Home

"Reaction Time" not shown on roster edit screen

This is a discussion on "Reaction Time" not shown on roster edit screen within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

OVR: 0
"Reaction Time" not shown on roster edit screen

So I was interested in mass editing the reaction time attributes but it doesn't seem to be included in the huge roster edit screen. Hope devs can include this in 2K20. I just wanted to make league wide edits because I feel like players are in constant movement on defense and I'd like to see if lowering their reaction times will give off the appearance of their momentum "freezing" them, I feel like each commitment to movement should be exactly that, a commitment. So when they decide to change directions I'd like the reaction time to be slower. It's too much work going into each individual players menu and changing it. Would be a good addition to future games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Re: "Reaction Time" not shown on roster edit screen

Well the CPU always has insane reaction time for some reason...idk why, but it's like this every yr. Every CPU player always reacts faster than User AI players. Would definitely be cool if we could edit all that though.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 AM   #3
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Slighlty off topic. Do u think reaction time associate with 'pump fake'? Say, I make Drummond max at 99 for reaction time and block shot (tendency) and Jokic at 0 and max at 99 respectively, when I do a up and under move at the post, will Drummond jump more frequent than Jokic? Let's just assume both have same block shot attribute maxed at 99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

Tried putting both reaction time at 99 and shot block tendency at 99. I didn't notice any biting on pumpfakes, whether defending a guard or a big. I think reaction time at 99 makes them anticipate perfectly and only use their shot blocking at the correct moment. Could use more testing though.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

2K has some many animations tied into canned animations a lot of the reaction times are irrelevant.

There should be a huge difference between reaction 50 and 80 but at times it's not.

In 2K the CPU reacts to the user's button response before the user does.

If they fix the foot planting issues and utilize physics I think reaction time would work correctly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

I played a game where I lowered all players reaction times to below 50 and I have to say it was awesome.

I also noticed Kyle Anderson, whose nickname around the league is "slow-mo" has a reaction time of 48. Given that he is a good defender, I think this proves that this particular attribute is meant to control how quickly players can move, react and change directions.

I hope we are able to globally edit this feature in 2K20. And possibly have a slider for it. Because I don't have an issue with the intelligence of the defenders, I just think their movement and reactions should be limited by their momentum, and commitment to previous movements. If you step in the wrong direction there is a "commitment cost" in real life. This attribute seems to control that.

I also noticed that before, the defenders were constantly sliding around and moving and reacting to the movement of every single chess piece. I thought that was unrealistic, now it seems like if a guy is guarding corner or a man up top, they know the right spot to stay in while giving themselves room to recover. They aren't sliding back and forth for 24 seconds and reacting to everything.

But, it was just one game, I'll test further. You guys should try it out yourselves.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:19 AM   #7
Pro

JoFri's Arena

I always thought this relate to the player's reaction time. If defensive awareness remains on the player's attribute, Patty Mills is probably low on both. Btw, this only happen at HOF. AS is fine.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:10 AM   #8
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

Thats a really bad screw up by Patty Mills. It probably does have a lot to do with his defensive consistency being in the 30s.

Here are a couple clips from my last game. Pay attention to Mark Eaton, I changed his Reaction Time down from 90+ to 40. That might be too low but I just wanted to experiment in order to see if I notice any changes to movement.

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=...FtNzXnBn3UoIwg

I should've pulled up with the floater when Smart had the opening but check out how Mark Eaton, 7'4 giant decides to drop down to contain the pick and roll, nothing new there. Teams in 2K do that all the time, but check out how he runs out on Horford after, gets beat off the dribble and resorts to fouling him out of desperation.

Normally, when reaction time attributes are high the defender is able to run out and also react quickly enough to stop the drive, especially when its a big defending another big. That clip really stood out to me so that's why i'm sharing it, I never really see that happen in the game. It felt really good to pull off and the risk/reward was perfect. You can see the challenge of a 7'4 rim protector getting caught trying to defend outside of his comfort zone.

Here's another clip:

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=...BD-5-jW665PYeo

When I usually attack a pick and roll against an elite paint protector who also happens to be a giant, I almost NEVER get this kind of space. Now for Mark Eaton, this reaction time is probably too low, he's better than this. But again I was just experimenting. It felt good man, to break free and get some space. I botched the layup but thats such a huge difference from other times when the big man can contain the elite ball handler and also get back in time to stop the roll man.

Last edited by antdoggydogg; 06-22-2019 at 03:13 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »