Home

You Guys Never Mentioned That Defensive Hot Route Button

This is a discussion on You Guys Never Mentioned That Defensive Hot Route Button within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0

On PS3, I knew the square button brings up a defensive hot route menu. The thing is I never knew it worked that good. I have more sacks than ever before by blitzing. When I change to man I stop the other team a lot. Now, from you all, please tell this college football X’s and O’s illiterate guy what it all means. Like, if I originally pick nickel cover 2 then what does switching it to Man mean and do? Or if I call cover 3 or whatever and switch to Man? If I pick blitz on the hot route menu, does everyone blitz? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
Rookie

The Red Scourge's Arena

Re: You Guys Never Mentioned That Defensive Hot Route Button

I don’t know exactly what your question is. If I came out Nickel Cover 2, but their TE had been beating me up the seam on a couple plays, I’d switch to man. Cover 2 doesn’t defend seam routes well. If I call a play, I’ll change it at the line based on the offensive formation/alignment. Sometimes I bring in an extra CB, like Dime against a 3 WR, 1 TE look. My goal is to get the corner covering the TE, but sometimes if it’s Trips, the game doesn’t assign it right and I could end up with my MLB on a WR. Then I audible to another play. It sound like you’re referring to defensive audibles. Defensive hot routes only change 1 player’s assignment at a time. Just like hot routing a receiver on offense.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Pro

Yeah I might have phrased it wrong. Well, I never used it before. With my new Florida State dynasty (previously 4-8), I thought I would try some different stuff. So, I new that button was there. I used to hardly ever get sacks and picks. Now, I just use the square button and hit blitz on third and long or other surprising times. I hit square and then hit man every now and then and the opposing team's runs are stopped pretty good. I am using a Multi defense with some 3-4, some 4-4, some 3-3-5. Stuff like that. I was just curious.

However, these changes you mention when reading defenses is tough because some run no huddle and I have no time to make changes.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
Rookie

The Red Scourge's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
Yeah I might have phrased it wrong. Well, I never used it before. With my new Florida State dynasty (previously 4-8), I thought I would try some different stuff. So, I new that button was there. I used to hardly ever get sacks and picks. Now, I just use the square button and hit blitz on third and long or other surprising times. I hit square and then hit man every now and then and the opposing team's runs are stopped pretty good. I am using a Multi defense with some 3-4, some 4-4, some 3-3-5. Stuff like that. I was just curious.

However, these changes you mention when reading defenses is tough because some run no huddle and I have no time to make changes.

I run a 4-2-5 base. I can usually run it against a anything from Singleback, I Form, up to 3 and 4 WR sets. That way, I’m not struggling to get the right DBs on the field for no huddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Rookie

The Red Scourge's Arena

You get better at reading offensive cues the more you do it. There are certain ones the game doesn’t always mimic though. In football, you’d usually run to the strong side of the formation. In a Trips WR look, in some systems you’re looking to isolate a defender on the 1 WR side and throw there. The game doesn’t always work that way though.

Certain games you play you’ll notice cues to what the play might be based on what they’ve run previously that game. You might notice from a certain formation they’re killing you with FL (flanker) screens. After they get you a few times, you’ll look for a play to counter that.

Last edited by The Red Scourge; 05-31-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2019, 11:58 PM   #6
Pro

I've always struggled using hot routes on defense. I typically start by controlling a lineman, and by the time I know any hot route I'd want to run the offense is snapping the ball. Any suggestions on how to better utilize hot routes on defense?
Old 06-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
Rookie

The Red Scourge's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpklub
I've always struggled using hot routes on defense. I typically start by controlling a lineman, and by the time I know any hot route I'd want to run the offense is snapping the ball. Any suggestions on how to better utilize hot routes on defense?

I probably use defensive hot routes only 5-10 times a game. It’s a situational thing. Those standard plays are good plays. If I’m playing a QB that isn’t going to run, if I come out Quarters Cover 2 man, I’ll hot route the MLB to either blitz or zone cover middle of the field because he’s set as a QB spy. The way I see it, if I’m getting too crazy moving players all over the place, it’s going to bite me. The tried and true stalwart defensive plays are that for a reason. I don’t think I can modify say, Cover 3, in the time before the snap to be better than it was already. I don’t think I’ve ever messed with the man coverage assignments. I think they’re in 14. You can do it in 06. You could double man cover a WR, there aren’t any stock double cover plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

It's typically the same as the offensive hot audible like short pass, long pass, pa pass, run options. It just switched the most basic man, cover 2, cover3 or blitz in that formation. I do admit using those does seem to work better than the okay you call for some reason the offensive computer doesn't pick up on it. So if you knowingly want to run man... then pick any zone play and switch to man coverage. Vice versa with the others. The blitz works the best using the defensive quick audible. You call a cover 4 and quick audible to a blitz after breaking the huddle the blitz works a lot more often cause the computer in my mind is set for you running a cover 4 still

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »