Home

HDR and how important is it really??

This is a discussion on HDR and how important is it really?? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0

So I figured out that by turning HDR off the frame rate is 100% better and I can’t really personally tell a difference in the picture quality so my question is and the reason for this post, how important do you guys think HDR is to a sports title like 2K20 because if you ask me I can’t really tell the difference and the game is running so much smoother now

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by AstrosAllDay85; 09-15-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: HDR and how important is it really??

It's a massive improvement for me...the lighting, specular highlights, and deeper shades etc. Hard to go back to SDR.

What TV do you have and what are your settings? There should be a noticeable difference.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:02 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
It's a massive improvement for me...the lighting, specular highlights, and deeper shades etc. Hard to go back to SDR.

What TV do you have and what are your settings? There should be a noticeable difference.

I’ve got a Vizio P55 F1, I have it in game mode and have backlight at 100 and contrast at about 75....... if there’s a difference it’s small, there’s a huge difference in FPS however, maybe look and see what u think, it’s game changing for me

Old 09-16-2019, 01:08 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 14

I'll check it out tomorrow.

I'd rather it be playable even if it means degrading the PQ. I'm surprised you can't tell a difference though...
Old 09-16-2019, 01:16 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
I'll check it out tomorrow.

I'd rather it be playable even if it means degrading the PQ. I'm surprised you can't tell a difference though...

Ya bro it was unplayable for me before, literally making me dizzy watching it stutter and glitch around, I legit don’t see a huge difference in PQ but open to other opinions

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
Rookie

Definitely make sure you have game mode on if your tv has the option, my tv was really laggy and stuttery until I turned game mode on for 2k19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung117
Definitely make sure you have game mode on if your tv has the option, my tv was really laggy and stuttery until I turned game mode on for 2k19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ya I always leave it in game mode for PS4, but this year that doesn’t help at all...... it’s crazy how stuttery and hitchy the gameplay is

Old 09-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
MVP

Crossover1's Arena

OVR: 17

Game mode doesn't help with stutter. It only reduces input lag so the game can feel more responsive in your hands.

As for HDR, it always depends on the TV, your settings, and the content. Some HDR content are better than others, but the TV and it's settings make the biggest difference. If your TV's contrast ratio is low and the TV isn't bright enough, HDR won't stand out as much but you should still see a difference when compared to SDR.

LCD sets need at least 1000 nits while OLED requires 540 nits. The reason for the huge discrepancy is due to black levels. OLED sets are absolute black while LCD sets are gray.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »