Home

Gm mode tips for 1st time Nhl 14'?

This is a discussion on Gm mode tips for 1st time Nhl 14'? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Gm mode tips for 1st time Nhl 14'?

So i just got 14' while looking for something else. Last time i played Nhl was 08'-09' whichever had Alexander the Great on the cover. I'm pretty familiar with dynasty in Madden and what i play most Ncaa Football 14', but still not played this newer revamped Nhl. Some questions i have initially are what sliders/settings do you guys use, if it matters I'd like to sim/watch the games by not picking a controller and let what happens over a season happen. Also what do all the different roles mean. I can guess a Snp is a great shooter, but how you do use them together on li es and balance out how many of each role. What do you use for team strategies? Im going to pick NJ for my team and would love to build the low scoring smart D like when i watched them win cups as a teen. Any tips during scouting and drafting? I have base rosters and don't plan to look for anything else, so are their any FA that would be a great pick-up for 1-? Years? Any ttades that are easy and great moves if i leave it on medium or even easy just being im a beginner player? Tha k you for reading.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Gm mode tips for 1st time Nhl 14'?

Hey man, NHL 14 is maybe my favourite sports game ever. Good get! GM mode is pretty great. To answer your questions:

SNP - Sniper (good shooter)

PLY - Playmayker (good passer)
PWF - Power Forward, Physical dude who can score
TWF - Two Way forward, Good O and D

TWD - Two way defenseman, good O and D
DFD - Defensive Defenseman
OFD - offensive defenseman

BUT - Butterfly Goalie, goes down to make saves regularly
STD - Stand-up goalie, stays on his feet to make saves usually
HYB - Hybrid, in between

ENF - Enforcer, Fighter

I like to mix SNP/PLY on my top two lines. If you can get a PWF or TWF in there on one of them, bonus.

For my third line, I like to try to get all TWF. Good defense and offense and I feel like they compliment each other.

Defense, I try to get a good balance of OFD and TWD on my first two pairs. DFD on the 3rd pair. Also, I try to have left handed people play on the left side, and right handed people play on the right side.

--

Scouting and drafting is weird on the game. I like to mix it up though, every few weeks you get a notification to set your scout in a new place. I always go forwards 6 weeks and then D 6 weeks in the same place, and then move the scout.

In the default rosters, certain guys don't really pan out the way they should. Like McDavid is on the game in the OHL and comes into the league in your 2nd draft. But he doesn't go 1st overall and doesn't have 5* potential. I always edit that, and edit a few guys in the CHL.

AS for the roster, I don't *super* remember the roster that the game ships with because I've spent so much time editing mine haha. I think you can get draft picks fairly easily through trades, though. Look for guys with high trade value who you don't want on your team, and trade them to a team that needs that position for 2-3 pieces that you might want. Draft picks and young players etc

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot em over man! Love this game, still play it all the time. I am actually working on a 2003-04 Roster for NHL 14 XBOX360 this summer, hoping to have it done by the start of the NHL season but it's a ****load of work lol
Old 06-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Banned

Re: Gm mode tips for 1st time Nhl 14'?

Thanks for the reply. I found info on roles and some different slider sets, so that seems to help. Balancing roles is not as hard as i thought. Trying to decide on team strategies is an issue. I tried to leave them as defense oriented as i could and still saw high scoring games so just put it all to full attack as thats what the players were doing anyways. Trades are and aren't a hair puller i suppose. Took me abit to figure out usi g the block but got that. I figured oit that Amateur scout and Medical staff seem to be the only worthwile stats to upgrade. Assistant coach and Pro scout seem useless as all heck. I made a Toronto GM just to learn a bit before starting a Devils file. Without a single trade and only picking up MacArthur, Briare and Jagar for Wings off FA, im at 10-5-1. Shutouys are hard to come by. Low scores are harder. Just lost back to back at Fla and vs Fla 4-2 and 9-6. The sliders i use have Goalie reaction to 6 and attributes to 0 so li es 3 and 4 should play that way not scoring goals upon goals(5 unanswered) bit overall seems like an ok game compaired to last i remember in NhL 07'-08'.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »