Home

#SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project (Year 2)

This is a discussion on #SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project (Year 2) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
#SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project (Year 2)

OK guys,

We're rebooting this for 2K20. Here's what 24th wrote last year:

"This is the first year of a project where we will get our ideas and wishlists to the development team. Rather than have them spread throughout the internet, the goal is for this to become the guiding document for what we want from NBA2K.

This thread is for documenting any ideas you have. Please include detailed descriptions, videos, images etc. They can be in gameplay, art direction, any of the modes, menus etc.

Readers and lurkers, please like the ideas you think would work best."

A few community members will get together and sort out the best ideas and get them onto a document which will be passed on to the dev team.

We want this to become the main channel between the sim community, and the devs. Your enthusiasm and constructive feedback will drive it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: #SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project (Year 2)

I’m going to start. This has been the BEST gameplay 2k. Everything feels so much smoother. Defense feels better. Blocks feel better. Just overall, when I pick up the game, I don’t want to stop.

The ONLY issues I have is the darn bugs man. Team options broken, contract extensions in MLO broken and the disconnects will drive you insane.

Once they get those bugs figured out, this could possibly be the best 2k. Ever. I know that’s a big statement, but that’s just how the gameplay feels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 17

All I say as a mainly offline player is if we could have our basic customization options back in mygm. Such as quarter times and custom rosters and classes. I have played with many of the new additions suck as the skill tree and the AP and relationship system and I like those but I don't think many people really care for leaderboards and how that restricts the mode so darn much. We want our sim mode with the rpg elements built in

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I'm not owed anything by anyone.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 0

The AI doesn't sub out based on foul trouble this year, unfortunately, even on default rotations. I don't know if this can be patched or anything, but it kind of throws things off a little bit.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:16 AM   #5
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

I would love to see the positional playcalling/positional pick request input moved to up on the d-pad. The shot feedback box isn't really in need of a hot key, is it? That seems like more of an option screen candidate to me. Do many people toggle it on or off during a game?

I think removing an input from positional play calls would be a nice QOL item.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

1. Add a lumbering big movement style. Make them slower when running in straight lines (they are too fast), reduce their jump height, get rid of animations that make them seem more athletic (their generic lay up animations can get their wrist above the rim) and get them out of 2 player animations against fast players than make them move at super speed.

2. Put work into sig shots. Generally speaking, they look nothing like how their real life counterparts shoot. It's fine for offliners, but onliners have no choice.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm primarily a PNO player and Legacy Issues (and a few new ones) plagued H2H play:

*Post Plays vanished from our playbooks and we still have ZERO explanation.*

Speaking of playbooks, play-calling has a bug where positional plays simply wont start sometimes. The user has to recycle and start over....all while avoiding steal spam:

Tight game 4th quarter and our plays don't work up against a 24 second shot clock? YIKES.

Zones became the meta because of the perfect storm of our players lining up 3ft behind the line, OPEN SHOTS not falling at a high enough rate, passing lane steals/deflections making zones better than they are AND the lack of clean catches--which was especially embarrassing considering CHEESERS can throw full-court passes GALORE and catch the ball in stride with no issues. Zones? As the default NBA defense? That's about as inauthentic as they come:

Zones simply can't exist without their real-life weaknesses (Open Shots, Passing, Dribble Penetration and Offensive Rebounds) and they certainly can't be a thing with passing lane steals being as broken as they are.

Freeing up movement by removing much of the bumping on defense was a welcome addition. The game flows better--but the offense has to be required to go around the defense--not THROUGH them. Its a 2K18 reboot where offensive players can turbo into defenders because Charges are so rare and there's no penalty for willfully colliding with defenders. Puzzling because we literally just did this gameplay two years ago and it was horrible. Too often these collisions result in defensive fouls because of high Draw Foul ratings--which just adds insult to injury. Gameplay like this simply can't be a thing:

Where are the redirects where dribblers still have freedom of movement but are shaded away from the basket? Right now users on offense can turbo into the defense right to the rim:

There HAS to be a downside for colliding with defenders. We need to see more Dribble Pickups, Loose Balls and yes, Charges from collisions initiated by offensive players. NOTE: Charges can't be dependent on defensive input, they need to organically take place if users insist on turboing into defenders. 2K17 did a great job with this:

In that same vein the game has to be able to determine when the defense initiates a collision and deliver consequences. Blocking Fouls have to make their return 1) They do a good job displaying perimeter mismatches w/o solely resorting to blow-bys 2) Good and solid defenders should use them instead of the bail-out tackles we see much too frequently when an offensive player gets free.

3) Lets end the practice where the defense can impede movement like this w/o getting whistled for a blocking foul:

Users can't impede movement this much and not get whistled. The defense gains too big an advantage.

Also, countering the other user should be the basis for balance/success in H2H. Gameplay that doesn't foster this has to be phased out. Case in point guys are still getting fooled on blocks to no avail. These should be an automatic foul or loss of defensive position:

This especially affects post players--ignoring blatant fouls takes away their value.

Last edited by Kushmir; 10-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
1. Add a lumbering big movement style. Make them slower when running in straight lines (they are too fast), reduce their jump height, get rid of animations that make them seem more athletic (their generic lay up animations can get their wrist above the rim) and get them out of 2 player animations against fast players than make them move at super speed.

2. Put work into sig shots. Generally speaking, they look nothing like how their real life counterparts shoot. It's fine for offliners, but onliners have no choice.
Number one is huge, fixing it would put the offline(I'm afraid sadly that they won't change it for the online folks) game so much closer to how the real NBA game plays/flows. It also would ameliorate many of the rebounds that those bigs get in the game that they don't have the athleticism to get in real life.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »