Home

2019 Michigan Wolverines | Speed in Space

This is a discussion on 2019 Michigan Wolverines | Speed in Space within the College Football Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
2019 Michigan Wolverines | Speed in Space

Hmmm. Hasn't been a whole lot of activity in the team section here, but our annual Michigan Football thread is usually good for about 200 posts or so. I decided to keep the same format and slap a 2019 on it, although maybe just having a continuing thread to host our gripes would be better at some point.

Defense projects to take a couple of steps back this year. It'll be weird not getting upset when we let another team complete a pass or kick a FG. I'll just be rooting for us to keep 'em under 30 points instead of pitching the shutout.

Offense projects to at least be interesting to watch. Hopefully it'll also be good. Will have to outscore teams this year rather than just relying on the defense choking teams out.

Looking forward to see what the offensive schemes will look like.

Worried about injuries. Plenty of expected contributors will likely miss the MTSU game, but the mantra will be hopefully so and so is ready for Wisconsin.

Some more info about the team...preseason ranking = 7.

2019 schedule

8/31 vs MTSU, 7:30 EST/6:30 CST/BTN

9/7 vs Army, noon EST/11:00 CST/FOX

9/14 vs BYE (good for resting knees after getting cut blocked all game)

9/21 @ 19 Wisconsin, noon EST/11:00 CST/FOX

9/28 vs Buttgers, TBD

10/5 vs 20 Iowa, noon EST/11:00 CST/TBD

10/12 @ Illinois, TBD

10/19 @ 15 Penn State, TBD

10/26 vs 9 Notre Dame, TBD

11/2 @ Maryland, noon EST/11:00 CST/TBD

11/9 vs BYE (good for showing Devin Bush highlights getting the team hype AF)

11/16 vs 18 Michigan State, TBD

11/23 @ Indiana, TBD

11/30 vs 5 Ohio State, noon EST/11:00 CST/FOX

Discuss...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2019, 01:07 AM   #2
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Re: 2019 Michigan Wolverines | Speed in Space

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 08-31-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10

Excited for the season. I'm especially excited to see this new offense. With our QBs, WRs, and new playcalling I'll be happy to watch us on offense.

I also think that the defense will be much better than we think as the year goes on. It's mostly the much needed speed we added because I have faith that Brown will coach them up. Our lack of speed throughout the roster really did us in last season and I'm looking forward to a different story this season. Even if we are only laying a foundation for the next few seasons...I'll TAKE IT!

Just PLEASE BEAT OSU...that is all.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0

Were the blue end-zones new last year or is this the first year? Either way I am a fan, it's a good look.

Thanks Peyton. #18
Old 08-31-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoller1331
Were the blue end-zones new last year or is this the first year? Either way I am a fan, it's a good look.
Not new this year. I forget if it was last year or the year before. And, I agree.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2019, 10:52 PM   #6
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

My much too early observations on the MTSU game...

A bit of a downer strictly from a margin of victory/dominance POV, but the team looked fine save for too many jitters/mistakes. Fumbles, drops, muffed punt returns & stuff that's probably not going to continue at least.

Missing some key guys: DPJ, Runyan, Dwumfour. Others not at 100%: Ambry Thomas, Tru Wilson. Holding back large swaths of the playbook makes it hard to grade their play.

I couldn't really fault the playcalls except for getting that delay of game with both QBs in on the same play. And not using a 270-LB Ben Mason in short yardage.

Good to get MTSU instead of ND in a game like this. And MTSU played well and feisty so credit to them for not getting embarrassed.

Lavert had a bad game, cost the team 14 points or so. He'll be fine. Ambry Thomas had a really nice game. He'll also be fine. Josh Metellus and Brad Hawkins didn't get burned. They should be fine, too. I'm more bullish on the secondary after this game.

Patterson was trying too hard to pad his stats--went deep a few too many times when a check down was the better call. Holding the ball, taking sacks, throwing low percentage. That kind of thing. He'll be fine.

O line play was very encouraging considering I didn't even realize Ryan Hayes was in for Runyan until after halftime. Hard to know for sure with MTSU being so undersized, but the O line might be one of the best units on the team now.

McCaffrey looks even faster than last year somehow. He's a beast on the read option. Such a long strider and with great genes obviously. I almost think Patterson on passing plays and McCaffrey on running plays would be ideal if it wasn't such a tell.

Charbonnet is going to be a stud if he can stay healthy. Better than anything I thought. Fast and finishes runs like De'Veon Smith.

Vincent Gray and a lot of the other youngsters looked ready for prime time.

Defense looks better than I thought. Josh Ross is a man. I'm liking Devin Gil's number change to 8. It suits him better than 39 or whatever he had been. I wish Khaleke Hudson would show up a bit more.

DL struggling to get pressure rushing 4 hopefully won't be a recurring theme. Kind of a problem that they weren't just pancaking MTSU's offensive line. This could really hurt Michigan against teams with real passing games. I'm hoping Mike Danna can be a guy here so it's not all on Uche to get sacks.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 10

Would be nice to have QBs under center for short yardage situations though. Definitely felt like a preseason game so I take it for what it was...a W. On to Army!
Old 09-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marq
Would be nice to have QBs under center for short yardage situations though. Definitely felt like a preseason game so I take it for what it was...a W. On to Army!
don't really care for the patterson mccaffrey playing at the same time

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads »