Home

Is Madden 20 worth purchasing this year if you consistently purchased in the past?

This is a discussion on Is Madden 20 worth purchasing this year if you consistently purchased in the past? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Pro

jimkel's Arena

OVR: 7
Is Madden 20 worth purchasing this year if you consistently purchased in the past?

Haven't a hard time determining if this year's version is worth purchasing, where as in the past it was an easy decision to make the call. Wanted to see the opinions of other avid users
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Rookie

Heisman's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Is Madden 20 worth purchasing this year if you consistently purchased in the past

At first I said hell no, but I’m coming around. If you take it for what it is, it is decently fun. I don’t think this will be considered one of the worse Maddens, but if you have a franchise you’re invested in on 19, I would skip or wait for a sale.
NHL - Los Angeles Kings
MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
EPL - Newcastle United
Old 07-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Is Madden 20 worth purchasing this year if you consistently purchased in the past

How much do you care about CFM? If gameplay is all you really care about then it probably is. There are coverage issues in the game at the moment and the CPU ball carriers take the strangest paths downfield at times and can be blind, but the gameplay when it is working as intended is probably the best in the series. It still has flaws like the terrible 2-man animations with WRs and DBs, but a lot of the gameplay just feels more smooth and polished.

But if CFM means a lot to you and you've been disappointed with it, then no. CFM is still bare bones and not what it should be at all. It got the scenario engine added to it, but that's like putting lipstick on a pig in my opinion. Even Madden Mobile has contract holdouts in it and Madden 20 doesn't from what I've seen despite Mike Young hyping that possibility up.

And if presentation matters to you, its somehow gotten worse. It's so vanilla. But like I said, if gameplay is king for you then get it.

― Plato
Old 07-31-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

My personal opinion is that the game is worth the price of entry for the more responsive controls, RPOs, and the offensive playbook refresh alone. Stacking X-Factors meaningfully affecting the game on top of that adds that much more for me.

Franchise mode is a similar experience outside of games to Madden 19, but I think that mode is more fun to play than last year on account of the on-the-field experience improving so much. If you hate franchise in Madden 19 and were looking for a revamp, however, you might not enjoy this one.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

It's really up to you. I wouldn't tell anyone they're wrong for purchasing this game each year.

For me, I only really care about the franchise mode, and I've decided that for me, they just don't provide enough of a franchise mode to make me want to purchase the game.

I still have a few hours left of EA Access play, but I'm not sure I'll ultimately use them. I started a franchise in Madden 19 since I have EA Access, but I'm not sure how much time I'll actually dedicate to it.

The franchise experience is just very weak relative to other competitors in the sports genre and my itch for football isn't strong enough to overcome that anymore.

But again, I wouldn't say others are wrong for buying the game. Just from my limited play of 19 and 20, there's definitely aspects of the gameplay, such as pass trajectories, that stand out big time. I wish 19 had the trajectories of 20, but that alone isn't enough to me to warrant paying for another Madden game.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
My personal opinion is that the game is worth the price of entry for the more responsive controls, RPOs, and the offensive playbook refresh alone. Stacking X-Factors meaningfully affecting the game on top of that adds that much more for me.

Franchise mode is a similar experience outside of games to Madden 19, but I think that mode is more fun to play than last year on account of the on-the-field experience improving so much. If you hate franchise in Madden 19 and were looking for a revamp, however, you might not enjoy this one.

Yeah the RPOs are a huge addition. The Superstars and X Factors are a big gameplay mechanic that i don't think i could play without after using it.

Totally up to you man. I generally get the game every year and I think if you love football and playing madden you'll really like this game. Try out the ea access hours and go from there.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
Banned

TheOncomingStorm's Arena

OVR: 5

Get a $5 trial. Test the game yourself. Refund the trial. Make a decision.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkel
Haven't a hard time determining if this year's version is worth purchasing, where as in the past it was an easy decision to make the call. Wanted to see the opinions of other avid users

If you generally enjoy playing Madden, then you will like this title and it’s worth the upgrade. As others have mentioned, the on-field gameplay is much more fun —albeit, too easy— and the X-factors are, surprisingly, a breath of fresh air. However, the franchise mode is still lacking personality at launch, and is mostly void of new features. It has some bugs that will likely be addressed day 1, and others we may be stuck with.

I enjoy Madden and play year-round. If you do as well go ahead and pick it up. You’ll have more fun with it than any other title to date.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »