear like one or maybe two guys skating at any given time despite there obviously being ten guys out there. Bottom line from my perspective is: get in line, hardly anyone cares about audio, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I think this area of the game has to be the most difficult to pull off well. Especially for us franchise guys, who play every game. Over the course of a 162 game season it’s obvious commentary is going to get pretty repetitive. I don’t know what the solution is, really.

The one thing I’d love to see though is contextual based commentary that covers more of what’s going on with the hotter and team over the past month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 05-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

I listen to music or audiobooks when I play sports games, but from time to time I do listen to commentary. It's the same recycled stuff from the Show '18. You are better off doing what me and others do. Just listen to something while you play. The commentary shouldn't affect your gaming experience.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
Rookie

Re: Commentary is so frustrating

The one thing I've done is I don't do commentary for any games except the ones where I'm playing on mlb network. This keeps it a bit more fresh though you will still hear things from previous years.

The other games non-MLB Network broadcast. I'll only have Play-by-Play turning off the color guys. Or I will have no commentary at all and just have the in-game crowd and on-field sounds. It's actually quite interesting when you have no commentary.

Another thing is I pull down the crowd noise to about a 3 for those mid-summer games and you know in real life it would be a light crowd. Then I raise up the crowd sound to about an 7 for bigger games closer to play-offs or against rivals. And at max 10 for playoffs only. I'll max out 10 if it's a Sunday Night 8 pm game against my biggest rival or if it's a close race for the division.

Just some thoughts to change it up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

The commentary is very grating in this game. They talk just to talk and I think that is the most frustrating aspect of it.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
Rookie

I just turn it off. It's like trying to play with a crack head sitting next to you
Old 05-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

A couple days ago I won the World Series by striking out the final batter looking. But I don’t actually know how close the pitch was (I thought it was a ball) because I got zero celebration or postgame video. Literally the ball crossed the plate and it immediately went to the postgame menu. I get more celebration when I win a random minor league game in May than I did for winning the World Series.

I generally don’t get too upset about a game’s flaws, but that one kinda pissed me off. I don’t even care about audio. How hard is it to just give me a 45-second video of my guys celebrating on the field?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »