Home

Sony and Microsoft teaming up

This is a discussion on Sony and Microsoft teaming up within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #1
Rookie

GettngSteezy's Arena

OVR: 0
Sony and Microsoft teaming up

Could this mean that the show is finally coming to Xbox? Or could it be something else let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Sony and Microsoft teaming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettngSteezy
Could this mean that the show is finally coming to Xbox? Or could it be something else let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
No.

You will not see exclusives on the other console.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
Pro

JHodges57's Arena

It's not good news whenever Microsoft gets involved with anything.

I can't tell you how many times I've bought products from Microsoft that seemed incompatible with Windows.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

This is just a team up of one division of the two companies, it only involves streaming games, and it was likely made in order to compete with Google Stadia. If the Show comes to Xbox, it will only be in streaming form, and that will be awful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
Rookie

Vercingetirex's Arena

As much as I would love to have this game come to the PC. It won't happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
Rookie

Not to throw cold water on folks excitement, but I don't see any chance that "The Show" or any other PlayStation exclusive would come to the Xbox or the PC. And vice versa. I saw so many people really freaked out about this announcement and rushed to put up clickbait headlines on Youtube videos without actually considering what this partnership actually is.

This is a Sony Corp and Microsoft Corp partnership. In other words, it's not an Xbox/PlayStation partnership. Clearly Sony are renewing their hosting agreements for their cloud based services (PS Now, etc) and have chosen Microsoft Azure as their new provider. I'd be willing to bet Sony also received bids from Google, Amazon and other premier cloud hosting providers. Coming from someone who works around these type of deals nearly daily, that's generally how these things play out. I have no inside info on this particular deal. I'm speculating here, but that's how this announcement reads to me. I've seen a lot of these kinds of announcements over the years in the job I have (and plenty with Microsoft as partners).

As part of their hosting deal, Sony are providing expertise to Microsoft's benefit (semiconductors, sensors, etc). Sony, for their part, get to use Azure's class leading tools to improve their streaming content offerings. This deal really has almost no visible impact to gamers. Perhaps we will eventually see benefits in the PS Now space or PS Store. But that will take time. It's not like Sony can just flip a switch and be up and running in Azure. Now a migration has to be planned and executed from one data center to another (or multiple data centers). That could take months or even years. I'm guessing this is most likely going to be an infrastructure used for PS5.

This partnership is all about the back-end...server farms, data centers, streaming capabilities, support contracts, server up/time SLAs, etc.

Last edited by badflounder; 05-18-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Even if it never amounts to anything as far as the Show crossing over to the xbox or pc, this is still better good news than bad. Because if theShow were to be multiplatform, it has to start with baby steps. You can bet there are some hardliners at Sony that are never going to allow an xbox Show. But you can bet there are some that are looking at the bigger picture(esp. in San Diego) that would love to move 3 times as many units. Problem is these types within companies tend to still be earlier in their careers. And , for the moment, less influential. But when/if their day comes, the hardliners can get on board or get run over. Every company has these type visionaries. Now if Microsoft beats Sony to the punch and gets a baseball game that can compete with the Show in a war for hearts and minds, (not RBI, at least at the moment) then the Show will not triple its numbers.IMO the Shows window of opportunity is small and closing fast. Its just a matter of time till xbox has an A title baseball game. Now at the corporate level, thats what Sony wants. But on the local level its SDS that has the most to lose. I know, "the Show will never leave Sony" but hasnt there been a couple games that were at one time exclusives, but later ported over?

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 05-18-2019 at 02:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »