Home

Old 05-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
No knowledge of racing games

Ok, watching the Monaco GP today. I have to admit, it’s made me catch a bit of a racing game bug.

My older brother and I used to play the heck out of the Ayrton Senna GP game on the Genesis. He was really into Formula 1 back then so we played a lot of racing games. I used to play the EA Nascar game about ten years ago, I still have my steering wheel and pedals for the 360 (that probably don’t work on PC).

So, a couple of questions for those of you that know the history of racing games...
1. I am a sort of jack of all trades (master of a few, mind you) but one thing I have absolutely never ever been into or known anything about is cars. I dig racing though. But car engineering, tech, parts, etc, zero knowledge. Ok, maybe a hair above zero. My brain refuses to understand manual shift in cars. Is playing a good racing video game on automatic and only steering the equivalent to racing game enthusiasts of someone who says they wanna play a baseball game by only pressing ‘swing’ or playing a basketball game where you only press ‘shoot’ and everything else is automatic? Basically, is the beauty of racing and of a good racing game tarnished by someone who leaves everything on automatic?
2. If there were a prime Formula 1 game, would it be the recent Codemasters game? Or like with NHL are the best games 10 years old? I've heard about rfactor and GTR2 but don't know anything about them. But I would have to say that Formula 1 is the extent of my interest in racing. (That being said, my absolute dream game would let you drive 1920s-40s cars on city streets, but I doubt that exists )
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: No knowledge of racing games

1. As someone who played racing games on automatic for a good part of the last decade, I recently made the switch to manual. It's definitely a learning curve but also feels more rewarding to hit those perfect shifts and gradually become a better driver. But it's a personal preference for sure. People online will be using it, so if you're not comfortable driving manual I wouldn't be ashamed of driving automatic. It's a video game after all, have fun with it

2. The recent F1 games have definitely been the best to date for F1 driving. Deep career mode, excellent online, and each iteration seems to one up the last one in ways you wouldn't even really think possible. New one is coming out soon but F1 2018 is still a fantastic game I couldn't recommend more.

Hope this helps you out
Old 05-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakywwe
Hope this helps you out
It did, thanks. But I don't ever play any game online so I don't have to worry about that.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 0

I play the F1 games by codemasters f1 2019 comes out I believe June 28th and I cant wait , I play on automatic gear shift but braking and stuff like traction control and others I usually adjust to my liking. Also your able to adjust the level of how the AI plays so you can suit that so the game is more realistic to your ability. I'm 53 and it's not the only game I play so I adjust the game to fit it to my ability to get competitive racing . I also had Senna game for Genisis ,he was my favorite driver. Sorry for the long reply hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »