Home

Choose player types

This is a discussion on Choose player types within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Choose player types

I really, really wish that we could pick our own player prototypes at each position like you could in previous versions. If I want an elusive HB at HB1, it's not unreasonable that I would want a power back as HB 2 or a receiving back as HB 3.

And yet, in 20 I can't do that (or else I have totally missed it), so I either have to draft a power back and don't get the scheme fit bonus, or I have to draft an elusive back and try to give them some power.

Oh well, maybe next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Choose player types

Yeah it stinks that it is tied to scheme type. There are air raid coaches who don't want a receiving HB. June Jones at Hawaii never had a real HB, he'd get a massive FB to pound the rock and be an extra pass blocker.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
MVP

I really do miss as the coach getting to design my own scheme. I don't like being locked in and see no real purpose to it.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbattisti
I really, really wish that we could pick our own player prototypes at each position like you could in previous versions. If I want an elusive HB at HB1, it's not unreasonable that I would want a power back as HB 2 or a receiving back as HB 3.

And yet, in 20 I can't do that (or else I have totally missed it), so I either have to draft a power back and don't get the scheme fit bonus, or I have to draft an elusive back and try to give them some power.

Oh well, maybe next year.
Yes, it feels like they've taken two steps forward and one step back with this.

- - -

For about four Maddens, I've a schedule of checks to ensure teams don't have stupid issues.

Step 1: Just before FA, I check every team to make sure there isn't an obvious cut they should make but haven't.

Step 2: Carefully check FA to prevent stupid signings. For instance, they drafted a first-round LT the previous year who have a 74 OVR but they still go out and sign a LT who only blocks him and prevent development.

Step 3: Draft for everyone in the first round based on their roster situation, and monitor their second round picks to prevent stupid stuff from happening.

Step 4: Prior to starting preseason week one game, I go through every roster and move players to more suitable positions. Someone drafted a pass-rushing OLB but they play a 43? Move him to DE. Someone has a good coverage FS and a good run support FS but no good SS? Move that second guy to SS. Someone has two LT but no RT? Move one. Someone has an OLB who is a better fit inside for their 34? Move them.

Step 5: Check every team for obvious cuts again and scroll through the remaining FA to see natural fits.

Step 6: After cuts and before week one of the regular season, check everyone again for stupid stuff. I'll probably tweak a bunch of contracts to give them room to sign guys that will soon be FA.

- - -

It sound time consuming but it's not too bad and it's worth it.

People ask if this makes it too easy for me to create a good roster cos I can manipulate things my way but that's the opposite of what I want. I want good teams. I want my rivals to test me.

I use my dice roll house rule to screw myself in the draft. I'll overpay in trades to give away picks. If a big team loses a player for a long time, I'll go back and redo that week to prevent his injury.

I want the challenge and am willing to work for one.

Last edited by ajra21; 09-02-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Pro

While it's far from a perfect fix, the scheme fit XP was nerfed by 80% this year. In actual practice, the scheme fit bonuses are tiny....in most cases, on the order of like maybe one extra skill point per season for a young player with a higher tier dev trait. For veterans, it's very nearly a wash.

I've been freely adding non-scheme players where they make sense, and they're keeping up just fine, so while I agree more flexibility would be nice, don't let scheme fit stop you this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »