Home

Weight Classes

This is a discussion on Weight Classes within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Weight Classes

I don't know how to really put this other than to say....

Weight classes should feel much more different than they do now in terms of knockouts and damage.

Heavyweight should be a one hitter quitter type division.

In the lighter weight classes, a guy like John Lineker should really stand out. It should be next to impossible to knock someone out with Dominick Cruz. Or Frankie Edgar.

Knockout power and who has it and who doesn't should really get examined.

I feel like it should very greatly from fighter to fighter, weight class to weight class. While many stats and perks should be varying degrees of grey this one should be black and white.

If you fight with a guy that you know cant be counted on to knock someone out, it would fundamentally change how you play, which would lead to a diversity of fights, styles and I think a better overall experience.

Thoughts? How do we flesh this out?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheRizzzle; 05-29-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Weight Classes

Here's another thought.

Let's say there was a power/technique modifier. It would be one or the other depending on the fighter. Almost like a move.

So for Ngannou R1 and triangle would be a power hook. Looks like a hook, but has extra juice on it. Better chance of knocking someone out, almost a sure thing with one punch given the right circumstance (guy moving forward, completely exposed kind of thing).

But for Yair Rodriguez it's a technique modifier. R1 and triangle throws a spinning elbow. His power remains the same as always.

The balance would come from the stamina drain. If someone has a power move instead of a technique move, yes they have a significant increase in their knockout power, but the stamina drain would be enormous. So if you get reckless, you could be completely gassed within seconds.

Versus a technique modifier would have a lot less probability of knocking someone out, but it's more accurate and doesn't cost much in stamina. So you could throw it all fight long with less of a worry about gassing, but you'd be at a disadvantage because you know you aren't going to be able to end things with one or two big strikes.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
MVP

I like the concept, I'm just not sure if they will be able to find enough room on the controller for everything. Not that the idea shouldn't be considered, that's the kind of thing I want most from the game - diversity and realism. Another thing - it shouldn't be impossible to knock people out with a Cruz - just very unlikely.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
I like the concept, I'm just not sure if they will be able to find enough room on the controller for everything. Not that the idea shouldn't be considered, that's the kind of thing I want most from the game - diversity and realism. Another thing - it shouldn't be impossible to knock people out with a Cruz - just very unlikely.
That's what I mean in regards to Cruz. Not impossible, but it should be such a low probability it feels special.

A JDS-Ngannou fight is tense throughout because the knockout could come from one punch. The Cruz knockout of Mizugaki and knockdown of Faber were fun because they were so unexpected.

Making these things more realistic and providing the appropriate variance would be something I'm into.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
Rookie

MysticJack541's Arena

I couldn't agree more with this. I really hope we get a power modifier for EA UFC 4. I think rocks/knockdowns occur way to frequently in across the board in EA UFC 3, I would rather have rocks/knockdowns occur much less, but when they do happen a TKO/KO is very likely to happen especially at LHW/HW.

I think back to round 1 of Stipe VS Ngannou, Francis attempted 65 strikes in round 1, landed 18. Stipe had great head movement and was able to avoid those nuclear infused fists pretty well and had Francis visibly exhausted by the end of the round, but my God you could tell if one of those shots had landed it would have probably flattened Stipe.
Of course weight classes and and certain fighters should also be taken into consideration. For example if I did a match up between Frankie Edgar and Renato Moicano the odds of a KO/TKO should be very low, hell the odds of getting a rock should also be low, it would be a battle of who can be the most effective and land at a higher clip. The only way a KO/TKO should happen in that match up should be if one player is way better then the other and just beats on them like a punching bag.

Another example would be Frankie VS Jeremy Stephens, Jeremy is one of those guys who has KO power that stands out for the FW division. In the real fight when Jeremy landed compared to when Frankie landed you could clearly tell the difference in impact, Frankie had to stick and move, and pick his shots, and use his wrestling to win. However in EA UFC 3 I could easily pick Frankie and slug it out with Jeremy in the middle of the cage and feel completely safe, and have a high chance of getting a KO myself, it shouldn't be that way.

TLDR I feel like a more realistic stamina system would lead to a more realistic output, coupled with a more realistic damage system could lead to a much more sim MMA experience and allow fighters to be used how they fight in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
MVP

You know, in regards to power, it really should be it's own meter like stamina.

The heaviest hitters start with a full bar indicating they have maximum power. Guys like Cruz maybe start at 25%.

But guys like Ngannou would have their power stamina go down rapidly and once it's gone it's basically impossible to get a knockout.

But a guy like Cruz will see his go down slower so even though he starts at a lower probability of knockout, he keeps whatever ability he has for longer throughout the fight.

If your power bar is depleted, it's not impossible to get knockout, but you'd basically have to have great timing and catch somebody at the right moment.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizzzle
You know, in regards to power, it really should be it's own meter like stamina.

The heaviest hitters start with a full bar indicating they have maximum power. Guys like Cruz maybe start at 25%.

But guys like Ngannou would have their power stamina go down rapidly and once it's gone it's basically impossible to get a knockout.

But a guy like Cruz will see his go down slower so even though he starts at a lower probability of knockout, he keeps whatever ability he has for longer throughout the fight.

If your power bar is depleted, it's not impossible to get knockout, but you'd basically have to have great timing and catch somebody at the right moment.

I kinda agree with this, however, power already is linked to stamina. All you're really asking for is for UI additions to see the power. Obviously, it doesn't work great as it is now, and the difference in power and stamina between fighters and between weight classes is nowhere near what it should be, but we already do have a variation of what you're suggesting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »