Home

Draft Studs

This is a discussion on Draft Studs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Draft Studs

There was a thread called "Draft Gems/Freaks/Studs. What are yours?" that was last updated in 2016.

I was hoping we could bring it back? Update it?

It seems I didn't really have a lot of studs in the draft until recent versions. This year's draft (yesterday) I got the second pick and took SS Mora from Cuba 22-72-96. He is the first position player I've ever drafted that could legit be ready to play next season without any minors.

Anyway, I'd love to see some of yours!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2019, 05:13 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Draft Studs

I have a franchise that I run cpu v. cpu for when I am working from home and have it running in the background while I am working on my laptop. It's the Orioles and I drafted a catcher that's only a C potential, but all his hitting attributes are high 70's and I have him DHing. He's killing it, hitting close to 300 and leading the team in homers and RBI's. I almost didn't draft him.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Rookie

On The Show 15 I was trying to decide between a LHSP or an OF in the 7th round. It was literally the last pick of the draft. Both were 0% accuracy. I took a flyer on the pitcher and he turned out to be a 99 potential. After two years in the minors he was brought up and dominated for 5 years in the majors for me. I think he was 20-61-99-A when drafted and despite his awesome stats he never really got above 82 for me. I stopped the franchise after back to back World Series but he was one of my favorite picks ever.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Rookie

CHIBHAWKSRULE's Arena

Gotta say my biggest stud in the draft was a 5th round pick in the 2018 season in my White Sox franchise. He was a 21 Year old Left handed SP by the name of Omar Salgado was a 60 Overall and 96 Potential when drafted...spent 2 seasons in the minors before he made debut and in his first 2 seasons in majors he had a 1.86 and 1.88 ERA respectively.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:55 AM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Gem: Ray Spahn. Literally the worst combination of rating and potential I've ever signed out of the draft. Currently my AA closer in his first year in my system and looking good.

Freak: not sure I've drafted any real freaks, but I do have a very promising knuckleballer in my system. That was a trade though.

Stud: 2014 first rounder Jose Lozano. I was really shocked when he made it to me in the draft. Sure he was only rated at 38, but he had a 99 potential. Fast forward to my current year, 2020, and he's the best SP in my system, currently rated 98. His best tool is his control. He relies heavily on a stellar 2SFB, but has a decent pitchset to support it. Oh yeah, and he's an absolute workhorse. He leads the majors in innings pitched by a fair margin.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Drafted #11 overall- I forget his name (not home right now and will likely rename him Ken Griffey III, or maybe after a former Jays great, but with Griffey's swing), but he's an 18 year old LF. 99 potential. He's something like 5'10'' and 190 lbs.

From what I remember, his scouting profile looked like this-

Currently: 70 batting, 40 power, 70 fielding, 60 speed.
Future: 80 batting, 60 power (50 vs. LHP), 70 fielding, 60 speed.

Given that I'm the Jays and our outfield is garbage, this was a huge pick! The top of my lineup with Bo-Vlad-KGIII will be dangerous!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »