Home

Ratings based commentary

This is a discussion on Ratings based commentary within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2019, 12:55 AM   #1
Rookie

Kingd803's Arena

OVR: 4
Ratings based commentary

I think it would be great if a player had a extremely high rating at a specific attribute it would trigger to commentators to talk about it.

Example: if a player had a high 90’s throw power maybe they’ll gush about arm strength.

Is this already a thing? Because I feel like the only time they talk about stuff like that, it’s player specific.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 AM   #2
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ratings based commentary

I don't think it's a thing, but it should be.

Makes me think of the good old days when Collinsworth would gush about Tony Romo's release in the game (especially since we're getting varied release speeds in M20).

Could you imagine drafting a speedy WR, and they gush about his speed? Or, even better, they gush about his speed but also bring up his lack of catching ability or route running?

Last edited by ijumpedthegun; 06-24-2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Wanted to add more
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
Rookie

Sucram7777's Arena

This should be something they can pull off.
I mean, in 18 they displayed shades of it in regards to a QB's height:

If you had a 6'5+ QB, Davis and Gaudin would comment on how his height facilitates those quick passes over the Line of Scrimmage. Not during his introduction, but mid-game when he completed those passes.

I can't see how applying it to rating numbers would be different.

I would love to see it.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

I still play Madden 08 and for high accuracy QBs, it’s something like

“You can always expect him to put the pass where it needs to be, John.”

“Yeah, that’s the mark of a good quarterback—one who can make the perfect pass in tight coverage and who can lead his man into the open.”

It’s the little things, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-24-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
Rookie

dudeitszoltan's Arena

Take a cue from 2K, who does exactly this for NBA 2K. It's how they keep commentary "fresh" for created players and MyLeague's that are many years in. They'll use ratings to describe his play style and strengths, and also to make note of weaknesses (example, a player with low free throw rating gets fouled and the commentators will note "he's not the guy you want at the line.") Imagine a WR with low catch ratings lining up, and before the snap the announcers say "be careful throwing to him, he's known to have hands of stone." It would help the awfully generic commentating they have now. No more musical note references, please
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2019, 11:55 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitszoltan
Take a cue from 2K, who does exactly this for NBA 2K. It's how they keep commentary "fresh" for created players and MyLeague's that are many years in. They'll use ratings to describe his play style and strengths, and also to make note of weaknesses (example, a player with low free throw rating gets fouled and the commentators will note "he's not the guy you want at the line.") Imagine a WR with low catch ratings lining up, and before the snap the announcers say "be careful throwing to him, he's known to have hands of stone." It would help the awfully generic commentating they have now. No more musical note references, please
"This guy has been telling the coaches he wants to play some wide receiver....."
Old 06-27-2019, 03:29 AM   #7
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

There is some already. They remark on things like height, speed, age. One I hear alot is about how certain linebackers aren't know for their instincts. I think thos is tied to play recognition. But I do agree it would help make long term cfms feel more varied if thay more had specifically vague things to say about players.

Sent from my LG-AS993 using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #8
Pro

Executor's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
There is some already. They remark on things like height, speed, age. One I hear alot is about how certain linebackers aren't know for their instincts. I think thos is tied to play recognition. But I do agree it would help make long term cfms feel more varied if thay more had specifically vague things to say about players.

Sent from my LG-AS993 using Tapatalk
Sadly, the commentary linked to linebackers actually did not seem tied to PRC, or anything else, at least in M19. I've heard it used no matter which linebacker just made great play on the field... High OVR, low OVR, high PRC, low PRC, speedy backer, big hitter, bad tackler, good tackler, promising rookie... didn't matter. ️ (Oh yeah, and it was used A LOT.)
Marshall Thundering Herd
Los Angeles Dodgers

"Greater than I, lesser than I, what does it matter to my functioning?"
(Steve Perry: Shadows of the Empire)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »