Home

Damage System: EA SPORTS MMA VS EA SPORTS UFC 3

This is a discussion on Damage System: EA SPORTS MMA VS EA SPORTS UFC 3 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2019, 02:44 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Me personally EA MMA damage system was better and authenic.....What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Damage System: EA SPORTS MMA VS EA SPORTS UFC 3

Never got to play EA MMA . What was it like ,if you don't mind explaining ?

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitfistssaipailo
Never got to play EA MMA . What was it like ,if you don't mind explaining ?

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Yeah. So it's 9 years old of course and it wasn't the greatest thing ever and had flaws like any game but it was still a pretty good game. I'll be the first to say that the striking animations weren't the best looking but the damage system was crucial and every fighter felt authentic in terms of posture (Nick Diaz is a perfect example) and even the way they implement their strengths was authentic. For example, Tyron Woodley was in the game and if you remember back then, tyron wasn't knocking guys heads off but instead liked to keep his back on the cage and only strike enoungh to get TD's. So starting off he would come out just like that. Slowly moving etc and then explode into a take down while keeping his back on the cage most times.

Also EA MMA felt like a true MMA game. You had traditional strikeforce rules, Japanese rules, Vale Tudo and Unified. Fight in Japan, Brazil, UK, US Strikeforce stadiums/arenas and even REALLY small venues which i though was dope. Even some pioneers like Rutten, Hayato Sakurai, Ken and Frank Shamrock, Tim Sylvia and a few more while also including strikeforce fighters from that time of 2010.

Ground Game was not its strong suit and was a bit easy to deny transitions but in order to tranistion successfully it was 'strike to pass and Pass to strike'. You could throw heel kicks from the bottom position in full guard, catch punches from bottom while having the choice to either punch or go for a submission such as armbar or triangle. Also pulling guard was a thing with most ground fighters (Ex. Shinya Aoki and Werdum). The submission battles were cool af too. It wasn't stages like EA UFC Series but an actual struggle between both fighters that looked realistic.
One of my favorite things about the game outside gameplay was the detailed stats. Again unlike EA UFC Series, the fighters stats weren't combined. It was Right Hand power/Left Hand Power, Left Leg Power/Right Leg Power, punch speed/kick speed etc and you couldn't make super cafs which was awesome imo because there was a stat cap. For example Dan Henderson who was scary in that game because of the power in his right hand. So his right hand stat would be close to 100 while his lead hand was around low to mid 90's but his left and right leg power were much lower. So it was truly about strengths and weaknesses and it was implemented in a very detailed way. FYI overeem had low and i mean LOW chin stats like in the 30's which was hilarious but it was authentic.

Finally, The damage system like i mentioned earlier was crucial. You could have 2 or 3 second KO finishes to all out bloody wars. Catching guys during a looping overhands was so satisfying vs EA UFC. It wasn't you land a hook on me during my attempt to land a looping overhand and i just eat that s*** and catch you instead but i was either getting stopped in my tracks and rocked really bad or getting KO'd really bad unless he is super tough and durable. So thats the jist of it and again it wasn't the best game ever because it lacked in certain things like any game but was an authentic mma experience
Old 08-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

EA MMA had a revolutionary damage system for its time. It was a big inspiration for the damage system in UFC 3.

Non-competitive stand-up fights were more entertaining than the stand-up in UFC 2, imo.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
Rookie

^Agreed Altair. Like you said, for it's time it was revolutionary and you can definitely tell with the inspiration it had on ufc 3's D.S. I wouldn't have minded a sequel to EA MMA also. It was a step in the right direction for authentic mma games and on their first crack at an mma game...not bad
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

EA MMA all the way.

It was such a strange game because it was missing quite a few things but at the end, fights played out very realistically. Great finish to decision ratios esp for a game with flash KOs. Extremely minimal ground game but I felt most comfortable with sub guys and ground control played out well visually although it needed a lot more positions.

But the damage system was perfect to me. The ratings might have played a huge part as well though. I made a guy Michael “Thriller” Miller who was tough as nails but an average striker and you’d have to TKO him dec win against him usually, rarely saw him KOed and he’d have the best wars but wasn’t unstoppable. The ratings system and the ratings the devs chose were the best as well. They really made the fighters feel special although the move set was so limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by TheGentlemanGhost; 08-28-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
Pro

It's worth remembering that people used to complain about hook spam since you could drop very easily. I can't imagine how this forum would have reacted towards it. Personally I liked how vulnerable the fighters were.

Also somewhat unrelated, but I thought that EA MMA did the best job at making guard dangerous while also feeling fair.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
Rookie

I use to think ea making looked so fluid on commercials then I played it....it felt like sliding on ice slapping each other lol I stopped playing before I could even notice the damage system

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »