Home

Diamond Dynasty and Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Diamond Dynasty and Franchise Mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Diamond Dynasty and Franchise Mode

I know this topic has been discussed at length, you know the one about how SDS puts all of their time and money into Diamond Dynasty and neglects franchise mode. There’s little doubt that it happens and it’s been like this a while as we are all well aware.

However, I’m curious as someone that has never spent one minute on Diamond Dynasty, how much more can really be added to this mode? What are the things that the mode really needs or lacks? Again, I know very little about it so I’m asking because ultimately it would seem like SDS would get to a point where the mode is fleshed out enough that they have to ask themselves, “what should we do now.”

And my hope, obviously, is that they’d put time and money into the long-neglected franchise mode. Do you all feel like Diamond Dynasty requires the bulk of development time? I know many of us on here are franchise guys and it just seems to me that Diamond Dynasty is simply online games, card collecting and tournaments. Maybe there’s more to it than I understand but after years and years of spending most of the manpower on this mode I would think SDS would eventually have the mode in a state where they can shift their focus to other modes.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Diamond Dynasty and Franchise Mode

I dont think its that DD is lacking anything. I think Sony keeps changing things so as to keep the cow fresh , so to speak. and the limit of what new things can be added are only limited by a developers imagination

A Work in Progress
Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I dont think its that DD is lacking anything. I think Sony keeps changing things so as to keep the cow fresh , so to speak. and the limit of what new things can be added are only limited by a developers imagination

So at what point will they actually put real, legitimate development time into other modes?

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 05-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

As has been said before and I'll repeat it but it will fall on deaf ears because its not what people want to hear and it goes against the conspiracy theory that is wildly popular on the forums.

SDS hasn't decided to neglect franchise mode in favor of Diamond Dynasty. They aren't sacrificing one for the other. The reason(s) franchise mode isn't seeing vast improvements is due to:

1) Resources
2) Memory
3) Old Code

I know that people will accuse them of lying and/or me defending the game/developers, but those are the reasons straight from the developers.

And you guys do realize that removing the old financial system and replacing it with real value contracts was a big under taking correct? It wasn't a simple process.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
As has been said before and I'll repeat it but it will fall on deaf ears because its not what people want to hear and it goes against the conspiracy theory that is wildly popular on the forums.

SDS hasn't decided to neglect franchise mode in favor of Diamond Dynasty. They aren't sacrificing one for the other. The reason(s) franchise mode isn't seeing vast improvements is due to:

1) Resources
2) Memory
3) Old Code

I know that people will accuse them of lying and/or me defending the game/developers, but those are the reasons straight from the developers.

And you guys do realize that removing the old financial system and replacing it with real value contracts was a big under taking correct? It wasn't a simple process.
another thing been said before is modes are on, what, a 3 year cycle for major upgrades. dont know if thats still the case going forward but if true, Show 20 could bring significant changes to franchise FBOW then again, like you say about memory and old code, it might be beneficial for Sony to wait for the PS5 to start a overhaul. regardless, it is what it is

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I know this topic has been discussed at length, you know the one about how SDS puts all of their time and money into Diamond Dynasty and neglects franchise mode. There’s little doubt that it happens and it’s been like this a while as we are all well aware.

However, I’m curious as someone that has never spent one minute on Diamond Dynasty, how much more can really be added to this mode? What are the things that the mode really needs or lacks? Again, I know very little about it so I’m asking because ultimately it would seem like SDS would get to a point where the mode is fleshed out enough that they have to ask themselves, “what should we do now.”

And my hope, obviously, is that they’d put time and money into the long-neglected franchise mode. Do you all feel like Diamond Dynasty requires the bulk of development time? I know many of us on here are franchise guys and it just seems to me that Diamond Dynasty is simply online games, card collecting and tournaments. Maybe there’s more to it than I understand but after years and years of spending most of the manpower on this mode I would think SDS would eventually have the mode in a state where they can shift their focus to other modes.

I love diamond dynasty. I play that mode more than any other... Although I will say March to October got me pretty hooked.
I love trying to build a team from scratch, and bringing it to the field... This year went a lot different than previous years as I've gotten a ton of diamond players, where as I usually only get 2 maybe 3 for a year. But they did make it a bit simpler to accrue them... And I can't say it's disappointing.

I usually end up playing franchise around September... When ice exhausted myself on DD... But I'm 300 games in (some conquest, some online, battle royal, events). And with the new addition of the map layouts this year (which I really hope they continue to do) in conquest I'm playing more conquest.

I can't speak to what falters in franchise mode. Like I said, I haven't played it at all yet this year, and only sparingly in years past. I used to love playing franchise mode... But the time investment into it is too much. I think it's one of the reasons I gravitated towards March to October... It's quick, and after you complete the season, you can turn it into a franchise mode if you'd like to.

I'd like to see 2 things happen with DD .. one is that you can choose a team to replay with your DD squad, and play franchise like that... I think that'd be interesting.

I'd also like to see them add a card "trading" element. One with oversight so trades aren't completely lopsided. I know there's a community market, but not everyone has the means, or want, to spend money one in game currency. This way you could improve your team without having to spend money to do so.

When the game came out, there were 3 different versions... The regular, MVP edition, and digital deluxe edition. ($60, $70, $100). The big difference between these different versions was diamond dynasty. I myself got the digital deluxe edition, and spent the hundred bucks. But to me, it's worth it. I got a guaranteed diamond card, 20 or so packs of cards, and about 30k in stubs. I've also spent maybe Another 100 since I bought it on stubs so I could buy more packs. (I only bought 2 diamond players outright, Torii Hunter, Cody Bellinger and Ronald Acuna Jr.... And those players were less than 15,000 stubs.). I've accrued a ton of talent in packs this year...

Honestly, if I were you, I'd put some time into playing diamond dynasty. All sports games have their own version of a card collection game... Madden and FIFA have ultimate team, 2k has My Team, I forget if NHL did it this year as well... I'm not sure. Been a while since I played it.

But out of the major sports, SDS pulls it off the best. Hands down. It beings out the nostalgia in me collecting cards when I was a kid... It's simple and straight forward (unlike some where they become more and more convoluted).

I do think it's a great way to show baseballs past and present to a younger generation.

One thing I def think is lacking in The Show, is the negro leagues. With all the old time players they've got in the game, you'd think they'd include guys like Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, and even a younger Jackie Robinson.

I think being able to play through a season in the negro league would be pretty cool (as far as what those men represented, not that they were excluded). I think that'd be a huge thing for SDS to do. Sure there's a few guys in DD from that era of players... But it is a part of the game for better or worse... They should embrace it, and show just how good those players were.

We were talking about DD and franchise... Got a little bit off topic... Since you said you really haven't played the mode, give it a real shot, and see if you enjoy it. I'd say to play conquest to try to build up your team some from the one you'll have initially. Cause going online with a low rated team is just like looking for an *** kicking.

Whatever you decide, please post it here... I'd like to know how it goes.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

IMO, the scope of this discussion should also include RTTS.

SDS has massively overhauled the mode the last two years; adding a ton of stuff that would also be well-suited for franchise. They've focused a lot of attention on RTTS that could otherwise have been spent on franchise. RTTS is the most popular game mode, I get that, but it is still a bit frustrating that they have gotten player archetypes, personality traits, training regimens, player interactions, boss battles, etc. added with none of those items being crossed-over into franchise.

DD gets singled-out by people a disproportionate percentage of the time (again IMO). I get that it is the most micro-transaction heavy mode (when compared to franchise and RTTS), but the reality is the core, fundamental gameplay modes available in DD remain untouched - you have conquest and play vs CPU for offline and you have Events, Ranked Seasons, and Battle Royale for online. That's it. Everything else is UI overhauls and new cards. They added Moments this year which is not directly a DD mode aside from a handful of missions that actually use one's DD team (though all of them do have rewards tied to DD - same as franchise). They certainly spend time on it, I'm not saying they don't....but DD needs way more than content updates, especially for offline DD players. They need to add some sort of seasonal format and more in-depth offline challenges to really flesh-out the mode; but have sadly neglected adding them in favor of focusing on online play.

I am hoping that 2020 is the year that they redistribute SOME resources away from RTTS and use them to add some new stuff to Franchise and new offline-centric DD modes.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

1) Resources
2) Memory
3) Old Code

While I agree those are the limitations, franchise mode has not had a cycle with the programmers focusing on it in quite some time.

Also, I have not seen any change to contract values in free agency or arbitration so the real contracts was just a spreadsheet input.

About 3 or 4 years ago they were going to do real contracts and was squashed. We asked to at least allow us to edit them.

I agree that the game is fabulous. I also love the developers. Many of the decisions are based on telemetry and what modes are popular.

Diamond dynasty took off. I remember being at the studios one year and they rewrote online. We tried to get some of the changes into offline e but the code was done so they were seperate. At the time online franchise recieved the major time.

When and if they focus on franchise there can and will be huge movement.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »