Home

CPU Rushing Playcalling BROKEN?

This is a discussion on CPU Rushing Playcalling BROKEN? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
CPU Rushing Playcalling BROKEN?

Please tell me this isn't just my problem bros.

Ever since the patch, I am constantly seeing the CPU go extremely pass heavy pretty much ALL game.

Let me lay out my last 4 games in Franchise Mode for you. BTW I'm also wondering if this is only a Franchise issue (I only play Franchise so if anyone has results in other game modes that differ, please let me know!)

Currently in year 2 with the Las Vegas Raiders....

GAME 1
VS. Falcons
Devonta Freeman - 7 ATT / 15 YDs
Marcus Green - 3 ATT / 13 YDs
Brian Hill - 1 ATT / 3 YDs
TOTAL: 31 Rushing YDs

This one made a little bit of sense because Freeman got injured in the 3rd Quarter. Still only 7 ATT before that. Also Matt Ryan threw 55 pass attempts, completing 40 out of 55 (72%)

GAME 2
VS. Dolphins
Kalen Ballage - 6 ATT / 27 YDs
Kenyan Drake - 6 ATT/ 0 YDs
TOTAL: 27 YDs

Drake was just... terrible. Would constantly dance in the backfield, where I would catch him for -3 and -4 yards with Clowney.
BTW I was in Year 2 of Franchise, the Fins had Tua at QB who threw for 484 yards and had 39 Completions/49 Attempts for a 79% rating. He was tearing up my secondary, and I barely won with 37 seconds and a last drive, for Danny Carlson to hit a 53 yard game winning FG 33 to 31.

TBH even though they barely ran the ball, this was one of the funnest games I've played in awhile. TUA is a monster to play against.

GAME 3
VS Bengals
Joe Mixon - 12 ATT / 45 YDs / 1 TD
Tyler Boyd - 2 ATT / 1 YD
TOTAL: 46 YDs

Not too bad right... ? Well here's a strange one for you guys- THEY DIDN'T GIVE MIXON his first running attempt until the beginning of the THIRD QUARTER. Boyd literally got 2 jet sweep rushings attempts before Mixon touched the ball. Just.. Wow.

Eli Manning was the starting Bungals QB - He had 38 Completions on 45 ATT (84%) but only 277 pass yards.

GAME 4
VS Broncos
Philip Lindsay - 8 ATT / 46 YDs
Courtland Sutton 2 ATT / 14 YDs
TOTAL: 60 Rushing YDs

Justin Herbert (drafted) wasn't able to do much passing wise - 21 Completions/33 Attempts for 65% but threw 2 picks, had 2 TDs for 175 passing yards.

They were doing great early on too, when they'd use Lindsay to get crucial first downs/move the chains then Herbert was used to just throw a short TD pass at the end of the first 2 quarters & it was a close game, I believe 17-14 at the half.

AFTER the half Lindsay only had TWO rushing attempts rest of the game, and I was able to pick Herbert apart, with 7 sacks and the 2 picks to finish the game 48-17.

So basically this is a little scary, especially seeing a player like Mixon not run the ball until the third quarter OR Lindsay to have a good first half, the game almost tied, then they just stop going to him rest of the game... just want to know if anyone else is noticing the CPU AI barely run the ball throughout the game since the patch.

My D-Line is good - great but my secondary needs work. Clowney has been a beast for me... (10 sacks in the first 6 games of the season, Clelin Ferrell has 6 sacks in 6 games as well, but no player besides Johnathan Abram has more than 4 TFLs.

Would you say the AI is being smart and trying to beat up on my weaker secondary or is there a problem with just not many rushing attempts by CPU? I remember before the patch I'd see 18-21 carries by the AI's top RB, sometimes breaking out for a 100 yd game, sometimes 18 carries for like 46 yards or something like that.

SIDENOTE/UPDATE: Played the Saints in a diff. Franchise with similar results...
Alvin Kamara 10 ATT / 20 YDs
So now I'm thinking it's not just my Raiders Franchise.

Just want to know what everyone else is seeing & is there a fix besides running all 32 teams? Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: CPU Rushing Playcalling BROKEN?

This has been a theme going back years and years. Even the NCAA games had the same issue. That said, I do think the CPU playcalling is a *little* more adaptive than years past. I’ve had plenty of games where I’ll look up and see the AI has called 25 passes and 22 runs, for example.

For my part, I play pass-commit virtually every play (because I’m sick and tired of allowing 350 yards passing and 35 yards rushing every game) and even go quarters, dime & dollar way more than I should. I *think* this results in a lot more running plays being called this year, where before it wouldn’t even matter, they’d still throw 50 times to 10 runs even if I was in quarters 90% of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
Rookie

Bro madden overall is just broken. How many years simple things like this been a problem? Still not fixed
Old 09-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

I tracked every game I played during the beta and the ratio was around 70-30 pass-to-run. I've also tracked every game of played of the full version and it's gotten a little better but is still very close to that 70-30 range but is a bit lower. It almost feels like there's only a few playbooks that are actually finished because certain teams will have a much more balanced attack while most just do nothing but throw, throw, throw every single down.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
Rookie

I've noticed that the CPU play-calling was super pass heavy, but since the patch it's seemed higher to me. when i was playing dallas in CFM, Zeke rushed the ball only 3 times with 11 minute quarters. even in obvious run situations they were still passing it. heck, i think dallas receivers had more rushing attempts than Zeke because they threw behind the line a few times, which counts as a rush
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
Rookie

ILuvMN81's Arena

In my most recent franchise game I saw this is an issue too.

Devonta Freeman: 7 Carries for something like 19 yards.

I was up for all but a brief moment from the beginning so I could see why maybe it was a little pass heavy but c'mon only 7 attempts?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
MVP

I think it may be an issue with playbooks. They do not use as many run plays as they do pass plays. Therefore, the run plays should be starred higher than they are.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMN81
In my most recent franchise game I saw this is an issue too.

Devonta Freeman: 7 Carries for something like 19 yards.

I was up for all but a brief moment from the beginning so I could see why maybe it was a little pass heavy but c'mon only 7 attempts?
He only got 19 yards. If he started going 14 for 38 or 21 for 57 that would be a bigger problem. That's probably a more likely outcome than him starting to have successful plays more often than not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »