Home

Direct ball to one side

This is a discussion on Direct ball to one side within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2019, 01:34 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Direct ball to one side

I've just started hitting with the PCI where you're trying to aim for the ball before you swing. But I'm wondering how to hit the ball to one side of the field. Say for example if I want to make sure I advance the runner from 2nd to 3rd by hitting the ball to the 1B side of the infield. How do I do that while using the PCI?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Direct ball to one side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythons80
I've just started hitting with the PCI where you're trying to aim for the ball before you swing. But I'm wondering how to hit the ball to one side of the field. Say for example if I want to make sure I advance the runner from 2nd to 3rd by hitting the ball to the 1B side of the infield. How do I do that while using the PCI?
IMO the best way to direct your hits with PCI is through your swing timing - intentionally swinging early or late, that is. You can kind of influence it by hitting on a certain side of the PCI too, but that's more likely to lead to weaker/unpredictable contact.

A pitch on the side of the plate you want to hit the ball to is the easiest to direct, but if all you're looking for is an infield groundout to move a runner, as a lefty you can even try to pull a ball on the far side of the plate and you'll probably roll over on it, but still hit it to the right which might get the job done.

Contact swinging can be pretty useful in this situation too, since you're not necessarily looking to hit the ball hard. The swing timing window is larger on contact swings, meaning you can get away with swinging even earlier or later than normal, and still be able to put the bat on the ball.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
Rookie

Good advice, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

This is why I use Directional Hitting (DH), as it lets you push/pull left stick to where you want to influence the batted ball. Timing, Pitch Location, Hitter Tendency, and Pitch Type all play a role in the final outcome but the intent of where you want to influence the ball is very straight forward.

When using PCI you are relying solely on Timing and to some extent PCI placement to influence the ball's direction. PCI to me never has been a realistic representation of how batters react to pitches, as batters do not "aim" their bat but rather their natural hand-eye coordination leads them to making contact with the ball. Also, when a player wants to pull a pitch (or hit to opposite field or hit a fly ball or whatever) the adjustments needed to influence that type of hit are subtle and do not require so much coordination, at least not in the way PCI translates it...again "aiming" the bat is too literal of an interpretation of how hitting works in real life.

DH allows you to influence the pitch much better and replicates the natural, subtle adjustment that a batter makes when trying to hit balls to different parts of the field.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but your question is the main reason I do not use PCI and would not recommend it for someone who is interested in situational hitting the way you seem to be.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 07-08-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
This is why I use Directional Hitting (DH), as it lets you push/pull left stick to where you want to influence the batted ball. Timing, Pitch Location, Hitter Tendency, and Pitch Type all play a role in the final outcome but the intent of where you want to influence the ball is very straight forward.

When using PCI you are relying solely on Timing and to some extent PCI placement to influence the ball's direction. PCI to me never has been a realistic representation of how batters react to pitches, as batters do not "aim" their bat but rather their natural hand-eye coordination leads them to making contact with the ball. Also, when a player wants to pull a pitch (or hit to opposite field or hit a fly ball or whatever) the adjustments needed to influence that type of hit are subtle and do not require so much coordination, at least not in the way PCI translates it...again "aiming" the bat is too literal of an interpretation of how hitting works in real life.

DH allows you to influence the pitch much better and replicates the natural, subtle adjustment that a batter makes when trying to hit balls to different parts of the field.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but your question is the main reason I do not use PCI and would not recommend it for someone who is interested in situational hitting the way you seem to be.
Thanks for that post. Certainly something to consider.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »