Home

Secondary position ratings

This is a discussion on Secondary position ratings within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
Rookie

ptbnl's Arena

OVR: 3
Secondary position ratings

Really happy they gave secondary positions a penalty for players this year, I think that's a great addition.

But I'd love to see them take it a step farther in the future.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I remember MLB 2K used to have something similar, but instead, your secondary (or tertiary, quaternary, etc...) positions would have different percentages, depending on how familiar the player is with the additional positions.

For example, a player like Freddie Freeman has mostly been a 1B in his MLB career. So he gets 100% at 1B. The rest of the defensive positions he could be rated at 0% (or give him an "athlete assumption" and put him at 10% for the rest, 0% at C, or whatever).

But in 2017 he also played some 3B, so he could get a boost there, maybe 15%, or 80%, whatever makes sense for his ability there. The point is, he's familiar with it, but probably not as proficient as at 1B.

Now take a guy who is more of a utility player, a defensively superior one even. The guy could be a primary 2B, but also play SS, 3B and maybe LF. He gets 100% at 2B, 90% at SS, 90% at 3B and 70% in LF.

The idea is that he's not penalized equally for his secondary positions. He might be better at one secondary than another. Hell, one secondary might even be as good as his primary.

It would eliminate (or at least change) some of the arguments about players and their primary vs. secondary positions, but also make it more realistic, I think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Secondary position ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbnl
Really happy they gave secondary positions a penalty for players this year, I think that's a great addition.

But I'd love to see them take it a step farther in the future.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I remember MLB 2K used to have something similar, but instead, your secondary (or tertiary, quaternary, etc...) positions would have different percentages, depending on how familiar the player is with the additional positions.

For example, a player like Freddie Freeman has mostly been a 1B in his MLB career. So he gets 100% at 1B. The rest of the defensive positions he could be rated at 0% (or give him an "athlete assumption" and put him at 10% for the rest, 0% at C, or whatever).

But in 2017 he also played some 3B, so he could get a boost there, maybe 15%, or 80%, whatever makes sense for his ability there. The point is, he's familiar with it, but probably not as proficient as at 1B.

Now take a guy who is more of a utility player, a defensively superior one even. The guy could be a primary 2B, but also play SS, 3B and maybe LF. He gets 100% at 2B, 90% at SS, 90% at 3B and 70% in LF.

The idea is that he's not penalized equally for his secondary positions. He might be better at one secondary than another. Hell, one secondary might even be as good as his primary.

It would eliminate (or at least change) some of the arguments about players and their primary vs. secondary positions, but also make it more realistic, I think.
I think Out of the Park Baseball has something like this, they have position ratings for multiple positions.

I would absolutely love for this to happen, I have wanted it to happen for years.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Rookie

ptbnl's Arena

Thanks for the response. I've never played OotP, but I've heard good things.

I hated the way The Show used to handle secondary positions where a guy would be just as good at them as he is at his primary, so I love that they take a hit now.

But I still think it should be tweaked as some guys aren't equally bad at their secondaries, especially people who have multiple secondaries.

I think it's also important to take into account how similar the positions are (2B and SS vs. LF and 1B, etc). Plus, a primary shortstop should be pretty decent at other infield positions (maybe even CF) but a 3B or catcher wouldn't be able to make the transition to other positions as well.

I also still think you could keep the "out of position" penalty.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I think I've said it before but I cant imagine why Ozzie Smith should take a fielding rating drop if I put him at second base. or Andrelton Simmons for that matter

A Work in Progress
Old 05-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I think I've said it before but I cant imagine why Ozzie Smith should take a fielding rating drop if I put him at second base. or Andrelton Simmons for that matter
I thought Russell said several years ago that this actually does not happen. If I remember his reply correctly, he said certain exceptions are hard-coded in, like moving a shortstop to 2B, or moving a center fielder to LF.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
Rookie

ptbnl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I thought Russell said several years ago that this actually does not happen. If I remember his reply correctly, he said certain exceptions are hard-coded in, like moving a shortstop to 2B, or moving a center fielder to LF.
But that was before this new system, yes? They introduced the secondary position penalty system this year.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0

The Show has had secondary position penalties for as long as I can remember. They may have tweaked it recently.

Regarding your suggestion that would probably require more developer time than they can spend on already limited franchise resources.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:19 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbnl
But that was before this new system, yes? They introduced the secondary position penalty system this year.
I’m also positive they said this year that certain positions they less of a penalty in the new system than others. A shortstop doesn’t take as much of a penalty when playing out of position because it’s assumed that they’re a better overall athlete/defender and can handle the move.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »