Home

Poll: Blocking While Using Head Movement

This is a discussion on Poll: Blocking While Using Head Movement within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should You Be Able To Block While Using Head Movement?
YES 21 84.00%
NO 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

OVR: 0
Poll: Blocking While Using Head Movement

The topic of Head Movement came up in another thread recently. Specifically, the fact that just about everyone agrees Fight Night had much more responsive and overall better head movement than UFC 3.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-strikers.html

I wanted to focus on one aspect of head movement in Fight Night vs. UFC ---- in FN you could use your block while moving your head; while in UFC you cannot. This is another reason (although not the primary reason) head movement was more effective in FN, at least in my book.

Simply put --- would you like to be able to use block while moving your head? Of course, it goes deeper than that haha but let's leave it there for the poll.

Personally, I would love to use block while moving my head, as I did in Fight Night w/ good ole Joe Frazier.

That said, MMA gloves are MUCH smaller than Boxing gloves, so you will still be going to the hospital (or cemetary lol) leaning into a perfectly timed head kick from Cro Cop !....

...but on the margin, I think the combination of blocking and head movement could make things much more interesting from a defensive standpoint.

Definitely look forward to this thread!
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

Last edited by Boiler569; 07-29-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Poll: Blocking While Using Head Movement

Yes. Input is available contrary to what the devs and GCs tell us.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

I am AGAINST the Blocking during Sways (and may be the only one, it is OK for me =), b/c:

1) Sway and Blocking are 2 different defensive mechanics with its own + and -. So, choosing wisely which one to use just now is a question to skill, strategy and yomi = gameplay diversity.

Otherwise, 2in1 = no diversity, less gameplay depth = less skill, strategy and yomi. 2in1 combi def tools is always worse, harder to balance an tune, and harder to implement right into gameplay.

2) IRL it is not possible to block fully and effectively during full Sways, possible only partially with less effectiveness.

Otherwise, implementing partial "Weak" Block during Sway - will be difficult and bring more random unpredictable results for BOTH players = less skill reliable game, less predictable gameplay.

3) As said above, UFC UD does not have Blocking Sways - it was a smart decision. Many players counting UFC UD as one of the best UFC sim games.

Why also good game FNC has it and is still fine? b/c this is a BOXING game not UFC - i.e. b/c in UFC besides Blocking and Sways you also have many other defensive tools (which are not available in Boxing), which ALSO has its own pros/cons:
- Parry into Clinch (i hope to see in UFC 4)

- Sway into TD

- Kicks has large Stopping power and range.

IF we will have 2in1 Blocking Sway it WILL NEGLECT other UFC def tools and will be a Blocking Sway festival.

Last edited by SUGATA; 07-29-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
I am AGAINST the Blocking during Sways (and may be the only one, it is OK for me =), b/c:

1) Sway and Blocking are 2 different defensive mechanics with its own + and -. So, choosing wisely which one to use just now is a qiestion to skill, strategy and yomi = gameplay diversity.

Otherwise, 2in1 = no diversity = less skill, strategy and yomi. 2in1 comi def tools is always worse, harder to balance an tune, and harder to implement right into gameplay.

2) IRL it is not possible to block fully and effectively during full Sways, possible only partially with less effectiveness.

Otherwise, implementing partial "Weak" Block during Sway - will be difficult and bring more random unpredictable results for BOTH players = less skill reliable game.

3) As said above, UFC UD does not have Blocking Sways - it was smart decision. Many players counting UFC UD as one of the best UFC sim games.

Why also good game FNC has it and is still fine? b/c this is a BOXING game not UFC - i.e. b/c in UFC besides Blocking and Sways you also have many other defensive tools:

- Sway into TD

I stand with sugata.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
Rookie

Yes, as a fan of a more sim-style game I think being able to put your hands up as you move your head seems necessary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA

1) Sway and Blocking are 2 different defensive mechanics with its own + and -. So, choosing wisely which one to use just now is a question to skill, strategy and yomi = gameplay diversity.

Otherwise, 2in1 = no diversity, less gameplay depth = less skill, strategy and yomi. 2in1 combi def tools is always worse, harder to balance an tune, and harder to implement right into gameplay.

Otherwise, implementing partial "Weak" Block during Sway - will be difficult and bring more random unpredictable results for BOTH players = less skill reliable game, less predictable gameplay.

3) As said above, UFC UD does not have Blocking Sways - it was a smart decision. Many players counting UFC UD as one of the best UFC sim games.

Why also good game FNC has it and is still fine? b/c this is a BOXING game not UFC - i.e. b/c in UFC besides Blocking and Sways you also have many other defensive tools (which are not available in Boxing), which ALSO has its own pros/cons:

- Sway into TD

IF we will have 2in1 Blocking Sway it WILL NEGLECT other UFC def tools and will be a Blocking Sway festival.
1) Being different doesnt mean they can't be used simultaneously, rolling with shots is blocking while swaying. Plenty of boxers slip shots with there guard up, having you hands low only allows you to have better upper body control.

Also more tools = more diversity not less.

2) No. Bringing more in depth defence brings more skill to the game in both attack and defense. It won't bring any randomness in as it will be built like the rest of the game. If used correctly it makes the block stronger.

3) No. It will make the game more realsitic and if that's the chosen method of defense, most common in real life, is that a bad thing? Other defensive tools should be added in addition to even it out.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:34 PM   #7
Rookie

yea please i’m sick of head movement being useless
Old 07-30-2019, 04:24 AM   #8
MVP

I think making changes to the head movement mechanic so that you can reactively avoid strikes may be even more important. Right now you can only predict and sway. Twirling the right stick is the only way you can reactively avoid strikes, but then your fighter becomes a version of Anderson Silva. So yeah, reactive head movement should be looked into imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »