Home

What are you doing for offseason player movement?

This is a discussion on What are you doing for offseason player movement? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
What are you doing for offseason player movement?

Title says is all.. What are you guys doing in MyLeague to create some offseason player movement
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: What are you doing for offseason player movement?

So there is no way to create similar events to what happen today.. I get that.. but I know some Franchise players have ideas for what they do
Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I have a control all teams MyLeague going on right now. I have this "formular" that I work off each season:

- Setup:
I control everything for all teams besides rotations, training, draft workouts and off-season roster filling and player waivers (the period after free-agency where you either sign players due to not having enough or waive some due to having too many. Also, I have an edited version of a community created roster and edited versions of real draft classes for the first five seasons and then fictional draft classes beyond that. In all my rosters and draft classes, I have a formular for player-ratings that make sure contracts work realistic down the line and that I don't end up with +80 rated overall going unsigned after free agency. That's a very important premise IMO!

- Pre All-Star weekend:
I simulate most games, but also play quite a few games to test out some of the new-look teams or to "save" a good team struggling with low chemistry. No trades or anything of the sort though.

- During All-Star weekend:
I go through every single team and do their contracts extensions, trying to make sure I only extend the players that fit the timeline, and don't doll out too long contracts. I also manually extend the coaches that I feel still fit the team in terms of playstyle and if they've done a good job.

- Post All-Star weekend:
If some teams are severely underperforming, I might try to play a few games with them. However, I often end up giving up on that lol...

- During the playoffs:
During the first few rounds, I usually only play a few games. Mostly with the teams or the players I'm most excited about. Especially if I don't count on them to go far, as I want to test them out in the playoffs before they're eliminated. Then, usually from the conference finals and onwards, I play a lot of the games. I try to be unbiased as to who I use, but usually, I end up using the team I want to win the given year the most. But I'm big on narratives during my MyLeague's, so that doesn't mean the same team will just win every year.

- The draft:
I make every single first round pick myself, but very rarely will I do any trades during the draft. Only in rare occasions where a blockbuster trade makes sense or one of the high draft picks makes sense to get traded for something substantial.
Then I go to the rookie-signings tab and go through each teams pick and let go of everyone who is rated below 70 overall.

- Personnel extensions:
I manage the teams' head coaches very carefully, make sure teams hire coaches that fits their roster, fire coaches who doesn't fit or perhaps have done a bad job, and also edit some of the coaches if a 'perimeter centric' system fx. suddenly makes more sense for the team, and if the coach's active system is something not too different from that like the 'balanced' system fx.

- Team-options and qualifying offers:
I do most of these myself, but will generally not offer that many qualifying offers, as when controlling 30+ teams, you'll use the oversight during free agency in terms of which positions a given team needs to strengthen, if I can't go in to their roster-overview and actually take a look...

- Free agency moratorium:
Here I only do re-signings. So I go through every single player on the free-agency list, and one-by-one, if it makes sense for that player to stay, I will re-sign him to his current team. This is also where I do all the renouncing of rights. I usually don't do that many cap-hold's, but obviously I'll do some.

- Free agency:
After having done all the re-signings during the moratorium, the free-agency pool are now left with teams who will most likely play on new teams next season. Older players, players who had become irrelevant on their old team, stars I've decided are 'looking for new challenges' (either due to their team underperforming, a possibility to form a superteam etc). I then take a look at the scouting table for each team, figure out who has cap-space left and how much, and then go through every single high-rated free agent (78 or above generally) to the team I decide is the best fit.

- Post free-agency:
I allow the CPU to fill out the roster and waiver players. Always only lower-rated players left at this point that will be signed to short and cheap contracts. Thus my long-term plans for the teams will be largely unaffected by the CPU's decisions.
When every team is set, and before starting the new season, I then take a look at each individual team and figure out if they have any players with trade value that could potentially be packaged in a deal. So, this is where I make all my trades. I try to always weigh the pro's and con's for all teams involved in a trade, and usually I end up going through with about 10 trades each season. And usually I have a big-name trade every season and a blockbuster trade every third season (in general, not sure exactly of course).

Of course, this formular means there won't be a lot of trades happening, and that literally no player movement happens during the season. However, I have a lot of player movement in free agency, and every trade made actually has an impact IMO. Also, it gives me full control and the ability to set up narratives and storylines which I find really exciting and oddly addictive lol... Every single team has a short-term aim and a long-term aim, and I try to have that in mind with every decision I make for them.

Here's how my current MyLeague has went in broad strokes:
2019 free agency saw a lot of big-name movement. Lebron and AD teame dup with the Lakers. KD and Conley joined the Clippers. Kawhi stayed in Toronto. Kyrie and Butler joined the Knicks. The next few years, the Clippers and the Knicks didn't manage to sing a strong enough group of role-players, which meant the Lakers dominated for a few years. Then Lebron and KD started to decline which sent the Lakers out of contention, KD joined the Spurs along with Paul George and CP3 (very old) and Kyrie joined the Sixers, who had lost Simmons to the Wizards in free agency. The Rockets also managed to surround Harden with old players like Blake, Butler and Conley. Both the Spurs and the Rockets were bad. Then I had a few years where both the Bucks, the Sixers and the Wizards won championships. Then Kawhi teamed up with AD on the Lakers and they managed to win a championship. Then Embiid, Kyrie, Beal, Kawhi etc. started to decline. Giannis joined D-Lo with the Nets where they won two championships. RJ Barrett then joined Zion in New Orleans, and they've just won the championship. Now, we have Evan Mobley and Darius Garland on the rise in Detroit, Jalen Green and Kenyon Markota on the rise in New York and Emoni Bates and Latrell Quarus on the rise in Seattle. So that's where my MyLeague has gone. As you can see, a lot of player movement, and a lot of the biggest star winning championships due to good role-players signing to the best teams in free-agency, and even some of the stars teaming up from time to time. But also, teams like the Hawks, the Kings, the Bulls and the Celtics (who haven't had legit superstars) have been perennial contenders due to just having deep rotations of solid players. I think all in all, it has went down really realistically!

Last edited by FadeawayJay; 07-06-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I always keep a backup 30-team controlled MyLeague save from the day after the Finals end in the first season. I'll also run through a lot of simulations at the end of the first season to get the exact playoff team seeding and series results.

After that, you can match every transaction that happens in the real offseason to get to a starting point for any future MyLeague runs. I'm running one MyLeague that's accurate from the day after the draft and going to start/save another this week depending on the Russ situation.

The worst part of it is simming certain games 10x to get the correct result at the end of the first season or playoffs.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

-InFamousNy- has a great offseason roster set that I’m using ..

Although with this Westbrook for Paul trade, gonna have to start a new my league lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »