Home

Superstar traits do really change the game

This is a discussion on Superstar traits do really change the game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Superstar traits do really change the game

So after a week of games I definitely think the superstar trait gimmick is a hit. I definitely feel the difference between games when certain superstars are in certain positions, AND, there’s a big ratings gap between them and their opponent.

One huge example is going from a QB without escape artist to a qb with it. I drafted a QB with 90 speed but he didn’t get escape artist until he reached 95 overall (which doesn’t make sense but more on this later) and man the difference that trait makes in his scrambling ability is HUGE. Normal QB’s have a startup animation that gives that extra half second of time for a pass rusher to get a hand on him, but escape artist negates that and suddenly I felt like I had a Russel Wilson or Mike Vick sifting through the pocket to find open space.

The problem I have though is that the rhyme and reason behind some perks (at least with auto-generated players in franchise mode) is flawed and stifling. The devs have constantly stated that they pull from RPGs elements when thinking of the game, but they really missed the boat here by not letting players CHOOSE how they want to develop their superstars.

For one, I already made a post about how scrambling QBs really get shafted on their auto generated traits. I can’t seem to get a scrambling QB that DOESN’T start out with High jump as their first trait. This trait is damn near useless on RBs and especially useless for scrambling QBs who will be folding up to protect themselves on most qb runs, not hurdling over defenders.

They should try to eventually patch in 2 things (along with a few fixes to glitches in the system)

1- They need to let us choose perks for super stars. They can set it up just like a RPG where you have to have enough stats in a certain area in order to access certain perks. So if you QB doesn’t have high enough mobility (agi/spd/acc) then they can’t access escape artist. But letting use choose the perk would add a true RPG element to the game. It doesn’t make sense for that to be the perk QBs get at 95 ovr when in reality that’s the first thing scrambling QBs are able to do.

2- They need to give 3 perks to superstars at other positions. Having QB’s have 5 perks but giving other players only 2 is kind of weak. I’m sure part of that was just feeling like there’ weren’t enough perks to go around for defensive players, but I think at least players at skill positions, and linebackers and secondary should have 3. They already reserve the final perk for QBs at 95 ovr so it’s not like this would diminish the effects of the game mechanic since so few players would ever get to it.

In QB1 are you able to choose your perks?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Superstar traits do really change the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
In QB1 are you able to choose your perks?
Yes.

Which is why I don't get why we can't choose them in Franchise either. Feels inconsistent.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Superstar traits do really change the game

Yeah, in QB1 you get to choose your perks. You unlock slots at certain overalls, but you can go in and change what's in that slot at any given time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »