Home

Why PES2020 is not all that great

This is a discussion on Why PES2020 is not all that great within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 09-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Why PES2020 is not all that great

Basically it is PES 2019 with all its flaws plus a nicer broadcast camera and a few nice cut scenes in ML. Its the issues that make PES unplayable. To me, it's nowhere near as good as everybody makes it out to be. Totally overrated. After playing more than 50 games, I've come to some conclusions:

1. The field is HUGE...players are of the scale of under 8's Saturday morning football. This makes gameplay more reminiscent of women's football rather than men's pro football with the amount of space and tiny players. Major flaw that I'm having a hard time overcoming. Passing and moving just feels so laborious and not fluid due to the vast distances it feels these miniature men must cover to make things happen.

2. Team structure of 90% of teams is not realistic. Defensive lines are too deep and too far apart from attacking lines. Modern football has a much more compact setup with a teams defensive line to attack line no more than 30-40m apart. FIFA does this much better.

3. Players still run away from loose balls....inherent PES problem since as far as i can remember. Not good enough to not have addressed this situation yet with an apparent massive overhaul.

4. Player switching when defending is still a nightmare and no better than the problems in switching since 2017

5. Online play is a nightmare....no improvement

6. Night games look pixilated and of poor graphic quality. Grass looks ****e

7. Players still look last gen blocky

8. Commentary = yuck
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
MVP

XBox_Roughneck's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Why PES2020 is not all that great

You sound as if you don't enjoy the game for what it is and has been for the past 3 years. I'm not sure why it took you 50 games ...plus what you played in 18/19..to finally figure it out.

Game has flaws...yes...but this year's version is the best I've played out of the box to date.

Not sure I agree with any of your complaints (except the commentary)...but that's just me.

Sent from my Huawei using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2019, 12:24 AM   #3
Just started!

It sounds like you're a professional in this game. I'm just a new player, so I want to ask you a question. Is there anything like PES 2020 My club co-op team builder out there? I saw there was an app called peshub2 on Apknite, but it’s only for mobile. Trying to find those hidden gems you know!
Old 09-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBox_Roughneck
You sound as if you don't enjoy the game for what it is and has been for the past 3 years. I'm not sure why it took you 50 games ...plus what you played in 18/19..to finally figure it out.

Game has flaws...yes...but this year's version is the best I've played out of the box to date.

Not sure I agree with any of your complaints (except the commentary)...but that's just me.

Sent from my Huawei using Tapatalk
I just played FIFA 20 with realistic sliders implemented. Although it has some bugs that need to be fixed, I think so far it is a far superior game. Just the general structure of teams with defensive lines collectively pushing up, and the opposition squeezing you by compacting their structure makes it all the more realistic. The game feels allot more intense and has you on the edge of your seat most of the time. The full game is much better than the demo.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbonote
Basically it is PES 2019 with all its flaws plus a nicer broadcast camera and a few nice cut scenes in ML. Its the issues that make PES unplayable. To me, it's nowhere near as good as everybody makes it out to be. Totally overrated. After playing more than 50 games, I've come to some conclusions:

1. The field is HUGE...players are of the scale of under 8's Saturday morning football. This makes gameplay more reminiscent of women's football rather than men's pro football with the amount of space and tiny players. Major flaw that I'm having a hard time overcoming. Passing and moving just feels so laborious and not fluid due to the vast distances it feels these miniature men must cover to make things happen.

2. Team structure of 90% of teams is not realistic. Defensive lines are too deep and too far apart from attacking lines. Modern football has a much more compact setup with a teams defensive line to attack line no more than 30-40m apart. FIFA does this much better.

3. Players still run away from loose balls....inherent PES problem since as far as i can remember. Not good enough to not have addressed this situation yet with an apparent massive overhaul.

4. Player switching when defending is still a nightmare and no better than the problems in switching since 2017

8. Commentary = yuck
Interestingly, much of this would have been my review of Fifa19
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #6

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm enjoying the game, but I think most of what you say is correct. Every year I have to remind myself that PES is still PES. It's not getting the influx of cash flow and developer time that bigger games get.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
I think that's camera relative. I had to zoom in the new default camera some because near the top of the screen the players were too small for my liking.

Quote:
Agreed. Formations are too spread out. Hopefully the new patch takes of this.

Quote:
Agreed, especially on zero-assist passing where passes go wayward and certain players lock on that might not be the closest player to the ball. It was mentioned in the upcoming patch notes so here's to that.

Quote:
I haven't had any issues personally but I've seen some people struggle. I've been fooling with the next player icon thing and it takes some getting used to but it helps.

Quote:
I've played a bunch of games online and haven't had any issues. Friends, random demo matches, and even before the game went live. Had no real lag apart from the usual lag I have when I play online.

Quote:
i thought the grass in the demo looked bad but that's always scaled down to keep the demo file size down.

Quote:
FIFA definitely has much better player models.

Quote:
8. Commentary = yuck
[/quote]

Yeah it sucks. They need to give us custom chant slots back like they did on the PS3.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:47 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbonote
I just played FIFA 20 with realistic sliders implemented.
FIFA 20 is a massive downgrade from 19 in terms of on-the-pitch gameplay and for every plus they have introduced in CFM, they've screwed something up (most notably player values). Pace has improved, but the defensive play is so bad that I am here, looking for reviews on PES 20. I have yet to find a compelling reason to move from FIFA 19 with updated roster mods (PC), and I do not see the newer games being patched into success. I have yet to see a review that will make me look more into PES 20, but I absolutely cannot understand anyone in any way, sliders or not, giving FIFA 20 a positive grade.

I am so used to terribly unrealistic, arcade-style gameplay that FIFA keeps doubling down on that I would be delighted with any sort of change of pace. I am not sure this is the year, though.

Last edited by Tabemaju; 09-26-2019 at 01:51 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »