Home

The Grind of Roster Making

This is a discussion on The Grind of Roster Making within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2019, 10:56 PM   #1
Pro

dom5552's Arena

OVR: 3
The Grind of Roster Making

Hey y’all, just wanted to ask a question/ask for some advice. For the roster makers out there: how do you all get through the monotony of making 30 teams fully for a roster? Back with 2k13, I made a total conversion roster to the 01-02 season. I did the whole thing down to using Vlad’s editing tool for Xbox 360 to make sure I had the right jerseys and arenas assigned to each team. Each year since, I have tried to create that 01-02 season, but I fall short. Maybe I just don’t have enough time on my hands these days but man, I find it tough to get more than 8 teams.

That being said, what are some tips (if there are any) y’all have for keeping the roster creating interesting to keep yourself into it?

PSN: TheDom45
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2019, 12:01 AM   #2
Rookie

studdley_'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Grind of Roster Making

Nothing to do with the game itself, but to keep me into it I watch highlights of the season I'm creating and study the players and their accessories/playstyle to try to make the roster as realistic as possible. And another thing with more recent seasons (I'd say like 2009-10 to today) is watching the trailer for that years 2k to see how they made players, courts, jerseys, etc. look in their game for that year
Old 09-16-2019, 03:41 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

I have tried to come up with different types of Rosters over the years. I have gotten burnt out over the current NBA the past few years, so I started doing Fictional League Rosters. I have also done FIBA, NCAA, Classic NCAA and Classic NBA. I have to keep things changing up. Also if you can find someone to work with(Sellaz & Eaglerock for Me) it also helps motivate and save on having to do everything yourself.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 09-16-2019, 04:11 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Try to take breaks, have another go-to video game that can distract you. Make sure you have a passion for the roster you're making and realistically consider the grind and effort it will take.

I've made fictional leagues for the past 4 NBA 2k's and each year it becomes harder to want to complete them. One thing that would help me is I would go "full nerd" and do a lot of research and make word docs with blueprints and bio's of what I wanted to make. Including ratings/tendency/house rules for the rosters. I had a hard time working with people on the rosters for help because I expected too much or quality wasn't up to par. So, I decided to do everything on my own.

Best of luck and may the force be with you.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:12 AM   #5
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Don't try to be exceedingly accurate. The natural variation of results and player development and regression means your roster will never be perfect anyway.

Set a time limit, then it's about just playing the game. I've started mine today, and Im giving it 2 weeks before I start my Myleague.

I try to keep as much carryover info from the previous year as possible. This year Ive kept records of all my sigs so I just have to go find rookies.

And for a more specific tip...you know how you press circle/B to bring up the save screen in the edit menu? Pressing this on either of the play type screens will kick you back to the menu. Ive wasted 3 hours of editing in finding this out the hard way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
Rookie

Yeah, just take it slow, get to it when you have time in the day. I like to throw on podcasts or episodes of the Office during. Something to distract you if you need a brief break but not something you have to pay a lot of attention to.

I made a 98-99 roster and all the concurrent draft classes last year, I was working on it an hour a day before I went to work and it became a nice little routine. Get up, get a coffee, roster edit for an hour and hit the road.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
Rookie

Remember too, you're making your roster for YOU!! It's nice to get compliments on your roster but ultimately it's yours. If it takes you til March to finish it; so what? It's for you and your enjoyment. Do it at your pace and your timeline. Life will get in the way. Another month to 6 weeks, I won't have time to create much, if anything, but after the New Year I'll be able to finish the teams I want and enjoy the roster. Just have fun again, remember this isn't your life. Unless of course 2K hires you.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
Pro

dom5552's Arena

OVR: 3

Honestly that’s all great advice, I appreciate it! I love being able to create these rosters, especially as a Kings fan that hasn’t experienced any basketball success since the early 2000’s. I love reliving those glory days but I want to to match up to my preferences and be proud I finished it fully. I’m definitely gonna take all this advice and put it to good use!

PSN: TheDom45

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »